Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 09:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is pretty pedantic. How do you point anything out without pointing it out????
Exactly.

Now brace yourself for a long, windy string of multi-syllabic pomposity in response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Having said that, the reason you choose not to believe is because you are in the same condition every man is born into -- your heart is deceitfully wicked (as was mine). God had to regenerate me so I could believe. If he hasn't regenerated you, it's quite easy to see why you don't believe.

And there ya go. That is what I was taught and believed as a Christian too. That "unbelievers" didn't really think there was no God. They just hadn't been made spiritually alive by God so that they could believe the "right, saving, things" about God.

Guess I've been unregenerated. God killed me.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How do you point anything out without pointing it out????
The "pedantic" problem you're pointing out doesn't occur for the pointing out of anything other than "pointing out".

Old 06-11-2016, 09:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And there ya go. That is what I was taught and believed as a Christian too. That "unbelievers" didn't really think there was no God. They just hadn't been made spiritually alive by God so that they could believe the "right, saving, things" about God.

Guess I've been unregenerated. God killed me.

You never were regenerated. The Bible is clear that Jesus would not have let you go if you were his.

Having said that, I'm not calling you a horrible, rotten, no-good evil person. You just didn't understand the Gospel. If you had you wouldn't have given it up for anything.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
You never were regenerated. The Bible is clear that Jesus would not have let you go if you were his.

Having said that, I'm not calling you a horrible, rotten, no-good evil person. You just didn't understand the Gospel. If you had you wouldn't have given it up for anything.
She escaped.

You've convinced yourself it's good to be trapped in falseness.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Oh, I didn't give it up. Hell, I fought tooth and nail to hang onto it. I just became convinced it was all a lie, especially the silliness about God being angry and condemning humanity to eternal torment, which is what your so-called gospel (good tidings of great joy, my eye) hinges on.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:41 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
As a former atheist, I recognize quite clearly that sin is fun, and I did not want to get involved in religion and submit to God.

So, yes--some of it is simply because an atheist chooses not to believe.

Not what the point was . Chooses not to believe BECAUSE he wants to lead a sinful life . I asked about a number of atheists . Care to comment on what evidence you have that these folks disbelieve so that they can sin?

Quote:

And for the record, I'd avoid reading Dan Barker as if he's some kind of expert on Christianity. If I understand correctly, he worked with Katherine Kuhlman, a noted heretic. He was never really big into theology, but was instead more focused on the signs and wonders thing. When he really understood that those things were a bunch of bunk, he went atheist. He doesn't seem to have really grasped what Christianity was really all about.

You evidently don't know much about Barker . He was an evangelist who put his life at risk evangelizing .

And what proof do you have a guy that spent decades evangelizing the lost didn't really grasp Christianity?

But even beside that , what proof do you have that Barkers decision was based on a desire to abandon belief so he could sin? Do you know any sins he is currently committing, aside from your belief that disbelief is a sin in itself ?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Not what the point was . Chooses not to believe BECAUSE he wants to lead a sinful life . I asked about a number of atheists . Care to comment on what evidence you have that these folks disbelieve so that they can sin?
I gave you my personal experience. As an atheist I wanted to sin, and I avoided discussion and belief in God.
Quote:

You evidently don't know much about Barker . He was an evangelist who put his life at risk evangelizing .

And what proof do you have a guy that spent decades evangelizing the lost didn't really grasp Christianity?

But even beside that , what proof do you have that Barkers decision was based on a desire to abandon belief so he could sin? Do you know any sins he is currently committing, aside from your belief that disbelief is a sin in itself ?
I've read his bio. He was a Pentecostal who was into Katherine Kuhlman. This is no disrespect to Pentecostals in general...but they just generally are not known for their detailed theological positions. Besides that, though, it's clear from just hearing the guy tell his story he just didn't know what real Christianity is.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:02 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This. I was raised in a Christian bubble, and I was taught that there really was no such thing as an atheist, only rebellious people who didn't want God controlling them so they told themselves there was no God.

No one I ever knew self-identified as an atheist, so I thought they must be a pretty rare breed. Then, I started encountering atheists online and I have to say, so many of them came off hostile that it rather confirmed the bias I already had that they didn't really lack belief but were just angry with God.

Then. I became aware that the bible was not infallible, and since I'd been indoctrinated with the idea that no inerrant bible = no God, I became an instant atheist. Suddenly, I understood. My lifestyle didn't change and I had no hidden desire to "sin". I was just convinced there was no God.

My position on that has swung away from atheism (though not toward a belief in the Abrahamic religions' view of God), but that experience was obviously eye-opening. I had to see it for myself to understand it.
I think I always knew there were atheists, although growing up I didn't know any. I was busy trying to figure out why my Catholic friends believed what they did, lol.

Now I know lots of atheists. I have atheist friends, and most of my siblings are atheists. I wanted to be an atheist, too, but I just can't not believe. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I kept going to the church I attend, which I basically started going to in order to meet people when I moved to a new area, was that on the first Christmas Eve the priest said, "It is hard to believe. It is hard not to believe." For me, that made perfect sense--but I know it makes zero sense to some people. And I like attending a church where thinking is encouraged.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
, "It is hard to believe. It is hard not to believe." For me, that made perfect sense--but I know it makes zero sense to some people. And I like attending a church where thinking is encouraged.
Makes perfect sense to me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality