Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
You're talking to someone who actually has Asperger Syndrome.

I did not say were automatic comorbids. I only said OCD or ADHD goes with the territory. Both my son and I had ADHD and a degree of OCD but not too noticeable. My brother and niece not so much.

Asperger's is a subtype on the autism spectrum.

The change in the DX does not make the subtype go away. It's just that in the US the subtype is no longer specified as such.

Revised diagnostic criteria for autism spectrum disorder in the DSM-5

Check

No.

Both A and B are requirements for the new DX of autism spectrum disorder. Criteria B does not fit me at all. See the difference?

You're talking to someone else who is on the spectrum, and who has two very different children who are both on the spectrum.

Aspererger (no "s") Syndrome was always an ASD. You are one who literally said they "are not the same thing" (see your post above) and I corrected that. AS was always an ASD, was originally considered a subtype, and no longer is. Therefore, yes, AS was always considered an ASD and therefore even before the most recent DSM update, it would not have been (and was not...and is not) some sort of mistake calling (the former) AS autism. Period.

What you're saying basically equates to: if cerebral palsy is discovered to be the reason for a person's "umbrella" description of paraplegic, she can not be paraplegic (even though she has no use of two of her limbs); she JUST has cerebral palsy. Doesn't make much sense. She is both. CP doesn't let her distance herself from the term paraplegic even if it sounds better (which I believe is the primary motivation for many Aspies cling to that term rather than "autism", but that's a different conversation for a different day).

No, AS didn't go away except in name only, because people formerly DXd with AS are now simply ASD per the current DSM.

However, if you feel criteria do not fit you then that's between you and your doctor, or rather among you, your doctor and the DSM.

By the way, it's criterion B, not criteria B.

From one perseverator to another.

Still none of this supports your assertions of what would be typical of a former-AS person, or to simplify, an autistic person, and how those would relate to Jesus's reported style, which they don't.

No one here is mistakenly putting ASD and AS together as you asserted. AS was always part of the umbrella, now there's just the umbrella with people falling all along it...which AS people always were anyway.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-28-2016 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:11 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
As for "seeing the differences", I haven't yet met two autistic people who presented in exactly the same way, and I've known, personally (not on the internet), hundreds autistic people, over a period of 13 years so far.

However, they DID all meet, as required, ALL total subcategories (they don't all need to be met in every category; exact numbers for this are given) required for a CLINICAL diagnosis of autism...yes, including the former requirements for the former DX of AS. Miss a category? No DX, sorry, go fight the schools for services on your own.

Indeed it would seem pretty shady for any doctor to put through an ASD DX without the patient meeting all the criteria...though I've heard of that sort of charlatanism too.

But to get back to the point: Jesus, as presented in words and actions according to the Bible (as this is all we have to go on), not only doesn't send up any red flags for autism, even loosely, but the ones given as examples in this thread don't appear to match up to any clinical criteria for autism, even the older ones, at least that I've ever read.

Every bright person who bucks tends isn't autistic. I'm sorry. That's mythology. That attitude may be even more mythological than the Jesus story itself.

So my vote stays "no."

By the way, here DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria for Asperger's Syndrome are the criteria for AS per the DSM-IV. I see ONE sub of a category that might even loosely tie into the Jesus myth - (ii) (a) - if we are to assume Jesus' fixation on God and salvation was a restricted, abnormally intense interest. Nothing else. Do you?

And where among those criteria do you see creativity, thinking outside the box, a sense of justice and wanting to help people? And all the other fantasies people are dreaming are an inherent part of autism?

Last edited by JerZ; 05-28-2016 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But to get back to the point: Jesus, as presented in words and actions according to the Bible (as this is all we have to go on), not only doesn't send up any red flags for autism, even loosely, but the ones given as examples in this thread don't appear to match up to any clinical criteria for autism, even the older ones, at least that I've ever read.

Every bright person who bucks tends isn't autistic. I'm sorry. That's mythology. That attitude may be even more mythological than the Jesus story itself.

So my vote stays "no."

By the way, here DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria for Asperger's Syndrome are the criteria for AS per the DSM-IV. I see ONE sub of a category that might even loosely tie into the Jesus myth - (ii) (a) - if we are to assume Jesus' fixation on God and salvation was a restricted, abnormally intense interest. Nothing else. Do you?
No. Actually, I've already said I don't think he had Asperger Syndrome.

P.S. I'm quite happy to revise my understanding of Asperger Syndrome. Perhaps we can continue this discussion in a more appropriate thread. Anyway, I'll give what you have said consideration. And yes, I do meet the criterion listed in DSM IV but only enough to be on the spectrum.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:03 AM

Shall we settle on this compromise?

Quote:
Asperger's syndrome differs from other ASDs in that the symptoms are less severe and there is no language delay. A child with AS generally has good language and cognitive (thinking, intelligence) skills. They tend to have average or above-average vocabularies and reach speech milestones at the same time as children in the general population
Further reading on this site What is Asperger's syndrome? - Medical News Today leads me to think it is indeed possible for Jesus to have had Asperger's, but I still think not probable. My vote is still "no".

Old 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post

Even the line "my god my god why have you forsaken me" is a classic BPD symptom - irrational fear of abandonment by the people they love.
I don't think a feeling of abandonment is irrational while actually being tortured to death. I suspect it was a pretty common feeling among those being crucified.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Another characteristic is a child who engages with adults in an adult conversation. My great nephew is like that.

So regarding Jesus, did he not engage in conversation with the pharisees as a boy? Discussing religious teaching?
Jesus was twelve years old when he engaged in a religious discussion with his religious leaders.

Religious Jewish males nearly universally engage in adult religious conversation with their religious leaders at the age of twelve. It's called Bar-Mitzvah. Many religious Jewish females do as well. That doesn't make them all autistic.

I would say that any 12-year-old who is unable to engage an adult in an adult conversation is the one with a disability of some sort.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 AM

261 posts, read 156,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jesus was twelve years old when he engaged in a religious discussion with his religious leaders.

Religious Jewish males nearly universally engage in adult religious conversation with their religious leaders at the age of twelve. It's called Bar-Mitzvah. Many religious Jewish females do as well. That doesn't make them all autistic.

I would say that any 12-year-old who is unable to engage an adult in an adult conversation is the one with a disability of some sort.
When my grandson, who has Asperger's, was two years old, he asked his mother why she believed in Jesus, as she couldn't see, hear or touch him!

Old 05-29-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
When my grandson, who has Asperger's, was two years old, he asked his mother why she believed in Jesus, as she couldn't see, hear or touch him!
I'm told that I was about the same age when I asked my grandfather (a pastor) why Satan couldn't simply repent and ask God's forgiveness.

And I don't have Asperger's.

Precociousness in itself is not a sign of Asperger's Syndrome.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:

Well then, that settles that!

Quote:
I'm told that I was about the same age when I asked my grandfather (a pastor) why Satan couldn't simply repent and ask God's forgiveness.

And I don't have Asperger's.

Precociousness in itself is not a sign of Asperger's Syndrome.
No it's not but it is something that one might expect from an Asperger's kid (or at least not be surprised by). My young son was different in that he was exceptionally strong as a baby and toddler and very active. Being very active is a characteristic sometimes exhibited in young kids with Asperger's. My one year old great nephew is exhibiting similar traits, strong and curious about everything but is much calmer. It will be interesting to see whether he has Asperger's. His parents have a 'tidal line' in their house. They call him Armageddon (or a corruption of his name and Armageddon). He reminds me so much of my son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
That is quite remarkable but not surprising. These kids can be very intelligent, or at least can have an unusually early intellectual development in some areas.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-29-2016 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 AM

261 posts, read 156,592 times
My grandson is highly intelligent, his perception can be uncanny and disconcerting at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality