Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No, but according to the story, Abraham was fully prepared to kill his son, believing that it was God's will.

Today, we'd call that a severe mental illness.

It's barbaric and delusional. There's really no sugar coating it.
No getting around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
To hear from God people must to have the baptism of Holy Spirit...
Based on what Authority? None of the Patriarchs were baptized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
To Abraham and Isaac, apparently not. But I don't know anyone with Abraham's faith.
Well about 20 years ago Susan Smith did. She drowned her kids strapped in a car and drove it into a lake. Same motive as Abraham.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Didn't actually kill him, did he?
Viz, this made it ok to where nothing else about this fable seems outrageous to you?

While you pondering those questions, do you know if anyone ever found out who else was around listening to these conversations Abraham was allegedly having with God on this whole saga? As far as we know, Abraham never wrote one book, but we are given blow by blow accounts of the conversations he had with God. Any corroborative accounts?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:24 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Last night there was this demon which I seen in the spirit which looked like a cow with hundreds of short spider leg pitchers under the chest of this cow and it move over and rested on my abdomen and I could feel vibration of my stomach , so I cry out `help me` and I was hitting this beast , then I came out of this and prayed the authority of the Believer and bind this demon up and caste it down to the pit and the vibration on my stomach stopped ....................Was that creepy or what ............................ Jesus Holy spirit discerned that it was a sore-dumb demon which was a gland disruptor which is the kind that causes people abdomen , gland , fat packer , and bowl problems in people and they do not even see it , but some can feel the small constant vibrations ........

Old 06-10-2016, 04:25 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Isaac was a grown adult man (not a little child) and knew exactly what was happening and willingly participated. He could have left. However he did not.

Are you lying for jesus or just don't know your bible as well as an atheist?

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

Yea, Isaac knew all about the plan of HIM being the burnt offering.

Nothing says, willing participant, like being bound.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+22

Old 06-10-2016, 08:09 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
...Nothing says, willing participant...
and now you know.
learning happens

Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Viz, this made it ok to where nothing else about this fable seems outrageous to you?

While you pondering those questions, do you know if anyone ever found out who else was around listening to these conversations Abraham was allegedly having with God on this whole saga? As far as we know, Abraham never wrote one book, but we are given blow by blow accounts of the conversations he had with God. Any corroborative accounts?
Since God inspired Moses to write it, I'm quite comfortable with the idea that he got the details correct. God was there, after all.

But yes--it does sound outrageous. I recoiled a bit the first time I read it. But there is an object lesson there. The hill that the almost-sacrifice took place on was likely the same hill that Jesus was crucified on, 1800 years later. God was willing to do what he did NOT require Abraham to do. He gave Abraham back his son, but he was willing to give his own son.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

Do you think Isaac didn't know what was coming when he let his father bind him? He was likely a healthy young man that could have overpowered his father, but he didn't. He let himself be bound.

Now, to the issue of a "willing" participant who is bound...have you ever seen a movie of a civil war surgery? Or any type of surgery done 100+ years ago when they may not have had any kind of sedative available? Do you think they had to bind the patient or restrain him in any way? Or did they merely say "Well...the leg has to come off, so get to it!", with a smile on their face?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Isaac was a grown adult man (not a little child) and knew exactly what was happening and willingly participated. He could have left. However he did not.
Quote:

Quote:
and now you know.
learning happens
Got it, not only a liar..

Checkmate sinner

Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Do you think Isaac didn't know what was coming when he let his father bind him? He was likely a healthy young man that could have overpowered his father, but he didn't. He let himself be bound.

Now, to the issue of a "willing" participant who is bound...have you ever seen a movie of a civil war surgery? Or any type of surgery done 100+ years ago when they may not have had any kind of sedative available? Do you think they had to bind the patient or restrain him in any way? Or did they merely say "Well...the leg has to come off, so get to it!", with a smile on their face?
Or maybe he was younger then you need him to be, to ease you mind, and his sedative was a nice piece of alter building wood across the back of the head and bond so the poor kid can't get away.

After all, Abraham wouldn't want to have to chase down gods bloody burnt sacrifice.

Funny how the bible always means something other then what it actually says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality