Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I saw a televangelist once interrupt his own sermon and c o c k his ear and say, "what was that, Jesus?" and then pretend Jesus had personally told him to bring up some other point not originally in his sermon. It was clearly just grandstanding about what a special and intimate relationship he had with Jesus, so that his flock would bow to his superior god-connection.
Unfortunately, too many Grandmas buy into that nonsense and send large checks because Jesus talks to him. Why do people believe that stuff? For the same reason that many people on this very board are quick to condemn anyone that dares to identify what Christianity is and isn't. People are unwilling and unable to identify what true Christianity actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Yeah, I know I am out of that loop now and I know what the folks still trapped in there feel like, but when you are on the outside looking in, you just cannot help but get the same feeling you get when you see or hear people talking to or about an imaginary friend who helps them calm their fears, build up their courage or who holds their hands in difficult situation. You know no one is there, but it works for them.
You know that something which is calming fears and giving courage is purely imaginary?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:49 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Unfortunately, too many Grandmas buy into that nonsense and send large checks because Jesus talks to him.
Man, if I just had a little less heart, I would have stayed within the Christian faith and made some serious money. They were grooming for to be a minister and I refused time and time again fearing two things:

1. "Chicks" in church dig pastors and will throw their "assets" at you (kinda like at work where some lonely wife starts seeking you out to share her sorrows).

2. People are just gullible and looking for leadership. Like taking candy from a child.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:49 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
God will choose those He want's in heaven, based on obedience, not claims. Matthew 7;21 John 15;

This is interesting. But that's not the main stream Christian belief, correct?

Or perhaps the meaning of "obedience" is different then we generally understand?

Do you mean "obedience" is accepting Jesus as the lord and savior, and then you are saved for good. Once saved, always saved. You can then rape, kill, steal, lie, cheat and do whatever, even leave Christianity - you are saved.

Is that what obedience mean?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Do you feel like you shouldn't discuss the strange things about cults and wackos you don't like ? You think it's wrong to discuss crazy stuff Scientologists do, or Jim Jones, or David Koresh ?
Why bring this stuff up in the first place? All I'm saying is that some folks appear to have no other purpose on here except to bash Christianity, God, believers, etc. That says a lot about them.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You know that something which is calming fears and giving courage is purely imaginary?
Well, I have yet to see the person they are referring to so I'd go with imaginary, yes. I'm taking about a person they keep referring to, not liquor or drugs, mind you.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why bring this stuff up in the first place? All I'm saying is that some folks appear to have no other purpose on here except to bash Christianity, God, believers, etc. That says a lot about them.
Yeah, I was feeling a little haunted when I posted the OP or I just happened to see quite a bit of it and decided to talk about it. An observation was made and I shared it.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Man, if I just had a little less heart, I would have stayed within the Christian faith and made some serious money. They were grooming for to be a minister and I refused time and time again fearing two things:

1. "Chicks" in church dig pastors and will throw their "assets" at you (kinda like at work where some lonely wife starts seeking you out to share her sorrows).

2. People are just gullible and looking for leadership. Like taking candy from a child.
Unfortunately, yes--that's true. And I believe there is a special place in hell for people that rob God's flock like that. Of course, there are also a lot of people that are really not interested in sound Christian doctrine, but merely want to have their ears tickled by guys (and women) like that.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:01 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Well, I have yet to see the person they are referring to so I'd go with imaginary, yes. I'm taking about a person they keep referring to, not liquor or drugs, mind you.
You mean "God" . Which for some people is represented by a person they call Jesus.

If there is a God who in some way communicates comfort to the minds of people, I doubt that God is concerned if people receive comfort more easily by having a concrete concept of God as a person that they can relate to.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

These comments on Facebook in reaction to a meme talking about people who feel abaondoned by God is what prompted this thread:

"God has never seemed far away from me since I gave my heart to Him when I was eleven years old. He has been at my side immediately when I was in distress or upheaval of any sort and gave calm to my spirit"

" I too gave my heart to God early on....age 9....and I knew he was with me..."

"His spirit is ALWAYS with you... Sometimes right before he is about to promote you to something higher, he makes you feel alone so he can test you!"

"when God seems far away, you will find Him in the last place you would think to look, standing right beside you, feeling all your feelings with you."

I realize these are real people and we all seek relief, escape, comfort in a variety of ways, but when I read these things now, it just seems like children in their respective rooms, all by themselves, interacting with an imaginary tea time friend. In some circles, this is okay because it helps some people to cope or just shows they have a very wild imagination so I get it, but it still gives an air of creepiness to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality