Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Eventually faith will give way to sight and faith will no longer be needed.
In the end, there will be no atheist or agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
So why believe in God? Simple: Because I chose to.
It's fun and it works for me.
I need no other justification besides that.
And THAT is why they call it "FAITH"
And, hi Eusebius!

I love faith.
If you would ever like to change that to a direct experience so 'faith' turns into 'knowing'...
There are simple things you can do...first, sit.
Sit in complete stillness...almost unimaginable stillness. (The word meditation scares people so..)

Ask God internally or aloud...''Show me You..I know You are there...I will wait.''

See, God is like a moth...He can not, it is not possible for Him to resist your
sincere love and desire for Him.
Like a moth to a flame ... your heart, your love, your ache for Him is what will draw Him.
You will have no further need of 'faith or belief'.
You will know.

Be still and know that I am God.
Psalm 46:10

Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, we understand that. We also understand that that doing 'independent research' to "Find signs of God" is not what we would call evidence, but self -brainwashing. So you needn't be concerned that it migt dilute the purity of Faith, because Faith is all that "research" is based on.
And we also understand that "independent research" and "looking at signs of God" is -NOT- a scientific evidence.

So, there is something common between believers and non-believers.

What you may want to think about is that, you can say "I don't have faith", but it doesn't make sense when you say, "I don't have faith because there is no scientific evidence."

Now, look at the reciprocal - smokers very well know that there is irrefutable, undeniable, scientific evidence that smoking tobacco is injurious to health - YET they will smoke.

So an "evidence" really doesn't do anything for them.

What would you do if an evidence of God is proved to you?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:22 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
All I will say is that once you remove literal understandings of creation Myths there really isn't much there science can test anyway, and I never believed that the Bible literally tells the story of creation anyway.
If you take away the literal understanding of Genesis, then that means that humans were not created in the image of God and there's no such thing as original sin.

Therefore, there's no need for a Christ or Son of God to save us from our sins.

Do you see how troublesome it becomes once you go down that road?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you take away the literal understanding of Genesis, then that means that humans were not created in the image of God and there's no such thing as original sin.
Not really troublesome at all. There still is the problem of our purpose and whether or not we were achieving it. Prior to the existence of Christ, no one was. Jesus is the Firstborn of us to achieve union with God as a "born again" human Spirit upon His death. He established the connection for all humans to follow through love of God and each other.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
So why believe in God? Simple: Because I chose to. It's fun and it works for me. I need no other justification besides that.
Which facet(s) of Life can you not handle? Some people feel compelled to use "faith" as a crutch, because they cannot deal with Life in general or certain facets of Life.

Quote:
And THAT is why they call it "FAITH"
"Faith" is believing that your alarm-clock will go off at the intended time each morning.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:39 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:

And before I get the inevitable "what if someone believes in a Flying Spaghetti Monster"? I will give an answer that usually makes the person who asked it very frustrated: A religion based on a Flying Spaghetti Monster, if its believers are sincere, is just as valid as my own or anyone else's.
Why would that frustrate anyone? That's pretty much the point of Pastafarianity.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:21 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
The very definition of 'faith' is belief in something for which you have no evidence, of course. If you had evidence it wouldn't be called faith, it would be called science....

So since I think since we all understand what faith is, I'm unclear what point is being made here? Is it simply a declaration about your personal journey or spiritual growth? If so, that's fine and I'm happy for you. I'm just wondering what kind of responses you are looking for, if any?

You seem to have ruled out receiving responses from 'anti-theists' since you have already confidently predicted anything they might say. So I guess you are just looking for responses from fellow theists?

Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

lets see,
no original sin, no dude risining from the dead, and no reason to go on with that line of logic.

I should say when taken literal.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 PM

20,013 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
"Faith" is believing that your alarm-clock will go off at the intended time each morning.
That is simply a definition of faith that is a straight-up synonym for "trust". And "trust" is a perfectly adequate word when that's what you mean.

Religious faith on the other hand is not trust based on empirical experience that can be verified by others in your shared reality -- as it would be for a reasonable expectation that one's alarm clock will work as it has in the past. Religious faith on the other hand is almost the polar opposite of trust ... as VP says, it is affording belief to an asserted truth without a requirement of evidence. In other words it is not trust, but credulousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality