Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Talk is cheap. I will believe it when I see action.
I agree. Far to often politicians give themselves over to lip service. Moments of silence and prayer are fed to the nation. I was mean to gay kids in elementary school?

He sounds like he is running for office replete with a joke stereotype about his manner of dress.

This was a stump speech. Sounds like he is up for re-election.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good for him. In his position, that took a lot of guts. Hopefully, he'll now walk the walk of solidarity with the lgbtq community.
It's pandering. No different than what any other politician does routinely on any other issue. This guy sees the way the political winds are blowing and he's hoping to go along with the flow.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:46 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's pandering. No different than what any other politician does routinely on any other issue. This guy sees the way the political winds are blowing and he's hoping to go along with the flow.
Or he has changed his mind. Ideas and opinions do evolve over time and occasionally quite rapidly. I do not distrust or refuse to believe anyone based on their occupation, race, gender or religion unless they provide me reasons not to.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:13 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He is reacting to what God has "written in our hearts" under the guidance of the Comforter in defiance of the "precepts and doctrines of men" his church follows. It happens more and more to truly Christ-like followers of Christ. Unfortunately, the majority are still anti-Christ apostates in these latter days as prophesied. The few who listen to their hearts are an encouraging sign. The majority who remain condemnatory and hard-hearted, like Vizio, simply add to the evil this world embodies all the while thinking they are being righteous. It is a travesty!
Quote:
You are so hard-hearted and cynical in your bigotry that you cannot even imagine someone responding to the truth God has "written in our hearts" because your dogma and "precepts and doctrines of men" have blinded you to even the most basic human decency.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:26 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I too think it's time to go on the offensive and start targeting those boorish Christian bigots cheering on the fact the world has 49 fewer gays.
Fundamentalism must be eradicated.
Actually I heard that there was only one pastor is a start up church who said great for fewer gays , and Then the media never once asked Christians what they thought of this Pastor saying this , which was Condemned by the mass of Christians ...... See if this was Muslim then the media would ask Muslims to condemn this action , but the media would never ask a Christian , and many leader of this country would never ask a Christian to condemn the action or comment of Christian who says evil ideas

Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:

LOL ...you obviously have no idea what it means to be a Mormon politician in Utah.

Pandering? To whom? To the tens of thousands of out of the closet gay men who flew a rainbow flag from the back of their bike while on their mission?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:03 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I watched it and didn't see anything so earth shattering. Maybe it seems different to you Katz because you are a Mormon. He gave a speech talking about how we need to love one one another. Meanwhile, he belongs to a church that openly discriminates against the LBTG community. What he didn't say anything about was how that needs to change. Had he tried to apologize on behalf of the Mormon church (even if he doesn't have the authority to) that would have been impressive.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 06-17-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,708,449 times
I wonder what Tom Monson thinks about it.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It is now to the point that if you do not support me and those like me then you are now the enemy, and will be treated as such, and words mean nothing in this fight. And to all of the "Christians" that keep saying that at least we aren't committing mass murder while fighting to deny me basic protections under the law and speak hate that allows this kind of idea to fester, YOU are the enemy.
You hate even your straight allies, don't you, jjrose? I DO support you and those like you and I am NOT the enemy. You just think I am because I am a Christian, and that's just as bigoted a position to take as the position many Christians take against the LGBT population. And the Lt. Governor appears to me to have had a genuine change of heart. I sincerely believe that he is in a position to make a difference and I strongly suspect he will do whatever it is in his power to do in the future. You are judging him, me, and "people like us" without provocation. I'm curious... did you even bother to watch the video? If you didn't, you don't have much room to criticize him. If you did, what could he have done differently? Is there anything at all he could have said that would have elicited a more gentle response from you, or are you just determined to reject the sincere hand of friendship from "people like him and me," regardless of what we may say or do?

Old 06-17-2016, 08:41 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
From what I understand, the LDS church as a whole is kind of pivoting to embrace homosexuality. He's only doing what the church leaders have modeled.
Oh yeah, right. Just six months ago, the LDS Church came out with a new policy stating that the children of same-sex couples could not be baptized as members of the Church, and that same-sex couples themselves were to be excommunicated. Does that sound like they're embracing homosexuality to you? Good grief, man, get your damned facts straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality