Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Attention: THEISTS!

Follow along closely for a glimmer of enlightenment.

IF you understand why you reject all the gods you don't believe in (and there are many)...

THEN you understand why I reject yours.

In the end, that makes us both atheists. I simply reject one more god than you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

IF you understand why you reject all the gods you don't believe in (and there are many)...

In the end, that makes us both atheists. I simply reject one more god than you do.
I always did like that one.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:57 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:

This is a good illustration but it runs afoul of a technicality, which is that atheism by definition is not believing in ANY deities at all. Once you believe in even one, you're now in the theist camp.

So to be pedantic about it, I'd put it this way:

"In the end, that makes us both unbelievers in many gods. I simply don't afford belief to one more god than you."

This also gets at the true difference between a theist and an atheist. Theists insist that there MUST be a god in the picture ... and that they have selected the correct one. The Rubicon that an atheists has crossed, is that, no, there doesn't HAVE to be a god. Gods prove nothing, explain nothing, predict nothing, protect nothing, and enlighten no one. They are not necessary entities, and as such, violate Occam's Razor, which advises against the unnecessary multiplication of entities to explain things.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! Warden is my favorite Christian preacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mine, too.
I'm a fan too.

Warden certainly seems to have more of Jesus in him than any 10 fundies combined on this forum.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm a fan too.

Warden certainly seems to have more of Jesus in him than any 10 fundies combined on this forum.
I've learned a great deal from Warden. And I am immensely grateful he posts on this forum.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Naw, We just love to sin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_5su8InOE

Disclaimer....I do not believe in sin.....

Old 06-11-2016, 10:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Uh, of course that's precisely what you just did... obsessing over Christians and theists and finger-pointing.
There is nothing but self-ratifying rationalization to differentiate your comment from that which you criticized.
You may be correct, but commiting the same offense to point that out isn't worth it.
That was a good one on the surface...

But, I have no obsession with Christians and their finger pointing about 'so and so
sinning and going to hell' ...but I do notice it.
I committed no offense...they will admit proudly themselves they are obsessed with it!
I don't think that is an incorrect observation.

I don't much mind what they do.

My posts stand for themselves
over the time I have been here as to what I do care about.

Wait....now K. Kuhlman is being called a heretic! ? Whoa.

Nice one, Wardendresden.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 06-11-2016 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2016, 11:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
There are two kinds of people I can never hope to understand: People who had happy childhoods and loving families, and people who don't believe in SOMETHING.
Everyone believes in something. I mean....I think bankers are the scum of the earth!

Quote:
I am fine with atheists as long as they aren't the perpetually annoying ones ....
Yeah. I'm the same with Christians.

Quote:
Still, I sure as hell can't understand it. Life without a God to worship would just seem pretty dull to me.
Perhaps you need to get out more!

Quote:
So atheism is to me like those guys who like My Little Pony erotica...:
Huh! Got a link to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In my opinion, one of the reasons why some atheists/Agnostics don't believe in God is that they don't feel the need of God in their lives.
Ummmm. No...it's because we have no belief in gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Can atheist truly not grasp that some people simply see evidence of God and want to follow a particular faith and see no point in not believing in God?
Yes...we grasp it. What we don't grasp is how, every minute of the day, theists employ logic, reason and common sense to dismiss a multitude of super-natural entities; yet when it comes to the particular supernatural entity that they desperately want to be true, they take that very same logic, reason and common sense with which they dismiss all other supernatural entities and throw it out of the window, preferring to rely on 'faith'....as if 'faith' was something good, something to be applauded and cherished!!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That was a good one on the surface... But, I have no obsession with Christians
I'd be surprised if you would admit it. How about we just leave it as "that was a good one" and maybe acknowledge that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and move on.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:58 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:

It's because you don't want OR feel, the NEED of God in your life.

When and if, you feel the need of God in your life then you will perform your own independent research and use your own intelligence to find the truth.

And there is a standard method to take this journey.

You will set a simple and straight forward criteria that a God (of any religion) will be judged by its book.

Then you will start with studying the holy text of a religion of your choice, and you will go thru all books of all religions that claim to be holy.

And here is the key: during your study of each holy book of each religion under your research, you periodically ask yourself this key question, "Is it the truth?"
And you let your heart answer the question.

This will most likely help you separate truth from lies, and you should be able to reject all Gods except one. The one whose message talks to your heart.

Remember, brain does the research and look for the signs of God, it's the HEART that leaps into faith.

we should use our intelligence to make choices based on free will, and in the end, we will be responsible of our choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality