Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 10:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Why bring it up if it doesn't matter?
Because it is true, and it took practically no time to type it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Anyways, I have said already that unless the church told them it was going to victims families, then they can do whatever they want with it, so I think you are arguing about something I never said.
You lost track of your contributions to the thread. We were talking about an interchange with a different poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:38 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,390,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Because it is true, and it took practically no time to type it in.

So you bring it up, and then when someone calls you out on the fact that this isn't simply "sensationalist journalism", you ignore it and say it doesn't matter.... Ok, buddy! Makes perfect sense!

Quote:
You lost track of your contributions to the thread. We were talking about an interchange with a different poster.
I have lost track of nothing. I was simply restating my beliefs on the issue, and responding to your response to MY post. Not to mention, you clearly said, "Face it people", which would include myself. It seems you are the one who can't keep up with what you post.

Last edited by southernbored; 05-11-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,942,152 times
Quote:
No. The childish rejoinder you had at the end of your comment dissuaded me from considering your comments as legitimate enough to warrant such effort on my part.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if that church is "scummy". That wasn't what we were talking about. We were talking about the legitimacy of the division of this specific set of donations, and the secrecy regarding how that division was arrived at.
Why did you not include my complete quote? That is also deceptive, unless you clearly indicate that it is shortened by .....

Try and apply your Christian morals next time. Or, perhaps, you did. Like that scummy church in Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:06 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Charleston church where 9 people were massacred will pocket $1.8m in donations | Daily Mail Online

Are Christians not starting to get livid with these daily, and I mean daily, mishandling of funds? In this case, this friggin' church is not even pretending that they are doing anything else but keeping over $1.8 MILLION dollars of a total of $3.3 million raised. I have no words I can put on this forum; I might get banned.

YOU Christians need to stop this problem. YOU Christians are as much as fault on this incessant malfeasance in your communities as the Muslims are for not stopping their radicals. YOU Christians need to find a backbone, and get some real morals, not morals you think exists in that fairy tale book you keep preaching from, and then only partially, because you forget the part about owning slaves and how a rape victim gets stoned to death if the she didn't scream loud enough.

Why the bleep do the relatives of the white racist who shot the victims have to sue their own bleeping church? Man this makes me angry. And I bet their are some hypocrites on this very board who will see nothing wrong with this.

I'm sure tomorrow will bring a new outrage. It is just the way so many Christian churches and their leaders seem to work in today's USA.
What if we don't think the ordinary everyday Muslim is responsible--or able--to stop terrorism?

To tell the truth, I am sick of all those Canadians whose only purpose in life is to slam people of faith. Let's bomb Canada.

You are so prejudiced and glued to silly stereotypes that it's unreal. I bet when you pass a black person, you clutch your watermelon so he doesn't steal it.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What if we don't think the ordinary everyday Muslim is responsible--or able--to stop terrorism?
I'm mostly with you on this point. A Muslim teen in the UK put it well in a tweet in which he said, basically, how the heck am I supposed to stop Islamic extremists when I don't know how, or have the courage, to so much as ask a girl out?

On the other hand no one is asking random Christian fundamentalists to share guilt by association with someone who is a nutter even by their standards, and does some crass thing like refuse to provide towing service to someone with a Sanders sticker (and a handicapped placard) based in large part on his fundamentalism. We simply want them to not either minimize or excuse such perfidy when pointed out, or claim such a person is Not One of Us. Similarly Muslims, even the relatively affluent and educated ones in the US, are perfectly capable of agreeing that a Muslim suicide bomber is doing something unconscionable and is in fact a Muslim, albeit a more conservative and radicalized Muslim than they.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,942,152 times
Quote:

To tell the truth, I am sick of all those Canadians whose only purpose in life is to slam people of faith. Let's bomb Canada.

You are so prejudiced and glued to silly stereotypes that it's unreal. I bet when you pass a black person, you clutch your watermelon so he doesn't steal it.
My, my, my. Oh my even. Aren't we being presumptive and judgmental. How christian of you, it has come to be expected. At least of the rabid ones.

If people of faith acted like they pretend that faith to teach, then there would not be an issue. You know, christians preach charity and doing good for mankind, muslims saying they are only the religion of peace, scientologists saying they only care about the you in you, and none saying they believe in magical thinking.

If your sick of the transgression of those that are faithful, then it is YOUR job to change that, not mine. I will continue to point out the horrible things that those of religion do when they invoke their religiosity. That Atlanta church used the tragedy of those murders to raise millions, under false pretenses. Pastors are in the news almost daily for either fiduciary, sexual or other moral transgressions. The Catholic church would not have been on the ropes for their sexual abuses if it was not for the publicity so many finally spoke up about.

None of what I post is conjecture or made up. It is all factual, real, and what amazes me is that there are people, who supposedly learn their morals from those faiths, who defend those that transgress. Why? Because YOU feel attacked because your institutions are wrong, and often criminally wrong?

Suck it up buttercup, because as long as the transgressions continue, people like me who HATE hypocrisy will point them out. I would love nothing better than not to have to, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. I have at least 15 other cases on file right now that are current, but many won't be posted because I try and be current, and don't want to flood the board.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:31 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,216,034 times
I think you have to consider the source too. cupper3 is a Social Justice Warrior who is looking for reasons to be outraged. I'd think all that relentless, self-righteous posturing would be exhausting, but nope. Back again, time and time again.

If he/she is okay posting that non-sense, then he/she must be okay with what I'm writing right now. If you can dish it out, you can take it. But I'm sure any bleeding heart who yells outrage so often will yell outrage at this, rather than just see it as just another post on another forum with no greater meaning.

No, the world isn't collapsing because I wrote this. Life will go on. Lol.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm mostly with you on this point. A Muslim teen in the UK put it well in a tweet in which he said, basically, how the heck am I supposed to stop Islamic extremists when I don't know how, or have the courage, to so much as ask a girl out?

On the other hand no one is asking random Christian fundamentalists to share guilt by association with someone who is a nutter even by their standards, and does some crass thing like refuse to provide towing service to someone with a Sanders sticker (and a handicapped placard) based in large part on his fundamentalism. We simply want them to not either minimize or excuse such perfidy when pointed out, or claim such a person is Not One of Us. Similarly Muslims, even the relatively affluent and educated ones in the US, are perfectly capable of agreeing that a Muslim suicide bomber is doing something unconscionable and is in fact a Muslim, albeit a more conservative and radicalized Muslim than they.
I agree with you, mordant, but that's not what cupper says in his OP. He is calling for ALL the other Christians to put a stop to what a particular Christian community is doing, as if, then he slurs every Christian with his childish and ridiculous stereotypes. Cupper is a caricature, the Archie Bunker of atheism, and I'm calling him on it.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
I agree with you, mordant, but that's not what cupper says in his OP. He is calling for ALL the other Christians to put a stop to what a particular Christian community is doing, as if, then he slurs every Christian with his childish and ridiculous stereotypes. Cupper is a caricature, the Archie Bunker of atheism, and I'm calling him on it.
Agreed. He's as much a one-trick pony, and has become as boring and ever-so sanctimonious, as jeff or Eusie.

Old 05-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
My, my, my. Oh my even. Aren't we being presumptive and judgmental. How christian of you, it has come to be expected. At least of the rabid ones.

If people of faith acted like they pretend that faith to teach, then there would not be an issue. You know, christians preach charity and doing good for mankind, muslims saying they are only the religion of peace, scientologists saying they only care about the you in you, and none saying they believe in magical thinking.

If your sick of the transgression of those that are faithful, then it is YOUR job to change that, not mine. I will continue to point out the horrible things that those of religion do when they invoke their religiosity. That Atlanta church used the tragedy of those murders to raise millions, under false pretenses. Pastors are in the news almost daily for either fiduciary, sexual or other moral transgressions. The Catholic church would not have been on the ropes for their sexual abuses if it was not for the publicity so many finally spoke up about.

None of what I post is conjecture or made up. It is all factual, real, and what amazes me is that there are people, who supposedly learn their morals from those faiths, who defend those that transgress. Why? Because YOU feel attacked because your institutions are wrong, and often criminally wrong?

Suck it up buttercup, because as long as the transgressions continue, people like me who HATE hypocrisy will point them out. I would love nothing better than not to have to, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. I have at least 15 other cases on file right now that are current, but many won't be posted because I try and be current, and don't want to flood the board.
You are so far off base it's laughable. If you have ever picked up one teeny tiny little thing about The Mighty Queen, if you've paid the least little bit of attention over the all the years I've been posting here, then you know that first and foremost the thing that means the most to me, the thing through which MY faith manifests and to which MY words and energies go is the concept that we human beings have to learn to get along despite our differences and to avoid looking at one another as a THEM, whether that means gay vs. straight, Muslim vs. Christian, black or white, and that I will go on singing that song till the day my body goes into the crematorium and reduced to ashes, and that's what I am calling you out on.

Be real. This has nothing to do with high moral ground on your part or some lofty-minded hatred of hypocrisy. You simply affect the whole nasty schtick because you ENJOY being nasty and divisive and getting the reactions you get, and your target just happens to be religious people because, as you point out, there really is lots of material to work with. This is simply your hobby. I don't think you realize how transparent you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality