Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:26 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times

Advertisements

I was temple deep in Christianity once upon a time, but no matter how serious I was about the faith, one thing I never really did or talk about is having conversations with God. I prayed, yes, and I used to believe the biblical God was out there listening to me, but I NEVER used the frequent, "God spoke to my heart" babble I seem to hear so often. So, it comes off to me as a very creepy thing when I scroll my Facebook newsfeed and peep in on some of the religious threads some of my friends are part of and see people talking about talking to God or him talking to them or them talking about God being by their side, directing them, helping them make life's decisions and so forth. It just seems creepy and crazy all at the same time.

If that is the case with their belief, then he is watching them have sex, take a crap, masturbating, picking their noses, pulling their underwear out their butt crack and other things we all do in private or when no one is watching, but God's watching, apparently.

Then there are the greasy looking televangelist who give these stories of themselves having these intimate conversations with God.

"So, I was sitting on my lawn chair and the lord came to me and said, 'go mow the lawn!' And then I said, 'why Lord?' Then, listen to this here! The Lord told me, 'don't ask me dumb questions! It needs mowing. You rather hear your wife's clap trap or mine?'

Yeah, like I said, creepy and crazy all at once.

Anyone else feel this way or see it like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
It's extremely creepy.

My farther almost drowned in a rip current back in the 80's. Since then he's been taking orders from God, much to his own detriment and to the detriment of his family.

My mom, being the good submissive Christian wife that she is, goes along with it. She probably believes it herself, to some extent.

I don't visit my parents unless I feel am obligated to do so (major holidays, etc.), mainly due to the creepiness factor.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:23 AM

261 posts, read 156,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I was temple deep in Christianity once upon a time, but no matter how serious I was about the faith, one thing I never really did or talk about is having conversations with God. I prayed, yes, and I used to believe the biblical God was out there listening to me, but I NEVER used the frequent, "God spoke to my heart" babble I seem to hear so often. So, it comes off to me as a very creepy thing when I scroll my Facebook newsfeed and peep in on some of the religious threads some of my friends are part of and see people talking about talking to God or him talking to them or them talking about God being by their side, directing them, helping them make life's decisions and so forth. It just seems creepy and crazy all at the same time.

If that is the case with their belief, then he is watching them have sex, take a crap, masturbating, picking their noses, pulling their underwear out their butt crack and other things we all do in private or when no one is watching, but God's watching, apparently.

Then there are the greasy looking televangelist who give these stories of themselves having these intimate conversations with God.

"So, I was sitting on my lawn chair and the lord came to me and said, 'go mow the lawn!' And then I said, 'why Lord?' Then, listen to this here! The Lord told me, 'don't ask me dumb questions! It needs mowing. You rather hear your wife's clap trap or mine?'

Yeah, like I said, creepy and crazy all at once.

Anyone else feel this way or see it like this?
I was a Christian as a young person, but never once did I have any sense god was around and able to communicate with me. I think I would have been creeped out if I had voices in my head.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
I don't know. Back in my own days as a Christian, I felt God was "speaking" to me by directing me to things that helped me understand how many of my thought processes were detrimental to me. That understanding and getting the tools I needed to begin to change how I process things was a game changer for me. I might even say that it was pivotal to me eventually escaping the mind-control of the brand of Christianity I had spent my life in. Was it "God" speaking to me, really? I don't know. But it saved me.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Ammon and Ryan Bundy said God told them to bring their guns to Malheur National Wildlife Refuge where they stayed for more than a month.

These two are now sitting in jail. Perhaps God wanted them to sit in jail, and await trial along with 23 other men and women.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:48 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place .
Those who are in a relationship with Him enjoy/depend/encourage this interaction.
However those whom prefer religion, may never know the healing, peace, comfort, direction, and assurance God provides .
God will choose those He want's in heaven, based on obedience, not claims. Matthew 7;21 John 15;

Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't know. Back in my own days as a Christian, I felt God was "speaking" to me by directing me to things that helped me understand how many of my thought processes were detrimental to me. That understanding and getting the tools I needed to begin to change how I process things was a game changer for me. I might even say that it was pivotal to me eventually escaping the mind-control of the brand of Christianity I had spent my life in. Was it "God" speaking to me, really? I don't know. But it saved me.
Maybe "God" was actually your own intuition and/or common sense?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Maybe "God" was actually your own intuition and/or common sense?
That's why I said I don't know and put God in quotes. But God might be more than, too. The point was, believing that life holds the possibility of conversation with God, even if it's really only my own intuition, doesn't always yield creepy results, in my experience.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
You sound like so many trols on here with the sole purpose of wanting to make fun of anyone that has a relationship with God. Please try and find some better use of your time.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
You sound like so many trols on here with the sole purpose of wanting to make fun of anyone that has a relationship with God. Please try and find some better use of your time.

Do you feel like you shouldn't discuss the strange things about cults and wackos you don't like ? You think it's wrong to discuss crazy stuff Scientologists do, or Jim Jones, or David Koresh ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality