Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:23 AM

261 posts, read 156,730 times

Advertisements

As the Bible is open to so many interpretations, people can apply any scenario to it, however daft. For instance, I was wondering if it was possible Jesus could have had Asperger's syndrome? I have some knowledge of the condition as our eldest grandson (14) definitely has it, and it is more than likely my husband has it too. The gospel stories could possibly point to some signs in Jesus, which one could attribute to a person with Asperger's. Now I am NOT stating as a fact Jesus had it, just an interesting speculation on my part. But as the Bible was written so long ago, it is highly unlikely we will ever know for sure what the characters featured therein were really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I would suggest that Jesus was high intelligent and quick witted and that he was very passionate. Would that fit in with Asperger syndrome? Possibly yes.

Take a look at Asperger's characters in history and there are quite a few candidates. Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Edison, Einstein, just to name a few. Do we know these people had Asperger's? No. We only suspect they may have.

A lot of 'Asperger syndrome' presented now days seems to me to be simple autism. My mother had autism but not classical Asperger's as such. My eldest brother and I have Asperger's. His kids have Asperger's and my late son had Asperger's. He was a very active, fired up and passionate person but not fanatical. He also had his demons (which is why he is late).

So, in my limited experience and exposure with Asperger's, I would say quite possibly, perhaps even quite likely.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I would suggest that Jesus was high intelligent and quick witted and that he was very passionate. Would that fit in with Asperger syndrome? Possibly yes.

Take a look at Asperger's characters in history and there are quite a few candidates. Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Edison, Einstein, just to name a few. Do we know these people had Asperger's? No. We only suspect they may have.

A lot of 'Asperger syndrome' presented now days seems to me to be simple autism. My mother had autism but not classical Asperger's as such. My eldest brother and I have Asperger's. His kids have Asperger's and my late son had Asperger's. He was a very active, fired up and passionate person but not fanatical. He also had his demons (which is why he is late).

So, in my limited experience and exposure with Asperger's, I would say quite possibly, perhaps even quite likely.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times

Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
As the Bible is open to so many interpretations, people can apply any scenario to it, however daft. For instance, I was wondering if it was possible Jesus could have had Asperger's syndrome? I have some knowledge of the condition as our eldest grandson (14) definitely has it, and it is more than likely my husband has it too. The gospel stories could possibly point to some signs in Jesus, which one could attribute to a person with Asperger's. Now I am NOT stating as a fact Jesus had it, just an interesting speculation on my part. But as the Bible was written so long ago, it is highly unlikely we will ever know for sure what the characters featured therein were really like.
no

Old 05-12-2016, 10:06 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:

No we don't suspect Jesus or anyone you mentioned had Asperger's. You are coming off as a member of a group that is trying to claim others as members of your group.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Err haven't we already had this exact question?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-syndrome.html

Old 05-12-2016, 02:48 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:

Your experience sounds far from limited. I'm very, very sorry to hear about your son.

I have a question for you. Dont people with Aspergers find it uncomfortable to be amongst large crowds of people? I thought that was a fairly common trait? If so I'm not sure why the link with Jesus or any other public speaker?

Old 05-12-2016, 03:08 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
A lot of 'Asperger syndrome' presented now days seems to me to be simple autism.
It has always been regarded as high-functioning autism, "on the spectrum", etc. Actually it's now been rolled into the autism spectrum and is no longer an official separate diagnosis.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
I don't think it is likely that Jesus had Asperger's or any other autism spectrum disorder, the traits don't fit what people believe they know about Jesus. However, the stories written about Jesus were not eyewitness accounts and they were composed decades or centuries after his death, so they could be complete fabrications or embellished folklore and tell us very little about the real man.

I think that the Bible accounts do indicate a person with some type of mental illness though. I believe that the Jesus from the Bible is someone suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder. This disorder almost always presents during adolescence or early childhood, which is when Jesus abandoned his family and began to act increasingly erratic. This is a list of some of the symptoms that I believe he displayed.

1. Distorted and unstable self-image, which affects moods, values, opinions, goals and relationships - really no explanation needed here, he claimed to be the son of God and be speaking on his behalf along with a belief that he possessed magical healing powers, etc.
2. Suicidal and self-harming behavior - he engaged in behavior that he knew would lead to his own death
3. Periods of intense depressed mood, irritability or anxiety lasting a few hours to a few days - his disappearance into the desert alone for 40 days where he did not eat would be just one instance of this, his anger and violent behavior at the temple would be another
4. Dissociative feelings—disconnecting from your thoughts or sense of identity, or “out of body” type of feelings—and stress-related paranoid thoughts - he claimed to be a deity sent to earth that would eventually be hunted down and killed for the good of humanity
5. Eating disorders - it was reported that Jesus would sometimes go without food for long periods of time

He also had few friends or stable relationships and engaged in the classic idealization and devaluation of people that he knew. BPDs almost always tend to see people as either good or bad - the pure virgin mother and the supposed betrayal by Judas being two great examples of this behavior along with the perfect, all knowing, all powerful father thing.

Even the line "my god my god why have you forsaken me" is a classic BPD symptom - irrational fear of abandonment by the people they love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border...ality_disorder

Last edited by phxone; 05-12-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality