Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 10:09 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
...and Jesus was an actual person, an incredible philosophical mind, and the most notable and influential human to ever live.
Influential?? 2/3 of the world have no interest whatsoever in the Christian mythical man-god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:36 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
I believe that Yahweh is a metaphorical character...and Jesus was an actual person, an incredible philosophical mind, and the most notable and influential human to ever live.
That is no different than what an atheist might believe. Yahweh is a myth. And Jesus is not the Son of God, but obviously a very influential person.

So, is pantheism really just a form of atheism?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
I was Atheist for my entire adult life until a few years ago...so I "relate" better to that concept. And though I am not (nor ever been) Religiously inclined...I have no problem or issue with what anyone believes or has Faith in.

It is not a matter of "caring" if Yahweh or Jesus are "real" for me.
I believe that Yahweh is a metaphorical character...and Jesus was an actual person, an incredible philosophical mind, and the most notable and influential human to ever live. But all that is just my opinion.

As with Mystic, it is surprising just how much we do agree on. Or at least have no quarrel about.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Influential?? 2/3 of the world have no interest whatsoever in the Christian mythical man-god.
Yes, correct. A full third. Few even come close. Most people are pretty much nuthin'.
I didnt say "Christ"...I said "Jesus".
Most polls rate Jesus the most influential man ever.
You make it sound lkie he's just some Schmo.
He's typically top of the list. Him and Muhammad.
Those that get all mentally irregular by that fact, notwithstanding.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That is no different than what an atheist might believe. Yahweh is a myth. And Jesus is not the Son of God, but obviously a very influential person.

So, is pantheism really just a form of atheism?
No...it is the total opposite of Atheism.
Instead of, "No God At All"...it's, "All Is God"

Old 06-23-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No...it is the total opposite of Atheism.
Instead of, "No God At All"...it's, "All Is God"
Do you believe that the entire universe is a sentient being that thinks and is consciously aware of itself?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Do you believe that the entire universe is a sentient being that thinks and is consciously aware of itself?
Possible...I'm not sure. Now you are getting into what I might "believe" rather than what I "know".
Well, actually, everything is "Belief" and based on "Faith"...no knowledge, data, or info is infallible. Nothing is "for sure".
I am very certain it is sentient to the degree that it has sentient components.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Possible...I'm not sure. Now you are getting into what I might "believe" rather than what I "know".
Well, actually, everything is "Belief" and based on "Faith"...no knowledge, data, or info is infallible. Nothing is "for sure".
I am very certain it is sentient to the degree that it has sentient components.
Does the universe answer our prayers, incarnate itself into human form, give us wisdom or eternal life in heaven, or anything else that theists believe God gives humans?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Does the universe answer our prayers, incarnate itself into human form, give us wisdom or eternal life in heaven, or anything else that theists believe God gives humans?
Based on the questions you asked...I can tell that you are mired down in a "Religious Deity" rut.
"GOD", to me, is "ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED". Thus...everything that has been done or occurred, ever, in the entire Universe ( including any "multiverses"), is done by and through GOD, and IS GOD.
Is ALL and does ALL...that's as "Godly" as it gets. It's "The All God Show" all the time! And I revere it as such.
So, you name it...it is done by GOD, and IS GOD.
As per my perception.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:49 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Our entire reality is comprised of what enables sentience - whatever it is we call consciousness. Our awareness is a manifestation of the process of its reproduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality