Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:28 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's why I said I don't know and put God in quotes. But God might be more than, too. The point was, believing that life holds the possibility of conversation with God, even if it's really only my own intuition, doesn't always yield creepy results, in my experience.
Well stated. I use my intuition all the time--ask things, let go, wait for an answer. Is that God? Sometimes I get answers in ways I couldn't possibly know on my own. I'm not asking for a mansion, a villa in France, a yacht, or a string of poloponies (let's see who gets this), but rather "what do I do?" The answer just comes, sometimes strongly, sometimes not at all. Sometimes much later.

The key is the letting-go. If you pray/seek an answer through intuition, then just take it back and keep mulling over it, you might indeed start imagining that your decision is really God talking and therefore confirming the answer you really want. Takes practice to let go.

But it's not an audible voice. If I heard an audible voice, I'd call a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I saw a televangelist once interrupt his own sermon and c o c k his ear and say, "what was that, Jesus?" and then pretend Jesus had personally told him to bring up some other point not originally in his sermon. It was clearly just grandstanding about what a special and intimate relationship he had with Jesus, so that his flock would bow to his superior god-connection.
I would have burst out laughing.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If someone commits suicide because they thought God spoke to them and wanted them to enter into paradise sooner than later, then I don't have a problem in believing them.

But if someone does illogical and stupid things to hurt or offend others and/or take pre-emptive offensive action to start a war and kill millions of children, women and elderly because they thought God told them to do so, then I suggest a psychological evaluation and possible criminal charges.
Can't rep you again, but

Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Are you lying for jesus or just don't know your bible as well as an atheist?

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

Yea, Isaac knew all about the plan of HIM being the burnt offering.

Nothing says, willing participant, like being bound.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+22
You're asking a devout Orthodox Jewish woman if she is lying for Jesus?

I'd be curious enough to ask her how the Jewish sages come to that conclusion, but I know she won't be able to post till Tuesday because of a holiday.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:53 AM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well stated. I use my intuition all the time--ask things, let go, wait for an answer. Is that God? Sometimes I get answers in ways I couldn't possibly know on my own. I'm not asking for a mansion, a villa in France, a yacht, or a string of poloponies (let's see who gets this), but rather "what do I do?" The answer just comes, sometimes strongly, sometimes not at all. Sometimes much later.
The key is the letting-go. If you pray/seek an answer through intuition, then just take it back and keep mulling over it, you might indeed start imagining that your decision is really God talking and therefore confirming the answer you really want. Takes practice to let go.
But it's not an audible voice. If I heard an audible voice, I'd call a doctor.
I enjoyed the Honeymooners and you are correct. Some of the greatest innovations have come from intuition after long hours struggling with a problem, then "letting go" of it completely. The sudden insight can come in a dream or at some later time.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 PM

646 posts, read 465,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're asking a devout Orthodox Jewish woman if she is lying for Jesus?

I'd be curious enough to ask her how the Jewish sages come to that conclusion, but I know she won't be able to post till Tuesday because of a holiday.
The age thing: One reason is that Yitzchak carried the wood for the sacrifice. Had he been a young boy he would not have been able to do that because you obviously need a lot of strength to do that. This also means that he could have easily overpowered his father had he wanted to at some point.

The sages disagree on the actual age, as far as I know. Some say as young as mid-20s while the "most common" version (e.g of the famous sage Rashi if I am not mistaken) is that he was 37 years old.

There are also other Jewish texts that hint at that Yitzchak, despite the way the Torah text seems to be written, participated willingly in the sacrifice for various reasons.

Last edited by Cliksder; 06-12-2016 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
The age thing: One reason is that Yitzchak carried the wood for the sacrifice. Had he been a young boy he would not have been able to do that because you obviously need a lot of strength to do that. This also means that he could have easily overpowered his father had he wanted to at some point.

The sages disagree on the actual age, as far as I know. Some say as young as mid-20s while the "most common" version (e.g of the famous sage Rashi if I am not mistaken) is that he was 37 years old.

There are also other Jewish texts that hint at that Yitzchak, despite the way the Torah text seems to be written, participated willingly in the sacrifice for various reasons.
Thank you for the explanation. I like information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality