Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 10:20 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why bring this stuff up in the first place? All I'm saying is that some folks appear to have no other purpose on here except to bash Christianity, God, believers, etc. That says a lot about them.
No. You called someone a troll. You want pure and white. Christianity is messy. Very messy. You want comfortable and easy. Christianity is neither.

Are you afraid your faith cannot stand criticism and poking, and stirring? Is your faith that fragile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:21 AM

689 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I was temple deep in Christianity once upon a time, but no matter how serious I was about the faith, one thing I never really did or talk about is having conversations with God. I prayed, yes, and I used to believe the biblical God was out there listening to me, but I NEVER used the frequent, "God spoke to my heart" babble I seem to hear so often. So, it comes off to me as a very creepy thing when I scroll my Facebook newsfeed and peep in on some of the religious threads some of my friends are part of and see people talking about talking to God or him talking to them or them talking about God being by their side, directing them, helping them make life's decisions and so forth. It just seems creepy and crazy all at the same time.

If that is the case with their belief, then he is watching them have sex, take a crap, masturbating, picking their noses, pulling their underwear out their butt crack and other things we all do in private or when no one is watching, but God's watching, apparently.

Then there are the greasy looking televangelist who give these stories of themselves having these intimate conversations with God.

"So, I was sitting on my lawn chair and the lord came to me and said, 'go mow the lawn!' And then I said, 'why Lord?' Then, listen to this here! The Lord told me, 'don't ask me dumb questions! It needs mowing. You rather hear your wife's clap trap or mine?'

Yeah, like I said, creepy and crazy all at once.

Anyone else feel this way or see it like this?
Why do you have to assume that this is the only way how God communicates with humans?

Acts 14:3 (NIV)
So Paul and Barnabas spent considerable time there, speaking boldly for the Lord, who confirmed the message of his grace by enabling them to do miraculous signs and wonders.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Why bring this stuff up in the first place? All I'm saying is that some folks appear to have no other purpose on here except to bash Christianity, God, believers, etc. That says a lot about them.

This is a discussion site about religion . Christianity is the dominant religion in the west , so the one most often discussed . And it's rife with hucksters preying on the gullible Christians.

Why should this be a topic to avoid discussion on ?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:37 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place .
Those who are in a relationship with Him enjoy/depend/encourage this interaction.
However, those whom prefer religion, may never know the healing, peace, comfort,
direction, and assurance God provides .
Yes.

I used to be on the outside looking at these people saying God told them this and that...
Joyce Meyer does that often. And what is this speaking in tongues stuff? HUGE mystery!!!!!

I was all, "What?"

All I can say is, ''Now I get it.''

And I completely understand what it looks like to others. I dunno about 'creepy'...but,
it certainly looks 'nuts', I know!

There are 2 worlds...1. The logical, linear world that seems concrete; so one walks in a world of
what he sees and is 'solid'. (Ha, as if anything is 'solid'!)
A world that is squarely in the 3rd dimension only...where 1+1=2.

Then, there is 2. the world of the heart or spirit or intuition...this is a world not of the 5 senses.
That sentence alone boggles minds here, "What? A world beyond my 5 senses?"
That's right. Where 1+1=1
Ha! Where you understand the sound of one hand clapping.

It is certainly a kick ...when these worlds are no longer like oil and vinegar...and can
be perceived as the perfect mesh that they are!!!
Oh yeah.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes.

I used to be on the outside looking at these people saying God told them this and that...
Joyce Meyer does that often. And what is this speaking in tongues stuff? HUGE mystery!!!!!

I was all, "What?"

All I can say is, ''Now I get it.''

And I completely understand what it looks like to others. I dunno about 'creepy'...but,
it certainly looks 'nuts', I know!

There are 2 worlds...1. The logical, linear world that seems concrete; so one walks in a world of
what he sees and is 'solid'. (Ha, as if anything is 'solid'!)
A world that is squarely in the 3rd dimension only...where 1+1=2.

Then, there is 2. the world of the heart or spirit or intuition...this is a world not of the 5 senses.
That sentence alone boggles minds here, "What? A world beyond my 5 senses?"
That's right. Where 1+1=1
Ha! Where you understand the sound of one hand clapping.

It is certainly a kick ...when these worlds are no longer like oil and vinegar...and can
be perceived as the perfect mesh that they are!!!
Oh yeah.
The problem, of course, is when someone claims that God told them something that directly contradicts that which we know he has already said.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
If someone commits suicide because they thought God spoke to them and wanted them to enter into paradise sooner than later, then I don't have a problem in believing them.

But if someone does illogical and stupid things to hurt or offend others and/or take pre-emptive offensive action to start a war and kill millions of children, women and elderly because they thought God told them to do so, then I suggest a psychological evaluation and possible criminal charges.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The problem, of course, is when someone claims that God told them something that directly contradicts that which we know he has already said.
I know what you mean.

Anything said to me directly (oops, now I'm one of those creepy people) has only been
regarding His immense love...i-m-m-e-n-s-e, beyond my concept of deep, beyond my concept of burning, beyond my concept of eternal waiting;
from a place where there is no space or time...a place of such magnificence at times it has taken 6 months to not walk around in total awe....and then another Divine Visitation happens...
now I'm pretty much continually intoxicated with His Love...sorry, I get carried away...

I know it's weird! Right?
I love this weirdness...drunk experiencing, opening, allowing, perceiving the love
that is all around me....but, mostly from a fountain of love inside my being...my chest
actually hurts just at the Supermarket!
It is exquisite.

It's all 'here'...all the answers, all the knowledge, all the wisdom, power, clarity, joy, confidence,
peace, fulfillment extraordinaire...but hey, I become a broken record saying the same thing.

This group has heard me say all this before.... You can yawn...it's ok!

Now, I'm REALLY a creepy person...

Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
These comments on Facebook in reaction to a meme talking about people who feel abaondoned by God is what prompted this thread:

"God has never seemed far away from me since I gave my heart to Him when I was eleven years old. He has been at my side immediately when I was in distress or upheaval of any sort and gave calm to my spirit"

" I too gave my heart to God early on....age 9....and I knew he was with me..."

"His spirit is ALWAYS with you... Sometimes right before he is about to promote you to something higher, he makes you feel alone so he can test you!"

"when God seems far away, you will find Him in the last place you would think to look, standing right beside you, feeling all your feelings with you."

I realize these are real people and we all seek relief, escape, comfort in a variety of ways, but when I read these things now, it just seems like children in their respective rooms, all by themselves, interacting with an imaginary tea time friend. In some circles, this is okay because it helps some people to cope or just shows they have a very wild imagination so I get it, but it still gives an air of creepiness to me.
I personally don't see the creepiness factor of taking comfort from it, but people who want to take that comfort away seem insensitive.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know what you mean.

Anything said to me directly (oops, now I'm one of those creepy people) has only been
regarding His immense love...i-m-m-e-n-s-e, beyond my concept of deep, beyond my concept of burning, beyond my concept of eternal waiting;
from a place where there is no space or time...a place of such magnificence at times it has taken 6 months to not walk around in total awe....and then another Divine Visitation happens...
now I'm pretty much continually intoxicated with His Love...sorry, I get carried away...

I know it's weird! Right?
I love this weirdness...drunk experiencing, opening, allowing, perceiving the love
that is all around me....but, mostly from a fountain of love inside my being...my chest
actually hurts just at the Supermarket!
It is exquisite.

It's all 'here'...all the answers, all the knowledge, all the wisdom, power, clarity, joy, confidence,
peace, fulfillment extraordinaire...but hey, I become a broken record saying the same thing.

This group has heard me say all this before.... You can yawn...it's ok!

Now, I'm REALLY a creepy person...
It sounds like you are literally on some kind of drug.

Old 06-08-2016, 12:14 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
This is a discussion site about religion . Christianity is the dominant religion in the west , so the one most often discussed . And it's rife with hucksters preying on the gullible Christians.

Why should this be a topic to avoid discussion on ?
Motives are very questionable with some of these folks. They appear to just want to stir up trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality