Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Those of you who have listened to Michael Coren's commentary on conservative shows know there is no question he is conservative, and little question he is Christian. I've yelled at the radio many times when listening to him.

However, he has had a change of heart on the same sex issue. He mentions John Baird, who was the well respected Foreign Minister for Canada, who happened to be gay, as a pivotal reason for his change of mind. Worth listening to.

"As my faith strengthened, my social perspectives became more liberal".

Michael Coren on changing his mind about same-sex marriage - Home | The Next Chapter with Shelagh Rogers | CBC Radio

Old 05-18-2016, 01:49 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Wow!

Quote:
My wife received an email saying "You know your husband is destined for hell." I was accused of being an adulterer, a thief, that I had a breakdown, that I was doing it all for money. I was surprised by the cruelty of people, who said they follow the son of God, but at the same time could be so incredibly ugly towards someone who disagreed with them.
None of the Christian folks I know would condone this sort of thing. In fact, I would think they would soundly condemn it!

But don't they get it? God created gay folks and even saved them from the great flood.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Those of you who have listened to Michael Coren's commentary on conservative shows know there is no question he is conservative, and little question he is Christian. I've yelled at the radio many times when listening to him.

However, he has had a change of heart on the same sex issue. He mentions John Baird, who was the well respected Foreign Minister for Canada, who happened to be gay, as a pivotal reason for his change of mind. Worth listening to.

Michael Coren on changing his mind about same-sex marriage - Home | The Next Chapter with Shelagh Rogers | CBC Radio
Worth just looking at the article. Just after leaving a thead created to warn atheists about how we are hurting secular humanism by our stridency and abusiveness, I read that the reason this bod changed his view was not agreeing with SSM, nor changing his religious views, but being appalled at the unchristian (if not far worse) attitude of those who opposed it.

There is a movement (similar to the De Botton initiative on the secular side )for finding a role for the Church to play in society when its' religious docrines and claims have ceased to have any clout.

Such people as this one, having a change of heart on social issues while retaining his religion, makes me a bit more inclined to accept that the church could have a part to play even in a secular society.
Somewhat as philosophy can suggest things for science to follow up that science itself might not think of, Religion could come up with questions and problems that secular humanism itself might not have noticed.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:

Another thread about gay people? Wow, you must be obsessed with them! Sad to see a Christian buy into the secular lie.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Another thread about gay people? Wow, you must be obsessed with them! Sad to see a Christian buy into the secular lie.
Yes, because killing gays is so much more christian, right? I bet you didn't listen to the broadcast, and have no idea what triggered his change of view, but are simply reacting to the headline.

Jeff, what incident changed his mind?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,057 times
Quote:
It must be rough watching your obsolete brand of religious fascism circling the drain, eh, Jeff?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 AM

Who wants to place bets that Jeff won't respond to the above post No 5?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:39 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
It must be rough watching your obsolete brand of religious fascism circling the drain, eh, Jeff?
Religious fascism? Tell me, are we forcing you to read the Bible? Go to the church? In your world, having to see a Christian billboard is being fascists. If anyone is being fascist, it is the atheists and secularists who demand that everyone embrace an immoral standard of society or be punished.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Jeffbase40, when you pray to your loving god, do you thank it and praise it for creating Aids?

Seriously, do you?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, because killing gays is so much more christian, right? I bet you didn't listen to the broadcast, and have no idea what triggered his change of view, but are simply reacting to the headline.

Jeff, what incident changed his mind?
Quote:
Religious fascism? Tell me, are we forcing you to read the Bible? Go to the church? In your world, having to see a Christian billboard is being fascists. If anyone is being fascist, it is the atheists and secularists who demand that everyone embrace an immoral standard of society or be punished.
Jeff, did you listen to the broadcast? Why did Coren change his mind? It's central to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.