Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 05:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Sorry for typing errors my wife had a six vein bypass and just got to her recovery room from ICU . My dog had a ruptured
tumor and my daughter blew out her ACL and MCL (odd and weird day). Very tired.
Oh man!
Good luck. Hang in there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 05:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Thought appears to be an emergent quality of a sufficiently complex brain. I realize that this is simply a description, and not an explanation. Similarly, I do not have an explanation for what appears to be our moral agency, or how our mental intent appears to control the physical, at least as far as our bodies are concerned.

I freely admit that I do not know.

I also do not create a god-concept to explain it, or result from it. That us where you seem to make your mistake. You are adding god for no good reason that I can see.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:44 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wrong. "That we know of" is correct. God IS the sentient life in the universe and everything else. There is no separate anything.That is like saying we are no more intelligent than a single neuron in our brain. Silly. You are familiar with the whole is greater than the sum of its parts? What is your evidence that there was no Consciousness? Consciousness is a field and everything in our reality is simply comprised of myriad manifestations of field. Very anthropocentric thinking. Much of your objection is based on unprovable premises about our reality.
Every single item you claim here is an unprovable premise . You have no proof any intelligent life exists higher than humans , you have no proof that the collective intelligence of all life results in a superior more-than-the-sum-of -its-parts God intelligence , you have no proof of your much claimed consciousness field , you simply have no proof of anything you claim .

Deal with this one thing . Was God conscious and did God have an intelligence in the early first million or so years of the universe when it was almost certain no life of any kind existed ?

Last edited by wallflash; 07-15-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:12 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
God is defined by very notable things he is alleged to have done. Thanks to the Bible, we have a remarkably detailed list right in the first chapter of Genesis:

- God created the heavens and the earth.

- He brought forth light.

- He separated day from night.

- He created the sky.

- He separated land from the seas.

- He created plants and trees.

- He created the sun, moon and stars and attached them to the sky.

- He created sea creatures, birds and land animals.

- He created human beings.

Now, I submit to you that there is not any person in history who has seen or detected a God or any other spirit being who creates these things. This account is completely based on the imaginations and oral traditions of ancient people who believed in such a spirit being.
Amusingly, you are basing your disbelief in God on something written in the Bible as if it were meant to be taken literally--just like fundamentalists base their belief in who God is by taking what the Bible says literally. If you've been on this forum more than an hour, you are aware that there are many Christians here who are not literalists, and you sure as hell know that Mystic is not a literalist. Therefore, your response to him with a "neh neh, what Genesis says can't be proven" is nonsensical. Of course it can't. It's a poem.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Thought appears to be an emergent quality of a sufficiently complex brain. I realize that this is simply a description, and not an explanation. Similarly, I do not have an explanation for what appears to be our moral agency, or how our mental intent appears to control the physical, at least as far as our bodies are concerned.

I freely admit that I do not know.

I also do not create a god-concept to explain it, or result from it. That us where you seem to make your mistake. You are adding god for no good reason that I can see.
The question is "why do we (brain) insert it"?

Old 07-16-2016, 08:59 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Amusingly, you are basing your disbelief in God on something written in the Bible as if it were meant to be taken literally--just like fundamentalists base their belief in who God is by taking what the Bible says literally. If you've been on this forum more than an hour, you are aware that there are many Christians here who are not literalists, and you sure as hell know that Mystic is not a literalist. Therefore, your response to him with a "neh neh, what Genesis says can't be proven" is nonsensical. Of course it can't. It's a poem.
So, if God didn't do the things listed in Genesis chapter 1, then what did God do exactly? Is all religion just a poem?

Note that, until fairly recently, the vast majority of Christians believed that Genesis chapter 1 was a literally and historically true account.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
So, if God didn't do the things listed in Genesis chapter 1, then what did God do exactly? Is all religion just a poem?

Note that, until fairly recently, the vast majority of Christians believed that Genesis chapter 1 was a literally and historically true account.
Why is there a need for a god having magical entities invented by the fairy tales of a bronze aged, itinerant, superstitious and ignorant bunch of desert goat herders sitting around their campfires?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:23 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:

But that is only one God.

I have read the opposite, that in Medieval times Christians viewed the Bible as allegorical. I do not remember whwre I read it but it was in more than one place. If I am mistaken please ignore as going on memory of what I read.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
The Christian God of the Bible -- which is actually just the made-up tribal god of the Hebrews -- didn't do a bloody thing. A non-existent entity cannot directly affect the real world much less create one. Almost every tribe of every point on earth has a creation myth; the Hebrews were no different.

There's simply no reason to assume that one tribal god really exists while all the rest of them are bunk.

Quote:
There are still far too many Christians who continue to believe that Genesis 1 is an historically true account. That just goes to show us all that reality doesn't stand a chance against a good story.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:44 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
But that is only one God.

I have read the opposite, that in Medieval times Christians viewed the Bible as allegorical. I do not remember whwre I read it but it was in more than one place. If I am mistaken please ignore as going on memory of what I read.
Was it Cantor's book? My copy is down in Florida right now so I can't check, but it is an amazing book about how much the Church influenced, and in some cases held back, civilization in the Middle Ages.

https://www.amazon.com/Civilization-...he+middle+ages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality