Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm using 65 other books to prove Genesis. You do realize that the Bible is not just one book written by a goatherder, right? It's a collection of 66 books.

Because he actually saw God appear to him. The very child he was sacrificing was born to him when he was 100 years old and his barren wife was 90--as God had promised him. None of those other people you're referring to can say that.

It is pointless trying to have a dialogue with you because you are bereft of anything resembling logic or common sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
It is pointless trying to have a dialogue with you because you are bereft of anything resembling logic or common sense.
Because I'm not going to beg the question and just accept your presuppositions?

All you guys do is start with your presuppositions that there is no such thing as a supernatural event, and go from there. You assume the Bible is false, that there is no God, and then you try to make us prove otherwise using ONLY measurable natural means.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
No. Because it is pointless trying to have a dialogue with you because you are bereft of anything resembling logic or common sense.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No. Because it is pointless trying to have a dialogue with you because you are bereft of anything resembling logic or common sense.
And you seem to be bent on just insulting anyone that claims to be religious. I've seen zero attempts from you to actually use reason and logic.

I tell you that we know the universe has a cause because it exists? You give me a response of some kind resembling "your stupid". I get more actual reason out of a ticked off 13 year old that has been told to go clean their room. I'm sorry, but that's just the way you are. Every thread that pops up, you post non-stop insults and wise cracks. Your only purpose seems to be to try to try to antagonize those that disagree with your side.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:

All you guys do is start with your presuppositions that there is no such thing as a supernatural event, and go from there. You assume the Bible is false, that there is no God, and then you try to make us prove otherwise using ONLY measurable natural means.

It's funny the drop in "supernatural" events in the last 2000 years or so...........

And I agree with you last paragraph 100%. See you can think logically when you want to.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
And you seem to be bent on just insulting anyone that claims to be religious. I've seen zero attempts from you to actually use reason and logic.

I tell you that we know the universe has a cause because it exists? You give me a response of some kind resembling "your stupid". I get more actual reason out of a ticked off 13 year old that has been told to go clean their room. I'm sorry, but that's just the way you are. Every thread that pops up, you post non-stop insults and wise cracks. Your only purpose seems to be to try to try to antagonize those that disagree with your side.
You're close-ish. My MAIN purpose -- is to expose people like you for what they are -- but it's not the only one.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
It's funny the drop in "supernatural" events in the last 2000 years or so...........
How so?

keep in mind that there were millions of people on earth 2000 years ago. God caused some signs and wonders to occur...a few times. They didn't happen every day and to everyone. There was not a prophet on every street corner.
Quote:

And I agree with you last paragraph 100%. See you can think logically when you want to.
Good to hear. I would now challenge you to consider that perhaps some things can't be measured by natural means.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:

I would now challenge you to consider that perhaps some things can't be measured by natural means.
Let me lend you a hand.

Quote:
there is no such thing as a supernatural event,

the Bible is false,

there is no God,

proof using ONLY measurable natural means.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:34 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Since God inspired Moses to write it, I'm quite comfortable with the idea that he got the details correct...
How do you know Moses wrote Genesis, Viz? I think that many, in secular, Jewish and Christian communities agree that Moses (if he existed) had not one thing to do with the book of Genesis, at least. There is at least one clear example in the book that it was either written or edited long after the stories and accounts it gives.

Take a look at Genesis 36:31:

Now these were the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the children of Israel

Some of these kings (of Edom) lived AFTER Moses [alleged] time. In addition, the Kings of Israel and Judah and the respective kingdoms, came into existence long after the time of Moses. If Moses wrote the book, how was he privy to this future information? There are two 3 responses:

1.Moses wrote PARTS of the book and others edited or added in relevant historical markers for better reading/understanding (logical and possible).

2.Moses wrote NONE of it and the book was written much later based on oral traditions and liberally lathered in understood theology of a later time (logical and possible).

3. God told Moses everything including things well before his time and even before humans appeared and things about the future long after he was dead. (extreme stretch that requires a mind boggling amount of faith

I am thinking you are going to go with #3. You HAVE to.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 06-11-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I was temple deep in Christianity once upon a time, but no matter how serious I was about the faith, one thing I never really did or talk about is having conversations with God. I prayed, yes, and I used to believe the biblical God was out there listening to me, but I NEVER used the frequent, "God spoke to my heart" babble I seem to hear so often.
When you talk to gods it's called prayer.
When gods talk to you it's call schizophrenia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality