Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You don't think religious beliefs harm others??

People have rarely if ever keep their religious beliefs to themselves...nor are they likely to in the future.

It depends on how one was raised. One of my oldest friends is a Christian even more he's going to school to be a preacher. His parents beliefs' was pushed on him & so for a while he became brain washed to some extent. As he got older & wiser he now understands & believes that IF people want to know about God then they should go to church. I have many Christian friends who feel the same way, it's not fair to judge everyone by what you have experienced or what you have seen.

No, I do not believe that one's person religion can harm another. Unless YOU let it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No, I do not believe that one's person religion can harm another. Unless YOU let it.
How do we NOT LET things like the Orlando massacre harm us????

Old 06-15-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How do we NOT LET things like the Orlando massacre harm us????

Sadly things change when someone else has a gun... I don't believe that had anything to do with religion as much as he had issues with the gay community. I don't have an answer like many other's here there is no simple solution.

I say that because the guy mentioned that he was part of two different terror groups that have nothing to do with the other.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Sadly things change when someone else has a gun... I don't believe that had anything to do with religion as much as he had issues with the gay community. I don't have an answer like many other's here there is no simple solution.

I say that because the guy mentioned that he was part of two different terror groups that have nothing to do with the other.
He mentioned being part of more than two terror groups, all at odds with each other in the Real World, so it is believed that he was self-radicalized and identifying with bits and pieces of various ideologies. Mostly he was a mentally ill person with severe self control / anger issues. Like most people who become obsessed with gays to this level, he is probably a closeted gay man himself. Reports aren't confirmed yet but many surviving patrons of The Pulse absolutely swear they saw him there as a semi-regular and that he used gay dating apps to try to hit on other men. If true, then it's a case of projected self-loathing and a misguided attempt at personal redemption via jihad. But even if not, it's a mentally ill man who I suspect will be found to have no substantive contact with actual terrorists, but rather a wanna-be who tried to demonstrate his worthiness -- just as he was a wanna-be policeman who could never make the grade and settled for being a security guard.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is a social duty to push back these socially toxic influences where they belong - personal beliefs.
Hear! Hear!

Quote:
It depends on how one was raised. One of my oldest friends is a Christian even more he's going to school to be a preacher. His parents beliefs' was pushed on him & so for a while he became brain washed to some extent. As he got older & wiser he now understands & believes that IF people want to know about God then they should go to church.
I'd say that such 'Christians' are few and far between. In fact, if they are like that then they are not following the words of their hero who said...go out and evangelise.

Quote:
How could people not let the Crusades harm them? How do we not let religious terrorism harm us? How do very young children not let the religious beliefs of their parents harm them?

Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Thanks Raffas. And the way things are looking now (I men generally in the debate) simply telling children something is so when there is no good evidence for it is harm in itself. Even if it doesn't contain some dangerous and vile doctrines like hellthreat, discrimination (where it isn't appropriate) and non -science.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Hear! Hear!

I'd say that such 'Christians' are few and far between. In fact, if they are like that then they are not following the words of their hero who said...go out and evangelise.

How could people not let the Crusades harm them? How do we not let religious terrorism harm us? How do very young children not let the religious beliefs of their parents harm them?

I agree about few and far between. There will always be those who are extremist I would hope that one day as a people we move past it.

With that said. When people come to your front door or on the street you have the ability to ignore them walk the other way or say thank you.
Like most here I have a problem with those who tend to be in your face with their religion. IF the OP is serious about not preaching to others then I'm behind him all the way.

On a side note my wife & I went to her daughters H.S gradation last week. Outside of the building there were men handing out bibles to everyone who looked to still be in H.S or younger.

One of the kids whose 14 that was with us got one, he heard me telling my wife that I thought it was wrong to be handing the bibles out. He walked up to me & said that he didn't want his but he didn't want to be rude either. I told him not matter what he has the right to refuse whatever it is someone offered him. He asked me to put it back for me which I did. None of the men asked me why I had put it back I just shot them a look & they got it.

The OP said he isn't going to do things like that & for that I applied him!

Old 06-20-2016, 12:33 PM

301 posts, read 295,820 times
victorianpunk

As a scientific Atheist I say - good post and I am glad you have found some happiness with what you believe.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I can see this is going to require re-posting my initial posts as you did a lousy job of reading and understanding them.
No, I understood them perfectly well...they were extremely simplistic.

I will refute everything you said in a simple, short reply:

First, "knowledge" has many definitions. You claim "only science generates knowledge". Well, what knowledge of the self can science generate for a human being? That is the most important knowledge of them all, and science cannot approach it. Only philosophy can.

And btw, economics is not science:

Quote:

Economics is a discipline that can help us answer these questions. Economics can actually be defined a few different ways: it’s the study of scarcity, the study of how people use resources, or the study of decision-making. Economics often involves topics like wealth, finance, recessions, and banking, leading to the misconception that economics is all about money and the stock market. Actually, it’s a much broader discipline that helps us understand historical trends, interpret today’s headlines, and make predictions for coming decades.
Source:https://www.aeaweb.org/resources/stu...t-is-economics

They use the term "discipline" because it is not a science, but rather a very broad discipline that has its basis in philosophy. Same with law, political theory, arts, etc.

And again, philosophy is not "going to be replace by science" any time soon:

https://alumni.berkeley.edu/comment/17276

The Unexpected Way Philosophy Majors Are Changing The World Of Business | The Huffington Post

The claim "philosophy is on the way out" or however you say it is completely without any evidence. Ironic, but there is no scientific evidence to back up the idea that science can or will replace philosophy, only hot air.

Last edited by victorianpunk; 04-10-2017 at 03:33 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 03:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thanks Raffas. And the way things are looking now (I men generally in the debate) simply telling children something is so when there is no good evidence for it is harm in itself. Even if it doesn't contain some dangerous and vile doctrines like hellthreat, discrimination (where it isn't appropriate) and non -science.

I have yet to see any "evidence" for the beauty of Copland, the majesty of mount Rainer, or the deliciousness of mango. Should we not say those things to children either?

And before I hear the old, tired "but science can map music!" line, again, consider this:

I also find this to be beautiful, and it follows no "scientific pattern" of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EutHylQM6uI

And every human being on Earth has "non-science" beliefs. If they do not, they are emotionless drones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality