Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is only one TRUTH. It is in-arguable fact.
The fact that we always seem to be arguing about it more or less refutes the idea that it is inarguable. Maybe we should be trying to understand rather than win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 12:56 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is only one TRUTH. It is in-arguable fact.
As the result, there is only one TRUE FAITH.
True faith is faith based on The Truth.

The rest is arguable religions and only very very few know some of The Truth. But those who do, will not argue any religion as they know better than to argue to start with.
yes, i agree

Old 05-29-2016, 01:01 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
.....while still arguing that a particular faith is to be preferred above all others.
i agree with urkoz.
this is the flaw:
the arguing
and the claim that one is above all others

Old 05-29-2016, 02:30 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree with urkoz.
this is the flaw:
the arguing
and the claim that one is above all others
I don't personally believe that the use of the word arguing (which wasn't actually Stendahl's in the first place -- only the three rules themselves have been attributed to him) means quite what you and urkoz assumed. I think it is possible to "claim, maintain, or reason" something on your own without publicly arguing the point. When you weigh the pros and cons of something in your own mind, you can be said to be arguing it with yourself. And if you come to the conclusion that you have made the right decision, I think that's fine. I respect anyone who is firm in his or her convictions, as long as they respect everybody else's convictions. I wish I could remember how Woodrow put it, because I think his explanation was perfect.

The thing is, I believe that spiritual experiences are, by their very nature, intensely personal. If I want people to recognize that my spiritual experiences are legitimate, I have to recognize that theirs are, too. I can't just say, "I have had an epiphany and I have reached a knowledge of all truth. Therefore, your epiphany is BS."

Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Krister Stendahl was a Swedish theologian and New Testament scholar. He was, at one time, Professor at the Divinity School at Harvard University, where he also served as dean, before being elected Bishop of Stockholm in 1984.

One of my favorite of his many writings is Three Rules of Religious Understanding that I personally find very worth keeping in mind when discussing religion with people whose beliefs and practices vary. The three rules were:

(1) When trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies.
(2) Don't compare your best to their worst.
(3) Leave room for “holy envy.”

By (3) Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in another religious tradition or faith, elements you admire and wish might find greater scope in your own religious tradition or faith.

He believed it possible, and I agree, to put all three rules into practice while still arguing that a particular faith is to be preferred above all others. Some people have a really hard time following any of these suggestions, but I find them very admirable. What do you all think?

I had a brief moment in time when I did that and everyone noticed. I went from being really judgmental to accepting others beliefs and everyone was so happy about the change in me, and then one day I lost it.

Still trying to get it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality