Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post

He's making Himself clear enough for His Elect to be saved while those not of His Elect to be condemned. His this purpose is served very well, No?
You actually believe and approve THAT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I've personally known many believers who were very devout Christians who *gasp* died from cancer. I personally know an elder from the church I grew up in who is currently battling cancer. He's one of the most devout Christians and most "Godly" man I've ever known. His devoutly Christian daughter died of cancer in her 30s.

I'm sure that by your logic, they had some sort of hidden sin or some sort of lack of faith that caused this to happen...right? I grew up in the church and attended a private Christian school from Kindergarten through graduation. I'm blown away that people still believe this stuff.

Are you one of those people who handle poisonous snakes too, expecting to not die if bitten?
It's basically blaming the patient for having the disease.

I look forward to the day superstitious beliefs disguised as religion are eradicated by education and knowledge.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:33 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
It's the most recent inspired book on it isn't it?
Not according to the Mormons.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
it's a multiple accounts of human testimonies. Compare it with any human history book of 2000 years you may tell that that's the way how humans record things down.

He's making Himself clear enough for His Elect to be saved while those not of His Elect to be condemned. His this purpose is served very well, No?

I guess if your point is that God really doesn't want some people to understand and come to know God so that they might be saved according to Gods rules , then yes .

A very strange sort of God .

Old 06-24-2016, 05:02 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I guess if your point is that God really doesn't want some people to understand and come to know God so that they might be saved according to Gods rules , then yes .

A very strange sort of God .
Is "strange" PC for "savage?"

Old 06-24-2016, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
I wonder if we didnt have the bible would we think ourselves different then people 10,000 years ago? The bible does show we are the same.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I wonder if we didnt have the bible would we think ourselves different then people 10,000 years ago? The bible does show we are the same.
The Bible gave people the best knowledge that could be expected before the age of scientific inquiry.

But after 1860 or so, the Bible started to get wildly off the mark in terms of accuracy about what people knew at the time. In other words, it was good while it lasted.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Sounds as if you think you know more than God!
*snicker* There is no "god" for us to be smarter than. I think you know that's what we atheists believe, so there is no "wow factor" when placing us versus your almighty figment.

We just have to know more than the desert nomads who wrote the Bible, and I think we can safely say that we DO know more than they do ... on just about every subject except for, perhaps, desert survival and other subjects related specifically to their climate and culture.

Quote:
You must be very intelligent in your own eyes.
This must be part of that "dumbing down" of America. Unfortunately, intelligence is not a welcomed trait in this country; one is expected to show only mediocre intelligence in most social settings otherwise you're being a rude know-it-all. The Republicans in Texas even wanted to stop teaching critical thinking skills because it might interfere with religious belief ... kids might actually become too smart for their own good and reject religion. Gotta keep them "humble" enough to believe that doubting the Bible or doubting the "Word" of God is intellectual arrogance. "Oh, so you think you're smarter than God, do you?!"

That keeps people from even asking the questions much less thinking about the answers.

Quote:
Anyone can be a skeptic and criticize the Bible-
Well ... no. In my opinion, it does take a certain level of intelligence, curiosity, open-mindedness, and courage to be a skeptic and criticize the Bible. Not everyone can do it.

Quote:
many people on here seem to have nothing better to do with their time.
I would argue that the people who read it for wisdom and guidance "have nothing better to do with their time" than those who read it as skeptics. It's still the same activity regardless of the motive.

Quote:
I can't imagine thinking I know more than God.
That's too bad ... because you do. God only knows what a bunch of barely literate Bronze Age desert tribesmen knew. You know a lot more than they do which means you know a lot more than God.

You just don't realize that God was invented by the Israelites to serve as their local tribal god. That's why the Hebrews were Yahweh's "Chosen" people. I never really understood how modern Christians seem to have no issues at all with their God picking an insignificant tribe in an insignificant corner of the world and declaring them "my Chosen people." Why would God do such a thing if God later wanted everyone to enter Heaven?

And notice too throughout the entire Old Testament how God never once ordered anyone to try and convert any other culture. Not the Egyptians, not the Canaanites, not those of Jericho, no one. You'd think that God would want to get going on the conversions right away so no one went to Hell, but that's not what happened. Why? Because God didn't care back then. He only cared about the Hebrews ... because Yahweh was a Hebrew god invented by the Hebrews. Yahweh wasn't about converting or saving souls or Heaven or Hell.

This is also the reason why Yahweh was only known where there were Hebrews. No where else. It took Hebrews to spread the existence of Yahweh because Yahweh didn't exist on his own. People had to tell the story of Yahweh ... and usually doing so meant the Israelites were telling some other tribe how much better their god was. "My god Yahweh is more powerful than your wimpy little god Vishnu!" Every tribe had their own gods.

Modern believers ignore this part of Yahweh's story and keep right on going ... not that it really matters. As I said, you already know more than god since god only knew what the ancient Hebrews knew. And you know more than they do. It's just too bad that you limit yourself so.

Quote:
God says that the man who is wise in his own eyes is a fool.
Well of course God would say that, now, wouldn't he. But of course it's not "God" saying that at all but the clergy of the Israelites who invented Yahweh in the first place.

"Do not doubt God's word" because we need to use God's word as a means to keep the tribe ordered, obedient, and free of rebellion and internal strife. The people may disobey or rebel against a mortal chieftain, but they will most likely always obey the word and will of their deity.

Quote:
I don't claim to understand His Word completely, but I also am not skeptical or cynical in my beliefs. My experience with Him is that He is completely trustworthy and I have no business questioning Him.
That's also too bad ... because a truly good and just being would and should expect and welcome questions. Blind and unquestioning obedience is the mark of evil and it always has been. Naturally, this kind of obedience is also dangerous as the story of Isaac and Abraham demonstrates all too well. There's just no telling what or how you might perceive "God's Word" from one day to the next and therein lies a mountain of potential nastiness.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Well said, Shirina and very true. Too bad I don't have another rep for you.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
If I were the religious type, what I'd be worshipping would be Shirina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality