Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,233,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I'm sure this is indeed your opinion, and you are welcome to it . You cannot , however , prove that one word of what you have said is anything BUT your opinion .
no, it is direct experience

i am wondering how much time have you spent with small children in your life, really listening to them, whether you are a parent, whether you are a teacher, how much time you have spent with infants, toddlers, small children, what is your actual real life first-hand experience with small children

based on what we see on these boards regarding your unwillingness to actually listen to others, i am guessing that you may be unwilling and unable to listen to children either. just an observation based on observing interactions with others on these boards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:02 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, it is direct experience

i am wondering how much time have you spent with small children in your life, really listening to them, whether you are a parent, whether you are a teacher, how much time you have spent with infants, toddlers, small children, what is your actual real life first-hand experience with small children

based on what we see on these boards regarding your unwillingness to actually listen to others, i am guessing that you may be unwilling and unable to listen to children either. just an observation based on observing interactions with others on these boards.

That's nice . But your experience is colored by your beliefs and your ways of interpreting these experiences . You wish to believe that God belief is innate in people, and so you will interpret every experience in that light. You are welcome to it and if it brings you comfort and joy then good for you . But it's still a subjective experience interpreted through your predisposed view of things .

I would tend to see such things as children innately experiencing the natural not-twoness of non duality , without the need to couch it in religious or theistic terms .

Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
That's nice . But your experience is colored by your beliefs and your ways of interpreting these experiences . You wish to believe that God belief is innate in people, and so you will interpret every experience in that light. You are welcome to it and if it brings you comfort and joy then good for you . But it's still a subjective experience interpreted through your predisposed view of things .
direct experience of the Divine is innate in humans
because we are directly connected to the Divine through our soul
which every person has

it takes a lot of tap dancing and convolutions and bending over backwards to not only ignore this in a person's own life, but to also attempt to silence and discredit and ridicule every human who quite naturally experiences this. which is what combative atheists on these boards seem bent on doing.

and if you ever took the time to actually listen to what people are saying, instead of talking over them and telling them what they believe and telling them what they experience, you would find that you have it backwards: direct personal experiences happen first, which lead them to cultivating a conscious relationship with the Divine.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
No, some people just require proof before accepting every claim from every religionist on these forums . It's really a common sense approach to life .

And you seem to take a person not readily accepting everything you say as combativeness and ridicule . You should work on this. People are not required to accept everything you claim as gospel . Learn to deal with this without anger and rancor .

Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Some people require proof that other people aren't total db's too.

And that's not database as I'm currently running a SQL query.lol

Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
direct experience of the Divine is innate in humans
because we are directly connected to the Divine through our soul
which every person has

it takes a lot of tap dancing and convolutions and bending over backwards to not only ignore this in a person's own life, but to also attempt to silence and discredit and ridicule every human who quite naturally experiences this. which is what combative atheists on these boards seem bent on doing.

and if you ever took the time to actually listen to what people are saying, instead of talking over them and telling them what they believe and telling them what they experience, you would find that you have it backwards: direct personal experiences happen first, which lead them to cultivating a conscious relationship with the Divine.
I consider it ignoring the indoctrination I received as a young child. If everyone is connected to this divine, why are so many in disagreement about what this divine is saying and where it leads?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:29 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I consider it ignoring the indoctrination I received as a young child. If everyone is connected to this divine, why are so many in disagreement about what this divine is saying and where it leads?
well, we are human and very ego centric by nature... That may not be the answer however. It could be the case of multiple witness theory.

Or, it could be the old adage 'God works in mysterious ways'.

I, as a believer, don't really concern myself with others beliefs or nonbeliefs. Sure, the incessant bickering gets old and stale but any person who has thought, experience, and defined what it is they truly 'think' about in regards to their metaphysics, I have no issue. I don't like extremists of any stripe so I just tune out the yappers. It's kind of like coyotes but coyotes are eerily peaceful when the pack is going nuts. Same with hyenas.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
children are naturally in contact with the Divine from the time they are born, because that is their natural state: open and loving and freely interacting with the Divine.
Most children who grow up in the U.S. think of this contact with the divine only in terms of Christianity.

Most children in Israel think of the divine only in terms of Judaism.

Most children in other Middle-Eastern countries think of the divine only in terms of Islam.

Most children in India think of the divine only in terms of Hinduism.

Isn't it rather curious how that happens?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
well, we are human and very ego centric by nature... That may not be the answer however. It could be the case of multiple witness theory.

Or, it could be the old adage 'God works in mysterious ways'.

I, as a believer, don't really concern myself with others beliefs or nonbeliefs. Sure, the incessant bickering gets old and stale but any person who has thought, experience, and defined what it is they truly 'think' about in regards to their metaphysics, I have no issue. I don't like extremists of any stripe so I just tune out the yappers. It's kind of like coyotes but coyotes are eerily peaceful when the pack is going nuts. Same with hyenas.
I would suspect it would be difficult to "tune out" a suicide bomber who was told by his divine voice to do what he's planning on doing in your general vicinity.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
It really isn't a pick, but it is either A or not A.
its not an omni dude and its not "nothing". so that leaves us in a pickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality