Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:15 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Because the others don't pretend to explain how we got here and by processes which counter the Creation stories. The implicit unstated narrative leaves no room for God even though they haven't a clue how life started nor what makes it subjective and not objective like everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Much of geology is dismissed, all the parts that conflict with Noah's flood. Stratigraphy for example. Geomorphology and glaciology are another two. And when claiming that the flood created the Grand Canyon some of physics are thrown out the window.

It seems like any discipline or theory in science that contradicts the Bible is dismissed even though those were developed by the same techniques that are neutral as far as the Bible goes. If it has nothing to do with their religion they will accept it, if it contradicts their religious beliefs they will call it a lie or bad science.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Because evolution is not a science but a philosophy. Astronomy is a branch of science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Now this is being on topic. See how I included the 'Because' in the emboldment?

Eusie, Eusie, Eusie. Words evade me.

OK, let's play your game. Creation is a science, right?
I never intimated that Creation is a science. I'm sure God used science to bring about the creation of the universe though.

Quote:
And the Cheshire cat and the Mad Hatter were having a tea party when Alice came along, right? Do you remember what the Mad Hatter said to Alice? Well, it made about as much sense as your above statement.
Ha! I like you too.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:35 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I often wonder why Christians don't have issues with other scientific theories besides evolution. Never hear them complain about germ theory, gravitational theory and other theories with solid evidence behind them. My thoughts are they only seem to have problems with those theories that seem to contradict the Bible.
Why should Christians complain about what science tries to establish.
Science does reveal ' proven science ' such as:
When water temperature goes up it can come to a boil. When water temperature goes down it can freeze.
That is the same with religion.
Just as temperature has an effect on water, the teaching of Christ also has an effect. - John 13:34-35
The fake ' weed/tares ' Christians have a bad effect
The genuine ' wheat ' Christians have a good effect - Matthew 7:17, 21-23

Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If the flood was only 4,000 years ago, then no that's not enough time for new species to evolve. Also, if snakes and donkeys would have evolved the ability to speak in spoken language (advanced brain + vocal chords) they would have had to de-evolve them because they don't have them today. Couldn't have happened in only 6,000 years.
Here's a question that doesn't even relate to evolution. How did animals that can't survive in the Mediterranean, such as penguins in Antarctica or species that only exist on remote islands, migrate 13,000 miles to board the ark in Palestine? Furthermore, if sea level was raised to the top of Mt. Everest, where did all the water go? It couldn't have dried up in as short of time as claimed by the Bible. In Palestine, the water would have been 5.5 miles deep.
First of all, the ' snake ' in Genesis was just Satan using that animal.
As a ventriloquist uses his dummy, Satan used that serpent.

That talking donkey was a divine intervention to teach a lesson.

There is Nothing to say Mt. Everest was the same height before the Flood as after.
The weight of the water helped create deep valleys and pushed-up mountains.
In other words, earth's surface could have been more even or level before the Flood.

How the animals adopted after the Flood, mankind will have answers during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth when Earth will become a beautiful paradisical garden as Eden originally was.- Revelation 22:2

Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Why should Christians complain about what science tries to establish.
Tries to establish? You have it all wrong.
Quote:
Science does reveal ' proven science ' such as:
When water temperature goes up it can come to a boil. When water temperature goes down it can freeze.
"proven science"? You have it all wrong. This is not proven science...it's simply is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.
Quote:
That is the same with religion.
No it's nothing at all like religion...nothing at all.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:10 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
I often wonder why Christians don't have issues with other scientific theories besides evolution. Never hear them complain about germ theory, gravitational theory and other theories with solid evidence behind them. My thoughts are they only seem to have problems with those theories that seem to contradict the Bible.
Most science is consistent with the world we live in. Evolution is confused with spontaneous generation, and secular cosmology. I have no problem with evolution. I have some beef with abiogenesis (it is effectively a rehash of a DISPROVEN theory by Pasteur, so we're either claiming an established scientist didn't exist or we're ignoring real science altogether and using the word as an excuse to secular belief) and I have a beef with the notion that evolution automatically disproves God. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:50 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Ha! I like you too.
I meant to put a smiley in there. It was meant to be a wise crack. I need to re-read what I write!

Old 05-15-2016, 02:49 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
It works like this....

Theory of electromagnetism: Good!
Theory of gravity: Good!
Quantum theory: Good!
Germ Theory: Good!
Thermodynamics: Good!
Theory of evolution: Science is evil and filled with atheists who want to destroy Christianity everywhere and those dinosaur bones were put there by Satan to trick us.
Photosynthesis: Good!
Periodic Table of the Elements: Good!
Theory of Relativity: Good!
Acoustics Theory: Good!
Chaos Theory: Good!
Number Theory: Good!
Big Bang Theory: Science is evil and filled with atheists who want to destroy Christianity everywhere and how can they believe in the Big Bang when no one was around to see it.
Cell Theory: Good!
Decision Theory: Good!
Circuit Theory: Good!

So, in general, science is great and one of the best means of understanding our universe unless it contradicts the writings of ancient goat herders. Then it's evil and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Jesus is coming again, ....
Your mates have been saying that for more than 2000 years.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:00 AM

11,029 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It works like this....

[font=&quot]
Theory of Relativity: Good!
Only because they haven't yet realized it precludes God having created the universe or the milkyway galaxy for that matter.
Mind you, that shouldn't be a problem since nowhere in the bible does it actually claim that God did create the universe (or the galaxy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality