Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
.....]The soul or spirit inhabits the human body, entering it at birth and leaving it at death, like putting on a coat and taking it off. in the analogy, the coat is an inert physical object, it is you inside of the coat wearing it that gives it life and makes it move. the coat is a garment worn by you. when you take it off it is a discarded garment.
Sounds amazingly like a body thetan in Scientology.

Quote:
as a human, the body is an inert physical object, it is the soul inside of the body wearing it that gives it life and makes it move. the body is a garment worn by the soul. when the soul leaves the body (at death) the corpse is the discarded garment.
Ah, so animals and plants must have souls also. Otherwise, how could they have live, according to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Certainly. As in some ways the highest expression of some ancient cultures it is bound to have some valid and enduring ideas, some of which are well expressed.
As a teen I memorized I Corinthians 13 (the "love chapter") and still find it to be one of the best investments of learning effort I made in that time of my life (even if I can only still quote 3 or 4 verses of it from memory). It made quite an impression on me. Elevating love over hope and faith is blindingly obvious (hope and religious faith being essentially just wishful thinking anyway, while real love is empathy and compassion in action) but nevertheless ... the chapter makes an eloquent case for its premise, that love is the greatest of virtues.
Too bad that particular gem is set amongst so many gnarly old chunks of concrete and cast-off detritus.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sounds amazingly like a body thetan in Scientology.
I may be wrong, but I believe in Scientology it isn't presented as an "analogy" but rather as an actuality. That's a critical difference that cannot be overemphasized. Viewing the conception as an analogy rather than an actuality distinguishes it as rational rather than irrational, in the same way that pledging allegiance to the flag is rational when it is viewed as a symbol of the nation, and would not be rational if viewed as the actual entity to which allegiance is being sworn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality