Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Vellum? In prison? And what about ink... I'm actually afraid to ask...
Typically, jail at that time was not the same type of jail we have today. People were confined, and he was likely under house arrest, but he still had access to parchments and writing utensils. Of course, he would have also been able to dictate a letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 01:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Can you conceive of a way that God could reveal itself that would remove any doubt ? And could make the Bible unnecessary ?
That's God's job, not ours. I think I could come up with something given the kinds of resources we believe are available to God, but I actually don't know. In any case, it is clear that the Bible isn't that much of a success. I sure hope God is working on an alternate means of enlightening mankind as to His existence, His purpose for creating us, and what, if anything, He expects of us.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
That's God's job, not ours. I think I could come up with something given the kinds of resources we believe are available to God, but I actually don't know. In any case, it is clear that the Bible isn't that much of a success. I sure hope God is working on an alternate means of enlightening mankind as to His existence, His purpose for creating us, and what, if anything, He expects of us.
There will be a day when he will come back, and he will judge the world. it will be crystal clear who he is, then.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:06 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,286,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How about becoming a man and walking the earth? Maybe dying on a cross to pay for our sins?

And then..how about if men wrote down the story of it?

And Muhammad lived and spoke with Allah and Allah told Muhammad what to say , and men wrote that down . And Buddha achieved enlightenment and men wrote that story down . And it's all based on believing a story that happened thousands of yrs ago and trying to distinguish which old story , if any , is the correct story.

You can't think of a better way than having to decide between competing old mythologies ?

Quote:

When Jesus comes back, he will rule over the earth in what's called the Millenium--1000 years. And that will prove that people are unwilling to obey him EVEN when he is living in our midst. What makes you think that this download you speak of would solve that?

So you don't accept that God can reach the hearts of men and teach them as the Bible says, only in a more direct and foolproof way ?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
And Muhammad lived and spoke with Allah and Allah told Muhammad what to say , and men wrote that down . And Buddha achieved enlightenment and men wrote that story down . And it's all based on believing a story that happened thousands of yrs ago and trying to distinguish which old story , if any , is the correct story.

Muhammed was a man. Only a man. An illiterate one at that. And a murderous warlord. So what?

Buddah was a man. If he even existed.

What's your point?
Quote:
You can't think of a better way than having to decide between competing old mythologies ?

So you don't accept that God can reach the hearts of men and teach them as the Bible says, only in a more direct and foolproof way ?
He became one of us and walked the earth. He died and rose again. He started a church and uses men and women to proclaim his message.

I'm quite confident that any method he came up, there would be people that would find a reason to disbelieve.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
There will be a day when he will come back, and he will judge the world. it will be crystal clear who he is, then.

Why not do it now ?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Muhammed was a man. Only a man. An illiterate one at that. And a murderous warlord. So what?

Buddah was a man. If he even existed.

What's your point?

He became one of us and walked the earth. He died and rose again. He started a church and uses men and women to proclaim his message.

I'm quite confident that any method he came up, there would be people that would find a reason to disbelieve.

All of the above is based on

A) Disbelieve everyone else's religious story

B) Believe MY religious story

Not exactly the most compelling or error free method .

Carl Sagan postulates in one of his books about God putting a code in pi. There are any number of ways a God could reveal its presence to successive generations as their level of knowledge and technology advanced .

In one of the Star Trek novels it is revealed that Vulcans have a direct awareness of God. Clearly no one could deny what they experienced directly .

Last edited by wallflash; 06-23-2016 at 03:30 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
All of the above is based on

A) Disbelieve everyone else's religious story

B) Believe MY religious story

Not exactly the most compelling or error free method .

Carl Sagan postulates in one of his books about God putting a code in pi. There are any number of ways a God could reveal its presence to successive generations as their level of knowledge and technology advanced .
Isn't that what you're doing if you tell me your theory of atheism or unbelief?

Old 06-23-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what you're doing if you tell me your theory of atheism or unbelief?

How so? Disbelief is not based on positive evidence God doesn't exist , so there is no story to tell or believe in .It is based on the decision there isn't sufficient evidence of a God to believe in.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:54 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
God did put a better book together. It's called the Quran.

At least if you believe the Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality