Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:38 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I never said that, did I? Murder <> execution. The state does not murder anyone when it enforces capital punishment. God does not, either. God did not give human beings free reign to go and kill whomever we determine to be bad, and he has not commanded Christians today to execute anyone.
I understand that this is your opinion. It is not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 01:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
Quote:
Yes--they were. God declared that they should be executed.

It would be much more accurate to say that the humans that committed mass murder claimed that God told them to do it. There is zero evidence that God actually told anyone to perform executions.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Yes--they were. God declared that they should be executed.
So that makes it A-OK?

Vizio, if your god told you to kill your son, would you? Abraham was about to. How would you know it was god, and not a delusion?

Would you kill your son if you were convinced it was not a delusion?

Old 05-19-2016, 03:01 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So that makes it A-OK?

Vizio, if your god told you to kill your son, would you? Abraham was about to. How would you know it was god, and not a delusion?

Would you kill your son if you were convinced it was not a delusion?
I can answer this for Vizio, as I have asked it of him before....

Vizio: God would never ask me to kill anyone so your question is stupid.

Other person: He asked Abraham, so what makes you think he wouldn't ask you?

Vizio: *New Testament babble* blah blah blah.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Maybe God told Target to make a non-discriminatory restroom policy.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Why do you feel the need to try to belittle? What's wrong with a parent actually caring what their kid is exposed to? Is it possible for me to simply have a conviction about what is right and wrong? Why are WE wrong for having a conviction?
What is the actual fear here? I honestly don't understand the issue. If someone looked like a woman and used the woman's bathroom who would know anyway? Could you(or anyone who has a problem with this) bullet point out what you see being the dangers?

Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 PM

Viz, I noticed you mentioned being afraid for your daughter showering with transgendered or something along those lines. I did a google search and as it turns out this issue has already been addressed. I will showcase my state(go Minnesota) here but there are more.

Minnesota

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Education Since 1993. Since 1993, the Minnesota Human Rights Act has prohibited discrimination in public schools on the basis of gender identity. [OutFront Minnesota, accessed 5/21/15]
Minneapolis Public Schools: "No Reports Of Harassment Or Bullying" As A Result Of Trans-Inclusive Policy. Lynn Brun, interim communications director for Minneapolis Public Schools, stated that there have been no reports of harassment or bullying as a result of accommodations made for transgender students:
Minneapolis Public Schools is committed to providing transgender and gender non-conforming students and staff with the tools, resources, and support they need. Over the past year and half, four schools converted bathrooms to be gender neutral: Wenonah (K-2), Folwell (K-8), Seward (K-8), and South (9-12). The implementation around the gender-neutral restrooms involved teacher and staff training around gender inclusion, along with a mix of student and family engagement such as peer education at South with students speaking to classmates about the need for a different restroom; student assemblies on bullying prevention; articles in the school newspaper; and, in some cases, parent letters went out directly to families. Accommodations for changing rooms and showers for sports and gym classes are made at the site level. School administrators and work with transgender students and their families to ensure appropriate facilities are provided to meet each student's needs.
To date, there have been no reports of harassment or bullying of transgender students or other students due to these changes. [Email exchange, 5/27/15]
17 School Districts Debunk Right-Wing Lies About Protections For Transgender Students

I think you might be caught up in myths.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:20 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Viz, I noticed you mentioned being afraid for your daughter showering with transgendered or something along those lines. I did a google search and as it turns out this issue has already been addressed. I will showcase my state(go Minnesota) here but there are more.

Minnesota

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Education Since 1993. Since 1993, the Minnesota Human Rights Act has prohibited discrimination in public schools on the basis of gender identity. [OutFront Minnesota, accessed 5/21/15]
Minneapolis Public Schools: "No Reports Of Harassment Or Bullying" As A Result Of Trans-Inclusive Policy. Lynn Brun, interim communications director for Minneapolis Public Schools, stated that there have been no reports of harassment or bullying as a result of accommodations made for transgender students:
Minneapolis Public Schools is committed to providing transgender and gender non-conforming students and staff with the tools, resources, and support they need. Over the past year and half, four schools converted bathrooms to be gender neutral: Wenonah (K-2), Folwell (K-8), Seward (K-8), and South (9-12). The implementation around the gender-neutral restrooms involved teacher and staff training around gender inclusion, along with a mix of student and family engagement such as peer education at South with students speaking to classmates about the need for a different restroom; student assemblies on bullying prevention; articles in the school newspaper; and, in some cases, parent letters went out directly to families. Accommodations for changing rooms and showers for sports and gym classes are made at the site level. School administrators and work with transgender students and their families to ensure appropriate facilities are provided to meet each student's needs.
To date, there have been no reports of harassment or bullying of transgender students or other students due to these changes. [Email exchange, 5/27/15]
17 School Districts Debunk Right-Wing Lies About Protections For Transgender Students

I think you might be caught up in myths.

The new laws were never about bathrooms and change rooms. They are about the ability of anyone to use their religion as a means to discriminate against anyone they feel their religion provides rationale for. Most people that are religious will never use these new laws for that effect but by making the bathrooms a forefront issue the lawmakers will get more people on board. That there was never a wide spread or even an existing problem and that the States that brought these laws in a right wing governments all bringing in similar laws speaks to the honesty of bathrooms being problems.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:04 PM

About the second video in the OP. I think he was just making up stuff as he walked through the store. I would hope he was just a little excited and wasn't deliberately lying to people but only he can answer that. At min 2.09 he said that, while gay men made up 2% of the World's population, they represented 90% of AIDS victims. I tried to find where he got that information from and couldn't do it. The closest I came was in San Francisco where gay men make up 90% of the new cases. In the US gay men make up 53% and worldwide WOMEN account for nearly half of the victims. Here is that video again. I'll try and share it to start around the 2 minute mark.
AIDS/LifeCycle About HIV/AIDS

https://youtu.be/THstmar68ZI?t=2m2s

Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The new laws were never about bathrooms and change rooms. They are about the ability of anyone to use their religion as a means to discriminate against anyone they feel their religion provides rationale for. Most people that are religious will never use these new laws for that effect but by making the bathrooms a forefront issue the lawmakers will get more people on board. That there was never a wide spread or even an existing problem and that the States that brought these laws in a right wing governments all bringing in similar laws speaks to the honesty of bathrooms being problems.
Badlander,I have to disagree with you on that. In Alberta, the directives ARE about bathrooms, which I don't care about, AND change rooms, which I very much care about. In particular, the edict that was handed down if a young teenage girl is uncomfortable that a penis bearing self identified trans-gender person chooses to use the female change room, it is the GIRL who has to move to accommodate the trans-gender if the girl is uncomfortable.

I can not and will not find that acceptable. I have no problem a school finding an accommodation for the transgendered person, but to force a young teenaged girl to be in the same change room as someone with a penis is wrong. And to force the girl out is even more wrong.

I can't see how you could be supportive of the edict that was laid down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality