Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 02:03 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yes, there is no evidence for GOD. Yes, there is no scientific evidence that GOD created the Universe and yes, there is no evidence that any of my Myths are true.

And I don't care. I believe anyway.

And no, it isn't "brainwashing" as I'm a Gnostic Christian and we aren't exactly indoctrinating the world and I wasn't raised to believe anything at all. I just stumbled upon Gnosticism as an adult, read about it, found others who are into it and here I am. I choose it because it felt right.

That's it. It felt right. No reason, no logic, no science, no evidence. Just pure emotion and intuition. It felt right, so I went with it. An absolutely irrational decision. And?
Not irrational in the slightest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 AM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is the statement that usually makes the loud scientifically minded anti-theist either A) shrug and say "as long as you aren't forcing that view on me, cool, at least you're honest" or B) (insert circular argument and stream of verbal diarrhea here)

Yes, there is no evidence for GOD. Yes, there is no scientific evidence that GOD created the Universe and yes, there is no evidence that any of my Myths are true.

And I don't care. I believe anyway.

And no, it isn't "brainwashing" as I'm a Gnostic Christian and we aren't exactly indoctrinating the world and I wasn't raised to believe anything at all. I just stumbled upon Gnosticism as an adult, read about it, found others who are into it and here I am. I choose it because it felt right.

That's it. It felt right. No reason, no logic, no science, no evidence. Just pure emotion and intuition. It felt right, so I went with it. An absolutely irrational decision. And?
Yes but you see, you are not making any claims. You are simply stating how you feel and what you believe. You are not telling me what I should or should not believe nor even that what you believe is right. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Not irrational in the slightest.
Exactly.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:20 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yes but you see, you are not making any claims. You are simply stating how you feel and what you believe. You are not telling me what I should or should not believe nor even that what you believe is right. Nothing wrong with that.
The question is why are they stating this? It appears they do care.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:22 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Not true. The evidence we ask for must be verifiable, and must have better data to support it than natural explanations.

If we do not have the knowledge and capacity to verify AND validate that “evidence”, then you do not have the knowledge and capacity to make your claim.
Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's part of good science. To have an open mind. To not decide in advance exactly what the outcome will be.

But okay. Let's do it your way. I'll change my mind and believe in god if you can make him appear to me within the next 24 hours. Not some video. I want to see him "in the flesh", so to speak.
Science is your way?
Let’s do it by your way then.

Quote:
Or, bring Jesus back. I want to personally see him walk on water. What the heck...why not just one more miracle to end all the doubt and debate.
How would you verify AND validate that it’s Jesus?
Are you going to take him into a lab and run a DNA test or put his tissue sample under a microscope to see if every cell is marked “I am God”?

You have no capacity and no SCIENTIFIC knowledge to verify and validate so to who is Jesus and who is not.

Walking on the water?
Even if Jesus does that, no where in the scientific academia does it documented that it’s a sign of Jesus.
Show me a scientific law that states that if someone could walk on the water then it must be Jesus?

Quote:
Or, let's everyone on this forum pray for an end to cancer. Go ahead. I'll wait.
Again, even if that happens, you have NO WAY to verify and validate that Jesus or God did it.

Nowhere in a scientific book a law is established that if all cancer is eliminated from the world, then it must have been done by God.

Quote:
The problem is that you know perfectly that your all-powerful imaginary friend won't come through.
There is no need for that.
As I said, even if God comes in front of you “in flesh so to speak”, you have NO WAY to verify and validate that indeed it’s God.

Otherwise, if seeing is believing then Hinduism may be the religion for you.
You want to see God?
There it is, a clay statue with 6 arms and 20 legs, right in front of you.
No?

So how about you take the challenge instead?
As per faith, God has created the universe and processes work in such a way that on planet earth, the sun rises rises from the east.
Go ahead, and make the sun rise from the west.

Quote:
Or, perhaps you have a suggestion to conclusively prove your “claims”.
If the question is asked, do you believe in the existence of God based on faith?
My answer is Yes.
Notice, there is no “claim” in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
For me the evidence, if not proof is quite simple - I have this bottle of water on my desk .... God knows what to do (Transponder).

Thing is, if God did exist there would be no questions or discussions about whether or not God exists.
And again, even if that happens and the water turns into wine, you have no way to verify and validate that it was actually done by God.

May be Trans can go to David Copperfiled. Even he will turn the water into wine for him.

But notice something funny and very ironic here.

In the name of “evidence of God” what the Atheists actually demand is a “miracle”.

And science does not believe in miracles.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Read below.

Science is your way?

Are you going to take him into a lab and run a DNA test or put his tissue sample under a microscope to see if every cell is marked “I am God”?

You have no capacity and no SCIENTIFIC knowledge to verify and validate so to who is Jesus and who is not.

Walking on the water?
Even if Jesus does that, no where in the scientific academia does it documented that it’s a sign of Jesus.
Show me a scientific law that states that if someone could walk on the water then it must be Jesus?

Again, even if that happens, you have NO WAY to verify and validate that Jesus or God did it.

Nowhere in a scientific book a law is established that if all cancer is eliminated from the world, then it must have been done by God.

There is no need for that.
As I said, even if God comes in front of you “in flesh so to speak”, you have NO WAY to verify and validate that indeed it’s God.

Otherwise, if seeing is believing then Hinduism may be the religion for you.
You want to see God?
There it is, a clay statue with 6 arms and 20 legs, right in front of you.
No?

So how about you take the challenge instead?
As per faith, God has created the universe and processes work in such a way that on planet earth, the sun rises rises from the east.
Go ahead, and make the sun rise from the west.

If the question is asked, do you believe in the existence of God based on faith?
My answer is Yes.
Notice, there is no “claim” in it.

And again, even if that happens and the water turns into wine, you have no way to verify and validate that it was actually done by God.

May be Trans can go to David Copperfiled. Even he will turn the water into wine for him.

In the name of “evidence of God” what the Atheists actually demand is a “miracle”.

Then you folks lose out. No real evidence. No belief.

Gee, that was easy.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:08 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Read below.

Science is your way?

Walking on the water?
Well, it could be Jesus. So we would collect more data, such his ability to speak Koine Greek, Pig Latin and Aramaic; asking his name; etc. That is how science works.

That would be good and verifiable evidence. It does not need to be conclusive, it just needs to be good enough that it being Jesus is the most probable explanation. That is how science works.

Quote:

Again your are asking for proof. But it would be good and verifiable evidence if all cancer suddenly disappeared that it was caused by a god. And we have the scientific ability to test if all cancers have disappeared.

Quote:

That is neither funny nor ironic, that is your inability to understand.

Science does not believe in miracles because there is no evidence miracles happen. But if a miracle occurred and the evidence for it being a miracle and not natural, science would then accept miracles as possible alternatives.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then you folks lose out. No real evidence. No belief.

Gee, that was easy.
Good for you, and you are welcome.

Now that you know it, I am sure your stay here will be shorter and you will spend a lot more peaceful and satisfied life. No more worries and quests about belief in God.

And by the way, the reminder; it’s not the “evidence” you demand, it’s the “miracle” you are wanting to see. And a miracle is not an evidence because you can’t verify n validate it.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Well, it could be Jesus. So we would collect more data, such his ability to speak Koine Greek, Pig Latin and Aramaic; asking his name; etc. That is how science works.

That would be good and verifiable evidence. It does not need to be conclusive, it just needs to be good enough that it being Jesus is the most probable explanation. That is how science works.

Again your are asking for proof. But it would be good and verifiable evidence if all cancer suddenly disappeared that it was caused by a god. And we have the scientific ability to test if all cancers have disappeared.
You keep mentioning science as your defensive shelter and your trump card but looks like you don’t have the foggiest of ideas about it.

Your oracle to verify and validate Jesus is not scientific.

For example, if you are given a few tissue samples to identify the species, you will take them to lab and use established scientific knowledge to analyze and identify that it’s a horse, a duck and a cow tissue sample.

Science does not have any established rules and knowledge base that tells you that if a person is able to speak Koine Greek, Pig Latin and Aramaic, then it’s an evidence that he is Jesus.

You will ask his name?
Now that’s funny.

Does science say that if you ask someone their name, and if they reply “Jesus”, then it means he is God?

I mean, I had a guy named Jesus in my class during my college years.
Didn’t know I was getting academic education together with God in my class.

Quote:
That is neither funny nor ironic, that is your inability to understand.

Science does not believe in miracles because there is no evidence miracles happen. But if a miracle occurred and the evidence for it being a miracle and not natural, science would then accept miracles as possible alternatives.
If all cancer is eliminated over night, wouldn’t it be a miracle?
If yes, aren’t you asking for a miracle to happen as an evidence, in order to believe in God?

And at the same time, you claim that miracle is not an evidence.

I definitely think it’s funny and ironic.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Good for you, and you are welcome.

Now that you know it, I am sure your stay here will be shorter and you will spend a lot more peaceful and satisfied life. No more worries and quests about belief in God.

And by the way, the reminder; it’s not the “evidence” you demand, it’s the “miracle” you are wanting to see. And a miracle is not an evidence because you can’t verify n validate it.
Not even a good effort. We have different reasons for being here.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You keep mentioning science as your defensive shelter and your trump card but looks like you don’t have the foggiest of ideas about it.

Your oracle to verify and validate Jesus is not scientific.

For example, if you are given a few tissue samples to identify the species, you will take them to lab and use established scientific knowledge to analyze and identify that it’s a horse, a duck and a cow tissue sample.

Science does not have any established rules and knowledge base that tells you that if a person is able to speak Koine Greek, Pig Latin and Aramaic, then it’s an evidence that he is Jesus.

You will ask his name?
Now that’s funny.

Does science say that if you ask someone their name, and if they reply “Jesus”, then it means he is God?

I mean, I had a guy named Jesus in my class during my college years.
Didn’t know I was getting academic education together with God in my class.

If all cancer is eliminated over night, wouldn’t it be a miracle?
If yes, aren’t you asking for a miracle to happen as an evidence, in order to believe in God?

And at the same time, you claim that miracle is not an evidence.

I definitely think it’s funny and ironic.
That's one of the most rambling posts I've seen on this forum in a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality