Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 AM

380 posts, read 201,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well then I think scientific fact is never truly achieved. You can tell me that it is a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow (and yes I know it doesn't technically rise so don't even go there) but who knows, one day, some event that only happens every billion years changes all that.
This cleary shows that you are confused and ignorent on a subject.
There is no fact in a future.
Facts are things from the past. Facts are something that already exists, something that already heppened.

Yes, I can tell you that sun will rise tommorow, but it will not be a fact. It will be a testable prediction.
Scientific explanations of observed facts (aka scientific theories) allow me to make this prediction with very high degree of confidence.
Since you apperently don't have any confidence in scientific theories, why don't you prove your point by betting against my testable prediction.
Since science IYO is unreliable, bet like this should be pretty rational investment, is not it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It doesn't seem like he is coming back to admit his error.
He never admits he is wrong so that is to be expected. He will simply refuse to answer your post is all.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He never admits he is wrong so that is to be expected. He will simply refuse to answer your post is all.

But he does claim that he will admit when he is wrong and that atheists will never even admit that there is a possibility that they could be wrong. As he used the "lack of vocal chords" in other species of animals to mock the theory of evolution maybe he has too much invested in correcting himself or perhaps he simply does not think it is worth his time to admit his error. Until he does his claim that he admits when he is wrong is a hollow claim.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:05 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Jeff, stick to religion please. You obviously don't understand anything about biology.
Prove me wrong instead of playing the "you're so ignorant" card.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Prove to you that no only humans have vocal cords? Do you have a dog? Bam, vocal cords!. Ever seen a cat? Bam, vocal cords! Been to the zoo to seen the Elephants? You guessed it, they have vocal cords.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Except many species of animals do have vocal chords. Giraffes do not I believe but simply Google vocal chords in animals if you do not believe me. It takes more than vocal chords to speak with humans, it takes an advanced brain as well. To think that evolution would result in a single donkey not only having that advanced brain, the vocal chords needed to make human sounds and the ability to learn the language of the locals proves once again that you really do not understand how evolution works.
Oh I see out of the thousands of species, evolution only decides to give one species an advanced brain. Makes perfect sense!

Quote:

You totally dismiss the evidence we have for species development and the effect that time and geographic distribution have on speciation. It is not us that are doing the big assumption, you are asking us to dismiss all of the evidence we have and force fit it into your own religious belief.

The only evidence you have is that different species once existed.

Quote:
No one is expecting you to believe in evolution, you demand us to have an open mind however you refuse to learn what evolution really is and how it works and feel insulted if any of takes the time to explain that you are wrong and where you can find out more about how evolution works.

Every wonder how a cow moos or a dog barks without a vocal chord. The fact is that they do not, in fact one of the treatments some people do for dogs that bark too much is have their vocal chords removed. And without sounding mocking, it is hard to remove a vocal chord if it does not exist. So once again you make a proclamation without the facts behind you to back you up.
All I did was ask a question and you have to be rude and condescending in your reply. As always.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
OK. Here we go. Not that it's hard or anything.

Quote:
Thousands and thousands of species yet humans are the only ones given vocal cords. Gee I wonder why.
It only takes one example.

Secret to Elephants' Thundering Calls Discovered | Vocal Cords & Voice

Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Oh I see out of the thousands of species, evolution only decides to give one species an advanced brain. Makes perfect sense!

All I did was ask a question and you have to be rude and condescending in your reply. As always.
It didn't, we aren't the only species with complex brains.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

You again took things out of context. As for the advanced brain I stated something like in order for a donkey to be able to talk it would have to have an advanced brain as well as its vocal chord. An advanced brain would not suddenly occur in one individual and so you concept of evolution is incorrect. I never stated that humans were the only species with an advanced brain although ours might be the most advanced but if it wasn't some other species would be. Members of the corvidae family have advanced brains and at least one species has been taught to talk. Other primate species and dolphins also have advanced brains. There is a new book out which I have not read yet that asks the question if we as humans are smart enough to test if other species are intelligent. But back to my post, you were speaking of talking donkeys and that is what I addressed.

No it is more that different species once existed, it is also about the distribution of species or families that now exist, it is about how some present day animals evolved to deal with species that do not exist in the present day. There are stacks of books that show that evolution takes a long period of time and how fossils help us to understand evolution. I had no intention of putting forth all that information in a single post, there are books out there and I have even given you titles and authors is you were of an open mind to find out just how scientist think evolution works and what the evidence for it is. Your choice not to read any of it and to continue to make the same false claims about it.

You made a post mocking evolution by question why of all the species only humans have a vocal chord. As thousands of species have vocal chords your mocking of those who accept evolution falls flat on its face. You failed to deliver a blow and fell flat on your face showing that you do not know very much about biology once again. Your original post was mocking and rude and I fail to see why you are exempt from your own rules.

And instead of admitting that you were wrong about vocal chords you instead choose to attack me and to take my comments out of context. Explaining how you are wrong is not being rude.

And you are still wrong in thinking that humans are the only species with a vocal chord and I never claims that humans are the only species with an advanced brain.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I often wonder why Christians don't have issues with other scientific theories besides evolution. Never hear them complain about germ theory, gravitational theory and other theories with solid evidence behind them. My thoughts are they only seem to have problems with those theories that seem to contradict the Bible.
You would be better off saying "I often wonder why **some** Christians . . . ."
Quite a few Christians believe the unproven idea of evolution. They are as duped on that as non-Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality