Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if i understand you correctly, you have a strongly held low opinion of "venerated books"
however many people do find them a veritable treasure map that reveals unending wonders and delights
in cultivating relationship with the Divine
do you reject the Divine also, or just the texts which seek to be a map leading us to the Divine?
I suspect he finds the descriptions of the Divine in the books you venerate to be considerably less than Divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
your intellectual understanding is limited and flawed
Genesis is not
If you can do a better job that Eusebius (who is reduced to cheering on substitutes while denying that he has been pounded to a frazzle) I shall be impressed.

So my case is that Genesis has some things in the wrong (if the geological and Palaeontological evidence counts for anything) order of creation. For one thing, Veg before sea creatures. And that before sun moon and celestial bodies were created (1) Birds before land creatures. Even flying dinosaurs were very late in the evolutionary story and we don't get birds till the later Jurassic and cretaceous.

You now have the opportunity to correct my limited and flawed intellectual understanding. Off you go.

(1) The 'cloud cover' excuse doesn't work. Moses wasn't there to seee the limited human view of things And if God showed or dictated the creation to Moses he would know the facts better.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If you can do a better job that Eusebius (who is reduced to cheering on substitutes while denying that he has been pounded to a frazzle) I shall be impressed.

So my case is that Genesis has some things in the wrong (if the geological and Palaeontological evidence counts for anything) order of creation. For one thing, Veg before sea creatures. And that before sun moon and celestial bodies were created (1) Birds before land creatures. Even flying dinosaurs were very late in the evolutionary story and we don't get birds till the later Jurassic and cretaceous.

You now have the opportunity to correct my limited and flawed intellectual understanding. Off you go.

(1) The 'cloud cover' excuse doesn't work. Moses wasn't there to seee the limited human view of things And if God showed or dictated the creation to Moses he would know the facts better.
Don't hold your breath Arq.

Some people are just too darn spiritually evolved to wallow in the mire of logic, reason and science.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:50 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Just a note, re: the OP.
This question was answered many years ago (from within the Jewish theological construct):

"Of all the clean animals: that are destined to be clean for Israel. We learn [from here] that Noah studied the Torah. — [Zev. 116a]"

This commentary by Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki cites the talmud, Tractate Zevachim and the medrash Bereishis Rabbah (32:7).

Old 06-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't hold your breath Arq.

Some people are just too darn spiritually evolved to wallow in the mire of logic, reason and science.
I'm happy either way. I either have an argument to deal with (and I will be surprised if it has anything new or valid) or I win by default. I shall leave the credibility implications of that until I see whether Tzaph.comes up with anything. She is probably searching the Creationist sites right now.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Just a note, re: the OP.
This question was answered many years ago (from within the Jewish theological construct):

"Of all the clean animals: that are destined to be clean for Israel. We learn [from here] that Noah studied the Torah. — [Zev. 116a]"

This commentary by Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki cites the talmud, Tractate Zevachim and the medrash Bereishis Rabbah (32:7).
That strikes me as odd. Wasn't the Torah unknown to humans until the Exodus? How does Yitzchaki and the Talmud explain how it was known before it was given?

Old 06-15-2016, 11:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You claim to be a seminary trained pastor and you are not familiar with the Documentary Hypothesis. You summarily accept the nonsense that Moses wrote the Pentateuch (Torah)??? I suppose it is not surprising given the other nonsense you believe.
"Not aware" or don't believe? They are 2 different things.

Here you are again ranting at me, portraying the idea that you're the smartest guy in the room. Honestly? It's tiring. Most of us just tune you out because you rarely have anything to say of value. Maybe step down off your high horse once in awhile and have a real conversation with us and you might find it interesting.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
I have always been curious who wrote the ending of Deuteronomy given Moses was dead then. A ghost writer Had to be after all the infallible folks believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch, so who else could have done so?
There are a number of theories. Some suggest Joshua or a scribe. Some suggest that Samuel was the one that compiled it together. Surely, the end of Moses was well-known to all.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Because the evidence does not fit Genesis. I had a debate with Eusebius about the sun and moon made after the light and his explanation was the cloud theory. But that only works if you are seeing it from the point of view of being on the earth and not knowing that the sun and moon were actually there. But a God dictating it to him would know. And of course the order of creation doesn't agree with the evidence. Are you going to say that the Bible is right and the evidence is wrong? You wouldn't be the first.

Ah. I thought you might be along.
Interesting that we hear there is no evidence for God, now you're telling the "evidence doesn't fit". OK. I guess we're making progress. The point is though, you just don't believe the evidence. But you really don't KNOW if it's right or wrong--it's just your opinion.

I'm ok with dismissing your ideas in favor of believing scholars much smarter than both of us in regards to textual studies.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
That strikes me as odd. Wasn't the Torah unknown to humans until the Exodus? How does Yitzchaki and the Talmud explain how it was known before it was given?
According to certain traditional Jewish thought, the Torah was "written" (in fire) some 2000 years before creation and the forefathers learned aspects of it.

For a summary of the opinions, try The Written Law - Torah | Jewish Virtual Library

For a discussion of the question of the forefathers' keeping aspects of the written law, history - Avot keeping Mitzvot - Mi Yodeya

for a tangential discussion about what the forefathers learned, gentiles - Yeshivat Sheim v'Eiver - Mi Yodeya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality