Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I would take that as a given.
I see the entire OT as chronicling the evolution of our understanding of God. The idea of "lessons" definitely resonates with my understanding, especially of the Eden fable which was the first and most important lesson to learn if we are to achieve our purpose.
We are quite close here, except that I would see it as an evolution of our hypothesizing of god -concepts. I can recall some pretty "hidden" interpretation of the various parts of the brain as relating to the Eden story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:41 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I would take that as a given.
I see the entire OT as chronicling the evolution of our understanding of God. The idea of "lessons" definitely resonates with my understanding, especially of the Eden fable which was the first and most important lesson to learn if we are to achieve our purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We are quite close here, except that I would see it as an evolution of our hypothesizing of god -concepts. I can recall some pretty "hidden" interpretation of the various parts of the brain as relating to the Eden story.
Yes, quite so. This is all quite speculative but I have believed for some time that our unconscious knowledge of things influences our imaginations, hence the reality of the operation of our brain reflected in the symbolism of the Eden story. The myth could indicate the existence of God influencing some primordial unconscious intuition about this fundamental process of brain function (or not but it is consistent with my views). The idea that self-control is key to achieving our purpose also could be reflected in another myth possibly influenced by brain function. I believe that myths have more to tell us than most would credit.

Hermaphroditus, according to mythology, is noted for having rejected the carnal love of the nymph Salmacis in whose fountain he bathed. Salmacis then prayed to the gods that she might forever be united with him. This resulted in a being half-male and half-female. Male and female express the negative and positive polarities of existence as reflected in many of the mystical conceptions, such as the Chinese Yin and Yang. However, here the mythological connection is most interesting.

Among the amino acids in the brain, we find a very special kind of ion that affords some intriguing speculation and a slight play on words. This species of ion has a unique structure . . . a positive and a negative charge in balance. For this reason and no doubt influenced by knowledge of the preceding myth, it is called a Zwitter-ion, or Z-ion. Zwitter is the German word for hybrid or hermaphrodite.

Clearly the name was probably given to the ion because of the symbolism of the myth. Nevertheless, think about the possible relationship of the myth's existence to some primordial conscious intuition about this fundamental process of brain function. If God's consciousness really is available to inspire our consciousness and those of the early "prophets," it is not inconceivable that this basic idea would have been communicated in terms that would make sense to primitive minds.

Hermaphroditus' rejection of the carnal love of the nymph in whose fountain he bathed resulted in the creation of a unique creature, half-male and half-female. Consider the possibility that a rejection of carnal drives by our Spirit as it bathes in the fluid (fountain) around our brain might produce the unique Z-ions, half-positive and half-negative. Of course, the similarity between the terms "Z-ion" and "Zion" has to be purely coincidental, but the preceding speculation makes the coincidence very intriguing. When you connect this with the idea that we must be born again of "water and the Spirit," this makes my view of the amniotic fluid in the brain as the "water of life" referred to in scripture quite interesting, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality