Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If (big if) there is a God. S/he or it cannot be an idiot. Regardless of how unfathomable its intelligence there are some absolutes of Logic that function across all continuums. A God that has let humanity run its course devoid of any meaningful interaction, will not ever "judge" the behavior of humanity at any point in time without warning. It is clearly our job to self-govern and instill in succeeding generations such values as we deem necessary to move forward. Murder, rape, incest... God is not judging. We are. We have been given that responsibility. We have evidence that incest between close family members is detrimental to the mental and physical well being of off-spring. God didn't tell us incest is wrong, we came to that understanding ourselves through experience. Belief in God is not bad. It's silly, but it isn't bad in and of itself. Believing that God cares about human destiny in general or individual humanity in particular is bad. Worse than bad, actually. I would go so far as to say that anyone who can believe seriously that there is an anthropomorphic "God" i.e. "Sky Daddy" controlling individual destiny...maybe I should just leave it here... yeah... I think I'll do that.
You basically just described deism which I converted to from Christianity. Deism says there is a God or how could there be a universe that functions with such precision. But it says this God set natural laws in motion and allows those laws to govern the operation of the universe. This God doesn't involve itself in human affairs. It doesn't judge. It basically lets us alone. It's a coin toss what happens to us when we die. My personal belief based on NDE's is that some survive death and others don't. Doesn't seem fair but then what in life and death is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM

97 posts, read 55,698 times
You forget the primary characters in THE BOOK are humans. For all their foibles, faults and mistakes Jehovah MADE SURE TO INCLUDE the humble, meek and lowly persons that pleased him. He grew to love these ones like Abraham or David or Mary. She had the honor to carry the Messiah and God's only begotten Son.
So though it accounts for his dealings with fallen mankind its still a book of hope. It tells of how a king as bad as Mannaseh of Judah though he burnt his sons in the fire to a pagan god, when he humbled himself and repented he redeemed himself and was forgiven
Thats the caliber of the true God of the Bible. Forgiving when theres a basis. Man is made in his image WE HAVE A LOT TO LEARN.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You basically just described deism which I converted to from Christianity. Deism says there is a God or how could there be a universe that functions with such precision. But it says this God set natural laws in motion and allows those laws to govern the operation of the universe. This God doesn't involve itself in human affairs. It doesn't judge. It basically lets us alone. It's a coin toss what happens to us when we die. My personal belief based on NDE's is that some survive death and others don't. Doesn't seem fair but then what in life and death is?
So...why?

Why did it do that?

Old 06-24-2016, 06:34 AM

689 posts, read 549,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
An infinitely intelligent being wanted to pass down a book to us and he had enough room for about 31,000 English words. Why so much redundancy (e.g. 4 books about Jesus' life, lots of repeated stories) and so much space taken up with stuff that isn't relevant to us anymore? Not to mention the fact that many Christian doctrines hang on a single verse. You would think that if God wanted to communicate to us a concept like the Trinity or Predestination, he would've dedicated a whole book to making it clear. Also, it would've been nice if he could've included a hint about how to cure cancer or AIDS.
it's a multiple accounts of human testimonies. Compare it with any human history book of 2000 years you may tell that that's the way how humans record things down.

He's making Himself clear enough for His Elect to be saved while those not of His Elect to be condemned. His this purpose is served very well, No?

Last edited by Hawkins; 06-24-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
An infinitely intelligent being wanted to pass down a book to us and he had enough room for about 31,000 English words. Why so much redundancy (e.g. 4 books about Jesus' life, lots of repeated stories) and so much space taken up with stuff that isn't relevant to us anymore? Not to mention the fact that many Christian doctrines hang on a single verse. You would think that if God wanted to communicate to us a concept like the Trinity or Predestination, he would've dedicated a whole book to making it clear. Also, it would've been nice if he could've included a hint about how to cure cancer or AIDS.
Sounds as if you think you know more than God! You must be very intelligent in your own eyes. Anyone can be a skeptic and criticize the Bible- many people on here seem to have nothing better to do with their time. I can't imagine thinking I know more than God. God says that the man who is wise in his own eyes is a fool.I don't claim to understand His Word completely, but I also am not skeptical or cynical in my beliefs. My experience with Him is that He is completely trustworthy and I have no business questioning Him.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
The problem is GOD DID NOT GIVE US THE BIBLE---It was written by MEN and then edited and assembled by other MEN--many (ALL) who had NO direct interaction with people who lived hundreds of years earlier.

Had God been involved, I am sure it would have been a much better read and it would even make sense and be reasonable..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Had God been involved, I am sure it would have been a much better read and it would even make sense and be reasonable..
Also, if the Bible was the Word of God, then it would actually tell us how humans got here and not make up some mythical tale about it.

We wouldn't have to wait around thousands of years for scientific discoveries to reveal how it all happened.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The problem is GOD DID NOT GIVE US THE BIBLE---It was written by MEN and then edited and assembled by other MEN--many (ALL) who had NO direct interaction with people who lived hundreds of years earlier.

I agree. If there's a God, it did not have a heavy hand in writing the Bible. It would have been involved as far as God being in every person, but how that was interpreted - and exaggerated in parts and minimized in others (i.e. to give power to the authority; generally, certain specific males of specific status) - and how support for one's own vengeance and manifest destiny attitude, so to speak, were man-made...as they always are. So too did human imagination figure in, and, I'm sorry to say, ignorance (i.e. the creation myth and other myths as explanation for what science could not yet interpret or even, perhaps, address as a question).

Old 06-24-2016, 12:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Also, if the Bible was the Word of God, then it would actually tell us how humans got here and not make up some mythical tale about it.

We wouldn't have to wait around thousands of years for scientific discoveries to reveal how it all happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I agree. If there's a God, it did not have a heavy hand in writing the Bible. It would have been involved as far as God being in every person, but how that was interpreted - and exaggerated in parts and minimized in others (i.e. to give power to the authority; generally, certain specific males of specific status) - and how support for one's own vengeance and manifest destiny attitude, so to speak, were man-made...as they always are. So too did human imagination figure in, and, I'm sorry to say, ignorance (i.e. the creation myth and other myths as explanation for what science could not yet interpret or even, perhaps, address as a question).
It is really really SAD that so many evangelical cultists' FAITH rely and DEPEND on a book and NOT on the WORD of GOD itself...

Take away the ancient-misogynistic-oppressive-vengeful-incestuous book, and the cultists are LOST and are unable to function.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually God has a cure for cancer , which comes with the baptism of Holy spirit , Jesus told all Christians to get , where then all power will be there to prevent this sickness of cancer ........ The key is by the blood of Jesus . As Jesus said to here ``Stay cleansed by the blood of Jesus power and listen and obey and you will never have this sickness ``......... See people will have to take up the authority of believers and loose the spiritual wickedness in the high places who hold curses like cancer sickness and bind this spirit up and caste it down in Jesus name , plus people will need to bind up demons and powers of darkness and caste them down in Jesus name ``Glory to God ``.......... Then people will need to eat right which will prevent them from getting this sickness , like smoking would be out and eating cold cut meats with sodium nitrate would be out eating foods which prevent this sickness would be needed ............... See with the power of Holy Spirit by the baptism people need to pray for others and this power of God will grow, as God help though who helps others ......

I've personally known many believers who were very devout Christians who *gasp* died from cancer. I personally know an elder from the church I grew up in who is currently battling cancer. He's one of the most devout Christians and most "Godly" man I've ever known. His devoutly Christian daughter died of cancer in her 30s.

I'm sure that by your logic, they had some sort of hidden sin or some sort of lack of faith that caused this to happen...right? I grew up in the church and attended a private Christian school from Kindergarten through graduation. I'm blown away that people still believe this stuff.

Are you one of those people who handle poisonous snakes too, expecting to not die if bitten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality