Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 05:22 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What a wonderful person.
Great. Thanks for outing me!

Seriously though, I'd never think of myself as wonderful. I TRY to be accepting and understanding and have empathy; that is all. Believe me, I'm nothing special.

Quote:
I don't know what you believe but there has to be some good in there somewhere by just the way you treat others, sometimes I forget myself.
Oh, I have my bouts of venom and vitriol here, and elsewhere.

I don't have a lot of hard/fast beliefs. Just constantly trying to learn and experience. And have fun.

But thank you for the kind words. You are one of the more interesting posters here, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I am sincerely trying to understand or ask for your "objective proof" of the existence of "G-O-D."

But I think it would be good if you sort of gave me your definition of G-O-D because maybe I fail to see the distinction. Do you just mean a GOD that encompasses and/or surpasses the gods of all religions?

The "reality" of GOD divorced from human imaginings, writings, legends, etc.?

I am not being snide; I am honestly curious. I'm also not trying to put words in your mouth...I just want to understand your meaning.

Of course, you aren't obliged to indulge me and you don't owe me or anyone else an explanation. I'm just curious.

It strikes me as similar to the ultimate "Godhead" of Hinduism, where there may be thousands of gods for all kinds of things in the pantheon, but they are more like reflections of the overarching "real truth" of the "godhead" which surpasses description and understanding.

Again, not meaning to tell you what your belief is or put words in your mouth.

But even if what you are saying is something similar to this, what possible "objective proof" would there be?
I'm Pantheist: GOD = ALL.
I perceive GOD to be "ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED".
G-O-D is known to be expertly defined (among other ways) as "Something of Supreme Value".
Some things may be of debatable "Supreme Value". I submit: "ALL" is unequivocally "of Supreme Value".
"ALL" also objectively exists.
SO, "ALL" objectively exists, and, comports definitively as "G-O-D". Thus, "GOD" objectively exists.

BTW...that was a very cool and nice way to ask. Maybe the coolest I have ever seen on this board. Props to you.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM

23,173 posts, read 10,463,936 times
I think we are in the kingdom of heaven now and we have already lived before.

I think maybe that God runs heaven like a wise man would teach everything about his own business with a great servant. That you take that servant and put him inside somebody as a whisper to go either this way or that. Then maybe God has him born in another universe and teaches him something else about the business of it. Sounds like Re-incarnation or something but I just believe in the bible and these are some of the things that are heavily insinuated, and I will give you one example.

Jesus supposedly became a new husband for a bride in that he rules the entire earth because he can be in any man as a new Adam, a new guiding spirit where the old spirit had failed.

Jesus promises the overcomers in Revelation 2, that they shall rule all the nations with an iron fist. The point is, if you receive the promise to rule all the nations as Jesus received from his father, then it must mean that there is an Earth for each overcomer, and they are being trained to go down to Earths everywhere and to be sons of God just as Jesus was here.

It's a specific promise of total rule being inside everyone, not ruling from a throne but from within the hearts of every man on that Earth.

The bible also insinuates that we lived before this Earth was ever created and the fall of a third of heaven insinuates that spirits fell into evolved human creatures as a spirit would enter an animal and an evolution took place.

That a certain amount of people fell from heaven and each one has to be born in his own time and the world had to continue is war, in disease because there is only a certain amount of people the earth can sustain and so each one is reborn in his own time until the last one is born.

I think when you die that you will remember and say,'' Oh yeah, that's why I had to come here, because now I have this perspective that I did not have before.'' As if God just creates earth after earth, universe after universe where only one thing matters.

Growth.

That God takes a piece of love or him, like a seed that is planted and the person must bear the fruit, and if he grows this seed of spirit, there is only one spirit and God had created man evolved from animals to put his spirit in many so that they grow that spirit, HIM.

I think when we die, we will be taught another job, another perspective.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:22 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I'm Pantheist: GOD = ALL.
I perceive GOD to be "ALL THE ENERGY/MATTER THAT EXISTS AND HAS EXISTED".
G-O-D is known to be expertly defined (among other ways) as "Something of Supreme Value".
Some things may be of debatable "Supreme Value". I submit: "ALL" is unequivocally "of Supreme Value".
"ALL" also objectively exists.
SO, "ALL" objectively exists, and, comports definitively as "G-O-D". Thus, "GOD" objectively exists.
Awesome. Now see, THAT I can get behind, and (not to be a coat-tail rider) have said and felt similar things (not as eloquently stated.)

But, when asked about my belief in god(s) I have said that I don't see a deific being divorced from me or you or any random drop of water from any given ocean, or a ray of moonlight, a shaking leaf, a carpenter ant, the Crab Nebula, etc. I see whatever I might be inclined to refer to as "god" as simply the very fact of existence--the understanding that there is SOMETHING instead of NOTHING, which sounds trite, but really--why ANYTHING?

So yes, if it pleases someone to refer to "life" and nature, and natural laws as well as the infinite number of things about existence, reality, matter, energy, etc. that remain unknown or mysterious to us as "god": then I have no problem with that.

But as far as Yahweh, Odin, Apollo, Ba'al,. etc...those are mere human constructions. Sure they stem from our primitive, most base (and deep) beliefs and the creation of those gods was an attempt at understanding or coming eye to eye with "the greater" that connects us all and everything, but to claim one is "real" and the others are "wrong" is to miss the point.

Sherlock Holmes, for example, is a detective (a fictional one at that.) Sherlock Holmes is not "all and every detective" and doesn't equate to the act of detecting or the quality of being a detective. He's a symbol.

That's a very ham-handed way to try to put this into words.

But I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I think we are in the kingdom of heaven now...
Your post deserves further discussion, but I'm in a rush, so just to address this point: yes. I have thought that way myself. It's merely my personal interpretation, but Jesus is said to have said "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand."

To me that says "it is right here, touching us, all around us. You can reach out and have it." It doesn't speak (to me) of an imaginary, eternal, sometime-in-the-future Paradise. I think (assuming these are his words) he was saying "Go get it and live it. Experience it here and now. This is what God has given to you"

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
In many ways I fully agree TRANS.
If what they are "popping in as the explanation" is some Religious Deity type "God", then "presented as evidence"...we have a similar view.
I said...it is legit to be Atheist, if it is qualified to be limited to just Religious Deities. But not "G-O-D". "GOD" exists...and is objectively self-evident.
As you know, I prefer the term 'Nature' and use the term 'God' to apply to any claimed divine and duper powered entity with intelligence. I consider that it leads to less confusion and misunderstanding.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:43 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
Then all human history older than 2000 years must be false.
Please explain why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I am sincerely trying to understand or ask for your "objective proof" of the existence of "G-O-D."

But I think it would be good if you sort of gave me your definition of G-O-D because maybe I fail to see the distinction. Do you just mean a GOD that encompasses and/or surpasses the gods of all religions?
For GldnRain the answer is quite simple. All one needs to do is label EVERYTHING as 'God'. The water bottle on your desk is 'God' - ergo, 'God' exists.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Please explain why.

For GldnRain the answer is quite simple. All one needs to do is label EVERYTHING as 'God'. The water bottle on your desk is 'God' - ergo, 'God' exists.

This is just wrong, you know it's wrong but it's funny, but it is so, so wrong.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As you know, I prefer the term 'Nature' and use the term 'God' to apply to any claimed divine and duper powered entity with intelligence. I consider that it leads to less confusion and misunderstanding.
Something tells me you aren't very easily "confused" TRANS...ur a really sharp dude.
But one doesn't even have to be sharp to understand the difference between the Pantheist concept of GOD...and the myriad Religious Deity Gods.
Negligible "misunderstanding".
Pantheism is the coolest Bro! The "All God Show", all the time! It eliminates confusion. No tithing required, either!
It's the gazillion Religious Deities as "God" that causes confusion. Dump that load man!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Please explain why.

The only real "sticky wicket" to the concept I have found...is that YOU Raf, as part of "ALL", are also necessarily "GOD".
I needed a couple bourbons after that thought.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
The only real "sticky wicket" to the concept I have found...is that YOU Raf, as part of "ALL", are also necessarily "GOD".
I needed a couple bourbons after that thought.
TH?

Why aint I got no bourbon?
Why would somebody live in a bourbonless house?
Where in the world does the name Bourbon come from anyway?
When I have another son, I am going to name him bourbon, dang, so much trouble already, now I gotta pick a middle name and this may take all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality