Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What I've learned from this thread is that BUU is exceptionally boring and Tzaph, though she means well, is nearly as.
So, some input? You are aa theist but an irreligion theist. You must sympathize with the position of BUu, Tzaph, Bulma and VP on a god (aka cosmic mind) and rather remote from a Pantheism that is really just the wonder of nature that I have myself, except that I see no need to call it a god, let alone think of it as one.

So can you find some good points in their arguments for a god of some kind and present them, because I haven't seen anything but abandon critical thinking and just swallow certain claims uncritically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
But if you'd just stop thinking for yourself and follow what [I'm telling you] Jesus says, everything will be fine. Can I put you down for a 10% donation?
Sorry. 10% of my income is dedicated to the support of the Irish cider industry.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:45 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's where we must disagree. Without a base or rationality,there is no way of knowing whether you are on a journey of discovery or leading yourself up the garden path.
what is the difference?
and how will you ever find out which it is,
until you see for yourself?
and what's stopping you from taking the next step?

and when a person doesn't move forward they stay exactly where they are and yes it can feel really uncomfortable, and when that discomfort grows great enough, then a person makes a change. or not. they can stay in the discomfort ("i want to know more! this is important!") for as many years or lifetimes as they want. in that sense you are "fine with staying where you are" because it is your choice to take the next step. we are in a free will zone.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-01-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what is the difference?

in that sense you are "fine with staying where you are."

it's like hearing someone speak another language
it sounds like gibberish
and you don't understand it

a person will never understand what the people are talking about, without learning the language.
What you hear might indeed be gibberish, so the first step in the process is to determine if its an actual language. If not, then there's no need to make any further steps toward understanding.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
What you hear might indeed be gibberish, so the first step in the process is to determine if its an actual language. If not, then there's no need to make any further steps toward understanding.
that is correct
sort of like when little kids say "ugga bugga honga chonga" and laugh uproariously at their cleverness

that's the point the opening thread post is making "giant crabs" "flying spaghetti" "tooth fairy" see how smart we are! see how clever we are! see how superior we are! and more than anything...... see how rational we are!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-01-2016 at 12:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
what is the difference?
beliefs or at least hypotheses that are grounded in researched evidence against that which is nit.
Quote:
Science has established itself with an enviable track -record of finding out stuff that the ancients with all their revelations couldn't imagine. I don't need to do the 'seeing' for myself.
Quote:
Valid evidence. To take the next step without it is to step into speculation. That's fine, so long as yo don't say it's reliable fact.

Quote:
and when a person doesn't move forward they stay exactly where they are and yes it can feel really uncomfortable, and when that discomfort grows great enough, then a person makes a change. or not. they can stay in the discomfort ("i want to know more! this is important!") for as many years or lifetimes as they want. in that sense you are "fine with staying where you are" because it is your choice to take the next step. we are in a free will zone.
Understanding what drives us to know more means that we become comfortable with it and with the realization that we ay never know it all. Being comfortable that you know things when you don't is not for me.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
that is correct
sort of like when little kids say "ugga bugga honga chonga" and laugh uproariously at their cleverness

that's the point the opening thread post is making "giant crabs" "flying spaghetti" "tooth fairy" see how smart we are! see how clever we are! see how superior we are! and more than anything...... see how rational we are!
It's a shame if the points being made are ignored using deprecating laughter at "giant crabs" "flying spaghetti" "tooth fairy". Tooth fairy and Spaghetti monster all have points to make. Just as the heated arguments about disbelief in Santa Claus or not collecting stamps.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Except I have not been behaving thus at all, and in fact the only one with the poor behavior here is you given how blatantly you have misrepresented and lied about what I said, then ran away without apology or retraction when you were called on it.
It's a shame that you're continuing this farce of a defense for your poor behavior, seeking to deflect attention from it by posting fabricated accusations against others.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
^ It is a shame you can only copy and paste the same message multiple times rather than reply to what I said.

^ It is a shame also that you simply DECLARE I have behaved badly but have not ONCE shown how, where or when this has occurred. Whereas I have links and evidence to offer for where I have said it. Anyone who wants it, just ask.

The FACT is that when I called the other users post disingenuous I explained AT LENGTH exactly how and why it was so. When YOU do it however you simply throw out that label and.... well.... simply run away and ignore all rebuttals and challenges to it by copy pasting replies that do not even reply to the post you are throwing them at.

The other FACT is that you blatantly misrepresented me and when you were called on it you simply ran away pasting "agree to disagree" repeatedly rather than offer apology or retraction.

See the differences? Because I suspect everyone else does.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

See the differences? Because I suspect everyone else does.
Unfortunately the only people who wouldn't see the difference are the same people who advocate believing in the reality you want to be true....rather than finding sound methodologies to determine what actually is true about it.

This permits them, in their own minds, to make up mini-realities where they can righteously slander the (perceived) source of their uncomfortability (for whatever reasons they are feeling uncomfortable). And projecting bad behavior onto the (perceived) source, otherwise known as demonizing, permits them to commit the bad behavior they staunchly state they oppose while dismissing any and all valid questions and points raised. Because abusing the abuser is justified, in their minds.

Only.....what they don't realize is that they are actually abusing themselves, choosing (perhaps unknowingly) to put undue impact on words they aren't required to do so, and which have no intrinsic power over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality