Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
He's Canadian and a was a regular on Sun Media, which was the Canadian Fox. Lefties hated them.
I've never heard of him. Do you think he speaks for all Christians? Why would we care?

Or are you posting yet another attempt to antagonize and offend in a hope of eliciting an emotional response?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:21 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never heard of him. Do you think he speaks for all Christians? Why would we care?

Or are you posting yet another attempt to antagonize and offend in a hope of eliciting an emotional response?

I think it is more a story of the reaction of others when he changed his view. Anger and threats against him or his family because he supports SSM should not be condoned or ignored. If that was directed against him because he changed his mind to oppose SSM perhaps your views would be different.

No one said he speaks for all Christians, I doubt that anyone could have that said about them. Do you speak for all Christians when you make a statement or even when you give a sermon?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think it is more a story of the reaction of others when he changed his view. Anger and threats against him or his family because he supports SSM should not be condoned or ignored. If that was directed against him because he changed his mind to oppose SSM perhaps your views would be different.

No one said he speaks for all Christians, I doubt that anyone could have that said about them. Do you speak for all Christians when you make a statement or even when you give a sermon?
Of course I do not speak for all Christians. But no one goes and posts my sermons online and then tries to suggest it's a big deal what I say.

Actually...I post them online...but I'm hardly a big thing.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:

This response sort of requires me to ask if you actually read or listened to the interview.

The man himself, Michael Coren, does not claim in the slightest to speak for all Christians. He said that his faith led him to his conclusion on same sex marriage, but admitted that plenty of people come to the opposite conclusion, and that this is perfectly acceptable if that view is presented respectfully.

His issue was with the reaction. Too few who disagreed with him did so respectfully. These were Christians. Particularly those who liked him, but only when he said things they already agreed with. He did sort of say that this behavior, of threatening and harassing him and even his family, was distinctly un-Christian. And he got far more of that than he could have dreamed. He expected a negative reaction, but he takes issue with the intensity of it. He does not say disagreeing with his view is un-Christian, which I gather is what you're getting out of this. In reality, he's saying harassing those who disagree with you is un-Christian.

He's saying that going to his sons Facebook and harassing him is not 'loving thy neighbor.'

Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
John Baird has never once showed that he was gay , as He only supported gay right to the world in the external affairs job he had , and was rejected by conservative female group ......... How come all these pack of wolves against opposition on this thread , people should have a right to opposes without being ridiculed on this forum

Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
If you are being opposed it is because a lot of people cannot now reject Gay rights and so -on. And if a lot of people object, they don't seem to me making a very good job of making a cogent argument.

Your attempt to irrelevantly drag in Baird (whoever he is) and complain that your are being mocked, is tacitly admitting that you have nothing better by way of argument.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
This response sort of requires me to ask if you actually read or listened to the interview.
No. To be honest. I don't care to listen to an interview that the OP posts. He does so many daily. it's all the same thing. It's all an apparent attempt posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
Quote:
The man himself, Michael Coren, does not claim in the slightest to speak for all Christians. He said that his faith led him to his conclusion on same sex marriage, but admitted that plenty of people come to the opposite conclusion, and that this is perfectly acceptable if that view is presented respectfully.
I never said that Coren did. I believe the implication of the OP is that Coren DOES speak for us, or is typical of us. That's why he posts 2-3 of these nonsensical posts daily.
Quote:
His issue was with the reaction. Too few who disagreed with him did so respectfully. These were Christians. Particularly those who liked him, but only when he said things they already agreed with. He did sort of say that this behavior, of threatening and harassing him and even his family, was distinctly un-Christian. And he got far more of that than he could have dreamed. He expected a negative reaction, but he takes issue with the intensity of it. He does not say disagreeing with his view is un-Christian, which I gather is what you're getting out of this. In reality, he's saying harassing those who disagree with you is un-Christian.

He's saying that going to his sons Facebook and harassing him is not 'loving thy neighbor.'
I'm not suggesting we react with vitriol, but when someone that identifies as a Christian starts teaching and preaching something that is contradictory to the revealed Word of God, he should expect a less than warm reaction.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:16 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
No. To be honest. I don't care to listen to an interview that the OP posts. He does so many daily. it's all the same thing. It's all an apparent attempt posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.
You shouldn't dismiss an opinion before hearing it.

Quote:
I never said that Coren did. I believe the implication of the OP is that Coren DOES speak for us, or is typical of us. That's why he posts 2-3 of these nonsensical posts daily.
I don't think the OP was saying Coren speaks for all Christians, rather to point out the less than Christian responses Coren got from other Christians for disagreeing with them.

Quote:
I'm not suggesting we react with vitriol, but when someone that identifies as a Christian starts teaching and preaching something that is contradictory to the revealed Word of God, he should expect a less than warm reaction.
He did expect a less than warm reaction. He wasn't anticipating hatred though.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
You shouldn't dismiss an opinion before hearing it.
Your side does all the time. You assign motives to us.

Having said that, I know what the OP is about. I know his game, and the stuff he posts. If you notice, my response was not that Cohen was wrong, or that he is some kind of bad guy. I did not comment about him -- but rather on the OP's silly habit of posting inflammatory posts.
Quote:

I don't think the OP was saying Coren speaks for all Christians, rather to point out the less than Christian responses Coren got from other Christians for disagreeing with them.

I think that's the implication every time he posts one of these silly stories. He has an agenda -- and that is to suggest religion (specifically Christianity) is dying, and that it is irrelevant. He gleefully posts these stories.
Quote:

He did expect a less than warm reaction. He wasn't anticipating hatred though.
I don't hate Cohen. I honestly don't know who the guy is. My beef is with the OP posting the same tedious stories over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's old. We all know the reason why he does it.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Your side does all the time. You assign motives to us.

Having said that, I know what the OP is about. I know his game, and the stuff he posts. If you notice, my response was not that Cohen was wrong, or that he is some kind of bad guy. I did not comment about him -- but rather on the OP's silly habit of posting inflammatory posts.

I think that's the implication every time he posts one of these silly stories. He has an agenda -- and that is to suggest religion (specifically Christianity) is dying, and that it is irrelevant. He gleefully posts these stories.

I don't hate Cohen. I honestly don't know who the guy is. My beef is with the OP posting the same tedious stories over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's old. We all know the reason why he does it.
The good, the bad and the ugly of Christian fundamentalist ideologies should never be swept into the closet. We live in an age of transparency. Fundamentalist ideologies have been allowed to hide themselves for too long. I find Cupper refreshing in that regard.

PS-- You were posting about your good deeds yes? You run out of good deeds, or something? Three good deeds? That is all? Your Good Deeds for Christianity seems to have fallen to the wayside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.