Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Cupper3, not that I care about your ideas...to each his own ...but why so many here
rather than in the atheist section...this, I do not understand.
If I was a mod...I would be politely moving them.
They all seem like rants against Christians, I am not one, btw.

This is really rhetorical..

This IS the general Religion section. I post to the Atheist, Christian and Muslim sections when necessary. Do you think only Christians can post in the General section?

Most of the transgressions are by Christians. That is just the nature of the beast as the predominant religion in the Western Hemisphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This IS the general Religion section. I post to the Atheist, Christian and Muslim sections when necessary. Do you think only Christians can post in the General section?

Most of the transgressions are by Christians. That is just the nature of the beast as the predominant religion in the Western Hemisphere.
His offensive and provocative posts there do not elicit the same angry responses that he gets here.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
His offensive and provocative posts there do not elicit the same angry responses that he gets here.
Offensive? Only if you feel the transgressions are just hunky dory and A-OK.

Provocative? Some are, some are meant to be thought starters that hopefully leads to real discussion, which has occurred. Mind you I do get a kick out of the pack mentality that has shown its rather interesting face the last few days. The focus has become the poster, usually me, rather than the subjects, the posts themselves. What does that say about those doing the piling on? It reminds one of a school yard in junior high.

Don't worry, my feelings won't get hurt, as I don't take it personal. That would be lowering one's self to a place I won't go to.

Now, try and discuss the issues presented, not the presenter.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:45 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Are you then condoning the actions of that church group?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
June rarely posts, but couldn't help but be drawn to this OP.

I am a psychotherapist. I have worked with more religiously-oriented patients than I could even begin to count. I am here to tell you that prayer, reading the bible, and attending church ALONE will NOT help individuals suffering from mental illness, or those who seek out therapy for any myriad of problems.

The key to this debate is this: Psychotropic medications DO play a very integral part in the recovery of patients. When properly medicated, they are able to combine their spiritual beliefs with the work of therapy, and life in general. --This applies to those who suffer from major mental illness (bipolar disorder or schizophrenia) to those who suffer from PTSD or Personality Disorders. Properly medicated individuals are able to maintain and expound, as well as incorporate their religious beliefs to their lives that make both their lives and their spirituality more productive, along with enhancing self-efficacy.

Psychotropic medications have saved lives, and have also given individuals back their lives. I have worked with more religious patients than I can begin to even count, but could give examples for. Medication plays an integral role in terms of facilitating the patient's life, including their spiritual lives! Medication does NOT eradicate their religious beliefs, but rather, helps and enhances them, as the patient (when properly medicated) is able to expound on their religious beliefs in a way that is helpful, beneficial, and sustains them.

In many respects, these have been the patients that I have admired the most....

Prayer alone won't do it. I can tell you that for a fact, based on professional experience, along with the current literature in the field of mental health. Medications DO play a role in enhancing a patient's religious beliefs, making them feel more "grounded" and strengthening their religious inclinations in ways that are more productive, stronger, and for which the patient is grateful for.

THAT has been June's experience over the course of her career as a psychotherapist.

Take gentle care.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I am a psychotherapist. I have worked with more religiously-oriented patients than I could even begin to count. I am here to tell you that prayer, reading the bible, and attending church ALONE will NOT help individuals suffering from mental illness, or those who seek out therapy for any myriad of problems.
The key to this debate is this: Psychotropic medications DO play a very integral part in the recovery of patients. When properly medicated, they are able to combine their spiritual beliefs with the work of therapy, and life in general. --This applies to those who suffer from major mental illness (bipolar disorder or schizophrenia) to those who suffer from PTSD or Personality Disorders. Properly medicated individuals are able to maintain and expound, as well as incorporate their religious beliefs to their lives that make both their lives and their spirituality more productive, along with enhancing self-efficacy.
Psychotropic medications have saved lives, and have also given individuals back their lives. I have worked with more religious patients than I can begin to even count, but could give examples for. Medication plays an integral role in terms of facilitating the patient's life, including their spiritual lives! Medication does NOT eradicate their religious beliefs, but rather, helps and enhances them, as the patient (when properly medicated) is able to expound on their religious beliefs in a way that is helpful, beneficial, and sustains them.
Prayer alone won't do it. I can tell you that for a fact, based on professional experience, along with the current literature in the field of mental health. Medications DO play a role in enhancing a patient's religious beliefs, making them feel more "grounded" and strengthening their religious inclinations in ways that are more productive, stronger, and for which the patient is grateful for.
THAT has been June's experience over the course of her career as a psychotherapist.
Take gentle care.
Listen to June on this one!!!! The churches and leaders who ignorantly (and IMO criminally) interfere with mental health protocols endanger their own souls by endangering the souls of those afflicted. It is difficult enough to get and keep such mentally disturbed individuals on medications that reduce their symptoms. Deliberately encouraging or demanding that they stop is criminal in my estimation.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:

Take gentle care.
Is there a drug that could make me (and other heathens) religious?

If so, the implications are staggering.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:59 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Is there a drug that could make me (and other heathens) religious?

If so, the implications are staggering.
No. Psychotropic medications do NOT make people religious.

There are only two "exceptions" that I can think of where individuals who were previously unbelievers changed their stance:

1) Back in the 60's, many individuals who were NOT believers ingested LSD (or peyote, etc.) and came away having had spiritual experiences. If I'm not mistaken, there was a big "experiment" done at Boston University back then, and many came away in the aftermath being believers, as a result of what the hallucinogenic drug had caused them to experience.

2) People who are in recovery from substance abuse, and attend AA/NA, have been known to become believers when they previously had not been. It doesn't have anything to do with medications, but rather the structure of the Recovery Program that adheres to a "Higher Power."

Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No. Psychotropic medications do NOT make people religious.

There are only two "exceptions" that I can think of where individuals who were previously unbelievers changed their stance:

1) Back in the 60's, many individuals who were NOT believers ingested LSD (or peyote, etc.) and came away having had spiritual experiences. If I'm not mistaken, there was a big "experiment" done at Boston University back then, and many came away in the aftermath being believers, as a result of what the hallucinogenic drug had caused them to experience.

2) People who are in recovery from substance abuse, and attend AA/NA, have been known to become believers when they previously had not been. It doesn't have anything to do with medications, but rather the structure of the Recovery Program that adheres to a "Higher Power."
I've been pretty critical of AA and their emphasis on the "Higher Power". Looking at their 12 steps, 5-6 directly reference that higher power, or in most cases, God. A credible fully secular organization is:

Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART Recovery®

I'm sure with your expertise you are very cognizant of the dismal success rates with AA that any peer reviewed study has found. It is too bad that the courts still to this day deem it to be a viable solution to addiction. Many in the field take issue with describing those addictions as a disease, rather a choice. You are likely aware of the comments made by Marc Lewis in this article about his book.

Addiction is not a disease: A neuroscientist argues that it’s time to change our minds on the roots of substance abuse - Salon.com

Old 05-13-2016, 06:40 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
I obviously think religion is a load of crock..at least prayer is but one thing you can say is at least religion doesn't cause side effects. It is unfortunate for the worst cases like schizophrenia but in many cases it is in no way worse than big pharma telling you "you HAVE to take this medication or else you will be messed up for the rest of your life" Also even if medication is the only way for cases like schizophrenia it's still not going to cure it.

I don't know personally I'd rather take prayer over those dangerous chemicals any day. Mood medication is the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality