Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:36 AM

88,610 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Glad she did so. I used to date a woman who was bipolar, but she was fully functional, and most people could never tell, as she took her meds regularly. Her being a nurse certainly didn't hurt. Her son, on the other hand, who was more severely affected, would not take his meds regularly, drank, smoke pot like it was going out of style, and we more than once had to pick him up with the request to get him into a facility.

At least he phoned. So, I fully empathize with you. It's controllable for many people, and I recognize that it affects some worse than others. But if anyone was to even suggest to go off meds and "get religion" instead, I would view that as criminal.
Mental illness a medical condition, same as any other illness affecting a different part of the body. Why on earth people think that the brain should be exempt from medical treatment is beyond me. I have heard people say they don't "believe in" therapy or psychiatry. It's not something you get to believe in or not.

On the same day she spoke to her doctor about the random suicidal thoughts that have been popping into her head, my daughter received word that she'd been accepted into the Ph.D program she'd applied to. She was ecstatic over it--but she knew she had to get her ass into the hospital for some help. They are adjusting her meds.

Unfortunately, and partially because of long-time stigma about mental illness, the science behind brain chemistry is still in the experimental stages, and there's no "take two aspirin and it will be fixed" answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,600,714 times
Quote:
This is the type of story that just makes me angry.

Mentally ill man attempts suicide after clinic replaces his meds with Bible study

From the article:
The free discipleship program he checked himself into is run by two Assembly of God pastors who hope to heal their patients of addiction, anxiety, anger, depression and “the emotional residue left by mental, physical and sexual abuse” by using prayer, Scripture memorization and developing a closer relationship with God, according to program’s promotional materials. The only requirement of the patients is that you can’t use any mood altering drugs, prescribed or not. Assembly of God churches hold as a cardinal doctrine that the Divine will heal the sick, though they do allow medical help and using prescription drugs if necessary.

How can this be defended? What kind of insane, magical thinking is required to still believe this kind of harmful garbage in today's world. What kind of laws even allow this?

Yeah, I know, he entered the program willingly, and all about the First Amendment, but there are limitations to that right, and magical thinking will cure you rather than medication and science SHOULD be one of those limitations.

But oh no, there is too large a percentage of the population that think their favorite Bronzed Aged campfire story is sacrosanct and needs to be protected, the heck with the consequences.

Bitter? Oh yeah. I had an ex-wife who was studying exorcism to "drive the devil out of the mentally ill", as the devil in them was the true root cause, not any medical issues. She became my ex shortly after starting those classes, so yeah, I have a personal stake in this. She, and this Assembly of God are both bat scat crazy.

Once again religion rears it's ugly head and shows what real harm it causes.
Hahaha man you are really grasping at straws. Like you said, the guy went there under his own free will knowing how the program operated. He easily could have gone to another program where they pump him with Valium all day long.

Also you have no personal stake in this just because you married a lady who was studying exorcism. Maybe if you asked better questions to the people you hold dear she wouldn't have been your wife in the first place. If she wasn't like that to begin with, maybe your incessant bashing of religion drove her to this belief.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:21 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
In no way am I about to "bad mouth" fundamentalist Christians. I agree with you that they are far less inclined, in most or many cases, to rely on anything other than their beliefs and faith when it comes to dealing with mental illness. That includes both seeing a therapist as well as an attitude towards psychiatric medication.

However, in fairness, I truly think we are talking about a cultural mindset here. "Culture" includes where one is born and has lived, one's inter-generational family culture inherited by the individual, and the basic beliefs that Fundamentalist Christians uphold. Again, I am NOT putting down Fundamentalists. --Do I feel that there are Fundamentalists who could benefit from psychotropic medications to treat what is truly a mental illness? --Yes. However, I also feel that one has to be respectful of the beliefs that one has been raised with, and the cultural norms of where they live, and what they believe. If meeting with a Minister or Pastor, or prayer, bible reading, and church attendance is the "norm" and culturally accepted belief for their lives and the culture that they live in, then that has to be respected.

I may feel differently than how Fundamentalist Christians feel regarding medication for a mental illness, but I nonetheless DO have to extend them the respect that they deserve.

Just because we either don't understand another, or disagree with what they believe, does NOT give us free license to call them "wrong." Respect is the key element, and should be extended to what others believe, whether one feels that Prozac or an anti-psychotic would do the job far better than prayer, church attendance, and bible study. You need to understand that the Fundamentalists feel as adversely in terms of what YOU believe, but nonetheless there is no excuse for intolerance or disrespect for a person's beliefs. One's beliefs define a large part of who they are. We all deserve that.

Take gentle care.
Why should a dangerous, potentially deadly belief be "respected?" Those who promulgate lies about mental health, such as those in the original post, are no more deserving of respect than anyone else who harms and abuses others.

And one's religious beliefs may have nothing at all to do with one's inter-generational family culture. I was not raised in a brainwashing fundamentalist cult, but I somehow ended up in one in my adulthood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Hahaha man you are really grasping at straws. Like you said, the guy went there under his own free will knowing how the program operated. He easily could have gone to another program where they pump him with Valium all day long.

Also you have no personal stake in this just because you married a lady who was studying exorcism. Maybe if you asked better questions to the people you hold dear she wouldn't have been your wife in the first place. If she wasn't like that to begin with, maybe your incessant bashing of religion drove her to this belief.
I don't know how much "free will" is involved when someone has been brainwashed by their religion, as I was. I am sickened and angered at how many years of my life I basically lost, because I refused treatment for an easily treatable condition. Prayer and Bible study did not, and never could or would, take care of my health issue.

I am shocked that anyone would defend the abuse and negligence that is being discussed in the OP. I don't know about the alleged "incessant bashing of religion" to which you refer (which, if OP is guilty of that, would understandably color your reaction to this post), but if a Christian can't call something out as wrong just because it is done in the name of faith, that is a huge problem. When harm is done because people have been sucked into these lies, is it "grasping at straws" if I cry out against those horrendous teachings?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I don't know how much "free will" is involved when someone has been brainwashed by their religion, as I was. I am sickened and angered at how many years of my life I basically lost, because I refused treatment for an easily treatable condition. Prayer and Bible study did not, and never could or would, take care of my health issue.

I am shocked that anyone would defend the abuse and negligence that is being discussed in the OP. I don't know about the alleged "incessant bashing of religion" to which you refer (which, if OP is guilty of that, would understandably color your reaction to this post), but if a Christian can't call something out as wrong just because it is done in the name of faith, that is a huge problem. When harm is done because people have been sucked into these lies, is it "grasping at straws" if I cry out against those horrendous teachings?
Unless your religion is strapping you down and pumping you with chemicals to the point you can't think for yourself then I don't buy the "brainwashed" argument.

I don't understand why this is abuse and negligence. If some people feel that this type of treatment helps them, then who are we to label it so negatively. Are we supposed to demonize this program because the treatment didn't seem to work for the guy in the story? My point is that no one put a gun to this guys head and said he must go to this program, he did it because he wanted to.

Now if I were mentally ill would I ever go to this program? No, because I am also part of the camp that thinks prayer and bible study won't work. However I am not going to demonize programs that use the methodology just because I believe it doesn't work.

Also, look at the lobby of this forum and count how many threads the OP has started and you will notice the incessant bashing of religion.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Unless your religion is strapping you down and pumping you with chemicals to the point you can't think for yourself then I don't buy the "brainwashed" argument.

I don't understand why this is abuse and negligence. If some people feel that this type of treatment helps them, then who are we to label it so negatively. Are we supposed to demonize this program because the treatment didn't seem to work for the guy in the story? My point is that no one put a gun to this guys head and said he must go to this program, he did it because he wanted to.

Now if I were mentally ill would I ever go to this program? No, because I am also part of the camp that thinks prayer and bible study won't work. However I am not going to demonize programs that use the methodology just because I believe it doesn't work.

Also, look at the lobby of this forum and count how many threads the OP has started and you will notice the incessant bashing of religion.

Does it not surprise it that it is such a target rich environment? I don't invent the transgressions, nor do I post half of the stuff that comes across my screen daily.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Does it not surprise it that it is such a target rich environment? I don't invent the transgressions, nor do I post half of the stuff that comes across my screen daily.
There are transgressions with everything in life. However, Christianity seems to be the only one you take issue with.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
This is the type of story that just makes me angry.

Mentally ill man attempts suicide after clinic replaces his meds with Bible study

From the article:
The free discipleship program he checked himself into is run by two Assembly of God pastors who hope to heal their patients of addiction, anxiety, anger, depression and “the emotional residue left by mental, physical and sexual abuse” by using prayer, Scripture memorization and developing a closer relationship with God, according to program’s promotional materials. The only requirement of the patients is that you can’t use any mood altering drugs, prescribed or not. Assembly of God churches hold as a cardinal doctrine that the Divine will heal the sick, though they do allow medical help and using prescription drugs if necessary.

How can this be defended? What kind of insane, magical thinking is required to still believe this kind of harmful garbage in today's world. What kind of laws even allow this?

Yeah, I know, he entered the program willingly, and all about the First Amendment, but there are limitations to that right, and magical thinking will cure you rather than medication and science SHOULD be one of those limitations.

But oh no, there is too large a percentage of the population that think their favorite Bronzed Aged campfire story is sacrosanct and needs to be protected, the heck with the consequences.

Bitter? Oh yeah. I had an ex-wife who was studying exorcism to "drive the devil out of the mentally ill", as the devil in them was the true root cause, not any medical issues. She became my ex shortly after starting those classes, so yeah, I have a personal stake in this. She, and this Assembly of God are both bat scat crazy.

Once again religion rears it's ugly head and shows what real harm it causes.

I guess you won't be happy unless Christianity is outlawed, will you? I've seen suicidal hopeless people gain new life and hope when they give their lives to Christ. That is a beautiful thing, not the ugliness you are promoting here. Referring to our beliefs as insane or magical is offensive. No insanity is choosing a path that leads to eternal death instead of eternal life.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
My mother-in-law is bi-polar and refuses medication. She attends a fundamentalist church (hello Ted Haggard) where it is taught that the bible and prayer are all she needs. To say she is bat-cr@p crazy is an understatement.

We have had to discontinue all contact with her as she is hateful in her comments and actions. My step-children, her grandchildren, pretty much want little contact with her as well. A couple of years ago we were in the area and we asked the kids (all teenagers) if they wanted to see their grandmother and they all replied "Na, she is nuts".

It is sad that folks like her don't realise there is help available and not all medication is bad.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:15 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
There are transgressions with everything in life. However, Christianity seems to be the only one you take issue with.
This IS the Religion and Spirituality forum, not the Bad Policeman forum or the Used Car Salesman forum.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:04 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:

I don't understand why this is abuse and negligence.
If some people feel that this type of treatment helps them, then who are we to label it so negatively. Are we supposed to demonize this program because the treatment didn't seem to work for the guy in the story? My point is that no one put a gun to this guys head and said he must go to this program, he did it because he wanted to.

If you don't believe in a cult's power to brainwash, I won't argue that fact with you. But it IS negligence and abuse of power to use mind control to the point that people's health is jeopardized. And if you have no sympathy for adults who get sucked into this, surely you have concern for children who, through no choice of their own, suffer ill effects or death due to lack of medical treatment

It is said that no one can truly understand that which he has not experienced, so you can consider yourself extremely fortunate to not understand what I and others have been through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality