Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:47 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times

Advertisements

^ So now you have changed the phrases. I repeat, the ones you listed above are ones I do not tend to use, so I suggested you go and take it up with people who do. Instead you have shifted to different phrases. Fair enough, but none of them are phrases I apologize for. I will call nonsense "nonsense" just like I call a spade a "spade". I see no reason to apologize for that, least of all from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 05:56 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No Nozz...you should listen to Tzaph.
It is what I call the "Hitchens/Dawkins Wannabe Syndrome" that causes the problem.
You can't revile and mock the traditions, culture, and theological concepts people hold...and not expcet to be looked at negatively.
All this "Sky Daddy", "Buy Bull", "Zombie Jesus" type stuff....thread after bashing thread.
Wording things in the most condescending way possible, and calling the Religious "delusional", while saying they should be cited and jailed for child abuse for teaching their Religious culture to their kids....is WHY the Atheists are viewed as "The Most Hated & Least Trusted".
And the "Pepe La Pew" technique of saying "Me?!, No Meeeeeee!" is not gonna cut it.
Is calling someone a wannabe considered name calling in your world?

Why do you keep repeating that atheists are the most hated? Remember I called you on it before and you produced a 6 year old article with a 10 year old survey. No where in that survey was anyone asked who they hated. Saying atheists are the most hated is just flat out hate mongering. Even if that were true it would mean it is the religious people doing the hating.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Is calling someone a wannabe considered name calling in your world?

Why do you keep repeating that atheists are the most hated? Remember I called you on it before and you produced a 6 year old article with a 10 year old survey. No where in that survey was anyone asked who they hated. Saying atheists are the most hated is just flat out hate mongering. Even if that were true it would mean it is the religious people doing the hating.
If you have read my posts for any length of time, you will see that I fully admit that I am not a nice person...I'm rude, crude, and basically a "Bad Guy". I have never had any issue copping to it. I've said it scores of times on this board.
Any other questions about me?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:03 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
If you have read my posts for any length of time, you will see that I fully admit that I am not a nice person...I'm rude, crude, and basically a "Bad Guy". I have never had any issue copping to it. I've said it scores of times on this board.
Any other questions about me?
hmmmm...what are you wearing?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
hmmmm...what are you wearing?
Oh, man...that's pretty slick! Gotta give it to ya...that's real good!
I admire that.
Oh, wait...the question: At the moment...my robe. Time to get some sleep.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:43 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
With stories like this.....

Religion = Brainwashing

Religion has historically been misused time and time again.

But mental illness is its own anomaly, something I lived through with my daughter. Treatment for it is barely a century old, and the disease is misunderstood by the masses. The pharmaceuticals want you to believe they are the saviour. Religious zealots want you to believe faith is the saviour. The medical world can point to statistics, as weak as they are, as grounds of proof that their methods work. There is no hard evidence that belief/faith can cure illness.

At the end of the day, any blame for the treatment of a mentally ill patient lies with the choices one makes for treatment. If the ill person makes the choice of direction, it depends if they are mentally capable of making such a decision. If a person with legal authority over the patient makes a decision, a % of fault lies with that person. And, each mental illness case is unique, thus not only is there no one size fits most, but in fact it's a crap shoot for each case.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:35 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
With stories like this.....

Religion = Brainwashing

Religion has historically been misused time and time again.

But mental illness is its own anomaly, something I lived through with my daughter. Treatment for it is barely a century old, and the disease is misunderstood by the masses. The pharmaceuticals want you to believe they are the saviour. Religious zealots want you to believe faith is the saviour. The medical world can point to statistics, as weak as they are, as grounds of proof that their methods work. There is no hard evidence that belief/faith can cure illness.

At the end of the day, any blame for the treatment of a mentally ill patient lies with the choices one makes for treatment. If the ill person makes the choice of direction, it depends if they are mentally capable of making such a decision. If a person with legal authority over the patient makes a decision, a % of fault lies with that person. And, each mental illness case is unique, thus not only is there no one size fits most, but in fact it's a crap shoot for each case.
Yes that's a pretty good summary.

A member of my extended family has found meds helpful in controlling OCD issues, but also in blunting appetite, interest and motivation, to the point of losing weight excessively (yeah they are young also. To be young again! But I digress). Getting to a constellation of meds at the right level to get the most benefit with the least downside without breaking the bank has been a multiyear, multi-physician project, almost as frustrating and concerning as the mental illness itself.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:34 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,551 times
Mixing superstitious dogma with mental health is a recipe for disaster - the equivalent of treating an ailment with witchcraft. It has no place in the 21st century.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Mixing superstitious dogma with mental health is a recipe for disaster - the equivalent of treating an ailment with witchcraft.
Sometimes literally. Not just the equivalent but the reality. Casting demons out of people ... sometimes even believers ... binding and loosing curses, the works. No kidding.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Mentally ill? Get off your meds and the Bible will cure you.
Somebody should have told the hallucinating Paul and whomever the wackadoo was that wrote Revelation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality