Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 05:49 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
G W Bush said God told him to invade Iraq. This indicident killed millions, and also destroyed the families and lives on an astronomical level. Don't you wonder how and where God would've told him to so?
In the history of your god, has it ever told anyone to utterly destroy everything including babies?

1 Samuel 15-17New International Version (NIV)

3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy[a] all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.’”

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:29 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
There is evidence of God but it is left up to the seeker to find it and to prove God. God gives us tests to test him in, and when somebody calls his bluff, they find God.

Besides these tests that prove God, there is a language hidden within the bible, a secret language that if learned, proves God. If one man can write in this language and another can read it, it proves the language.........The fact that 40 authors wrote fluently in this language without knowing what they were saying, proves God.

40 authors speaking about a temple designed in human anatomy to show a virgin and the duties of it's priests show them trying to get a temple pregnant and 40 people over 1500 years wrote about this virgin not knowing that the temple was designed as a virgin and yet all of them keep to the concept that the temple is a woman, a virgin, until the veil was rent in two.

There is also proof in the big bang alone in my good opinion. I think it was 1992 when we finally proved without a doubt that the universe could be traced back to a single event where out of nothing, came the universe.

Just as if God would have spoke it into being in a single word.

I would think this alone would change the minds of many, when we know for sure that the universe came from the big bang.

But there is PLENTY of proof of God, you just have to be willing to make a great sacrifice and even most believers aren't willing to make such a sacrifice but there are still tests that God says,'' TEST ME IN THIS.''

When he is tested, he is proved.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:53 AM

380 posts, read 201,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
But there is PLENTY of proof of God, you just have to be willing to make a great sacrifice and even most believers aren't willing to make such a sacrifice but there are still tests that God says,'' TEST ME IN THIS.''

When he is tested, he is proved.
I have a test for God.

I really want to see if God would allow for his favorite creation - human being - the same thing that is available for lizards.
Lets ask God to make human limbs as regeneratable as lizards tails.

A lot of very deserving people, aka crown of God's creation, would love to have such a wonderful ability, especially if it is already available to a primitive lizards.

Lets see God being tested and proven by real and noble action!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
You are of course, entitled to believe what you want, but in case anyone is curious to know how I'd play it, it is to avoid the trap of starting with an idea nd looking for confirmation, secret messages in the text and free loose associations of ideas, not to mention doing it to ry to retrospectively find science in the Bible.

This for me is the stuff of fantasy, ad it isn't for me.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is the statement that usually makes the loud scientifically minded anti-theist either A) shrug and say "as long as you aren't forcing that view on me, cool, at least you're honest" or B) (insert circular argument and stream of verbal diarrhea here)

Yes, there is no evidence for GOD. Yes, there is no scientific evidence that GOD created the Universe and yes, there is no evidence that any of my Myths are true.

And I don't care. I believe anyway.

And no, it isn't "brainwashing" as I'm a Gnostic Christian and we aren't exactly indoctrinating the world and I wasn't raised to believe anything at all. I just stumbled upon Gnosticism as an adult, read about it, found others who are into it and here I am. I choose it because it felt right.

That's it. It felt right. No reason, no logic, no science, no evidence. Just pure emotion and intuition. It felt right, so I went with it. An absolutely irrational decision. And?

I do not claim to say I can prove any of my Myths. I do not claim any science will ever prove the existence of Satan, GOD, angels or anything else. All I will say is that once you remove literal understandings of creation Myths there really isn't much there science can test anyway, and I never believed that the Bible literally tells the story of creation anyway.

The thing is, asking for scientific evidence is advocating for a philosophical school of thought: Positivism. I am not a Positivist and hence do not care really what science says or doesn't say. For me, science is not the be all, end all. I'm an existentialist, and I go with myself first and foremost and if ANY external issue gets into my way, including "evidence", I ignore it.

Where is the scientific evidence that a scientific worldview is the best? Can science prove itself? Once you step out of the bubble of scientific thought you see there are indeed other ways of approaching an issue besides "what does the data say?"

And before I get the inevitable "what if someone believes in a Flying Spaghetti Monster"? I will give an answer that usually makes the person who asked it very frustrated: A religion based on a Flying Spaghetti Monster, if its believers are sincere, is just as valid as my own or anyone else's.

All I would ask is proof that someone believed fully in a doctrine, as in what have they sacrificed in their life for that belief, to prove if it is valid for them. That's it. No religion, no matter how absurd it may be to some, is invalid because of its age, number of adherents, who founded it, its Myths, etc. As long as there are those who BELIEVE, that is enough.

We all have our own beliefs and systems to live by. As long as they do not hurt anyone, let people find their own path. And as long as a believer does not try to force their belief on anyone else, who cares what they do or do not believe?

So why believe in God? Simple: Because I chose to. It's fun and it works for me. I need no other justification besides that. And THAT is why they call it "FAITH"

(but I guarantee you somebody will reply with a long tirade about "muh scientific evidence", and completely miss the point)
There is plenty of evidence for God.

1. Scientific evidence (which I have discussed until blue in the face, but won't anymore cuz the new religion section rules forbid that)
2. Experiential evidence (plenty of eyewitness testimony in the Bible, and in the lives of believers)
3. Logical evidence (again blue in the face)

All of this is there. But like a Great Lie that if you say loudly enough people will believe it. "There is no evidence!" they say. But at least some people believe anyway, and sometimes find evidence despite of claims there is none.

For #1, you may want to start here.
https://stream.org/the-scientific-ev...not-shrinking/

For #2, you have the conversion story of C.S. Lewis
The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith | C.S. Lewis Institute

There are many of atheists turned Christian, they can tell you their story of why Christianity was real to them. How is this not evidence? These are people who have experienced God in their daily lives.

For #3, there are at least 7 arguments from philosophy. One may say these are bad arguments, but you cannot (without serious denial) claim there are no arguments.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
I have a test for God.

I really want to see if God would allow for his favorite creation - human being - the same thing that is available for lizards.
Lets ask God to make human limbs as regeneratable as lizards tails.

A lot of very deserving people, aka crown of God's creation, would love to have such a wonderful ability, especially if it is already available to a primitive lizards.

Lets see God being tested and proven by real and noble action!
May God make you a Lizard, and please God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
May God make you a Lizard, and please God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away.
I have to admit - I laughed at that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
There is plenty of evidence for God.

1. Scientific evidence (which I have discussed until blue in the face, but won't anymore cuz the new religion section rules forbid that)
2. Experiential evidence (plenty of eyewitness testimony in the Bible, and in the lives of believers)
3. Logical evidence (again blue in the face)

All of this is there. But like a Great Lie that if you say loudly enough people will believe it. "There is no evidence!" they say. But at least some people believe anyway, and sometimes find evidence despite of claims there is none.

For #1, you may want to start here.
https://stream.org/the-scientific-ev...not-shrinking/

For #2, you have the conversion story of C.S. Lewis
The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith | C.S. Lewis Institute

There are many of atheists turned Christian, they can tell you their story of why Christianity was real to them. How is this not evidence?

For #3, there are at least 7 arguments from philosophy. One may say these are bad arguments, but you cannot (without serious denial) claim there are no arguments.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Old mate, Your arguments have been debunked and yet you keep pounding the same arguments until you are - as you say - blue in the facr. They are still going to be nothing new, nothing but debunked, nothing but nothing.

Oh yes - the latest Ploy seems to be claiming that crap evidence is still evidence and (as you say) bad arguments are still 'arguments' and that it is a "lie" to say there is no evidence and no atguments. Pardon me, but that is on the shortlist of top 10 utterly dishonest theistic rhetorical tricks.

And as if it needed any further comment, a remark from the site you link as though it supported your case.

"Now, none of these arguments make a definitive case for the existence of God, and many of them are (fairly) easily debunked or problematized (as I'll try to show). But at the very least, they offer considerable food for thought. "

And you can save the conversion stories - C.S Lewis. Do me a favour? Do you think atheism doesn't have a whole slew of of deconverts from Christianity?

Certainly there are arguments, Gaps and a case for an original creator of some kind, but that is the best you got, and pretty much all you got, never mind much of the rest being evidence against. But that best is little more than a possibility, gap or unknown and unexplained as yet. It doesn't even come close to 'Evidence".

And that remains the situation so far no matter how blue in the face you get claiming that it is Evidence, Proof or even support for the god-claim. So I suggest you accept the situation and stop putting a strain on your face.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-15-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM

380 posts, read 201,611 times
Quote:
What did I do that is so wrong that you wish me to be turned into lizard?
Why are you so mean?

You said that God can be proven if tested and I just proposed a test.
Why following your statement in a very logical and reasonable way is upsetting you so much, that you wish horrible thing to happen to a fellow human being?

Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:

The existence of gods can easily be 'proven' to those that believe in gods. It works the same way with leprechauns...or 'Bigfoot'.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
What did I do that is so wrong that you wish me to be turned into lizard?
Why are you so mean?

Why following your statement in a very logical and reasonable way is upsetting you so much, that you wish horrible thing to happen to a fellow human being?

I thought you wanted a tail, and it would look so cute on you, might give you more balance.

I am anything but upset, Lord, Hope I didn't upset you, c'mere and give us a hug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality