Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:39 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I like their salads. They are pretty good. I'm on a low-carb diet and it hits the spot. Of course, I live in a pretty rural area, where the closest "fast food" place is Subway--about 30 miles away. We have to drive over an hour to find a Starbucks.

I've heard enough of the story from different sources to believe it's true.
I love low carb, very healthy. Starbucks is my road beverage. Cup of coffee, with three shots of espresso and a tiny drop of cream. My hair stands on end, but it works for a 15 hour drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 02:23 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Yup, atheists are about the place confusing people with FACTS as opposed to subjective religious faith and it is clearly bothering some people.
Oh you mean like:

The Bible is a book of myths and fiction. - FACT

God is a sky fairy - FACT

There is no life after death - FACT

Yeah umm, facts are proven. Those are not proven.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:34 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Yup. And I've observed that you can lead an atheist to evidence but you can't make him believe.

If you say so.

Just answer me one question: How did life begin? And don't make any assumptions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh you mean like:

It really is amusing to see Theist apologists perform

"And I've observed that you can lead an atheist to evidence but you can't make him believe
. "
Not when the evidence doesn't stack up and we are told that we ought to have Faith.

"just answer me one question: How did life begin? And don't make any assumptions "

Suppose we say "We don't know?" what then? It doesn't mean that Goddunnit is the only answer. What is the evidence for it? And don't say "The Bible".

"The Bible is a book of myths and fiction.
" The Fact is that it has failed to stand up as credible .

"God is a sky fairy -" Jeff, you are letting your annoyance with us boil over. The Fact s that there has been no very credible evidence presented for God's existence, and whether we call it a Sky Fairy or Cosmic mind is nothing to do with the argument.

"There is no life after death -" The Fact is that no really credible evidence has been presented for it, and NDE's are beginning to wilt as 'Evidence' under the scrutiny. And even f it was shown to be credible, it does not prove that it anything to do with Biblegod.

If you bods can't even put a coherent case, how can you expect to be taken seriously?
-

Old 06-23-2016, 02:38 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Do you have a better explanation?
Well, I could go with the this one from India written well before the bible was written:

" In the beginning there was absolutely nothing, and what existed was covered by death and hunger. He (Brahma) thought, "Let me have a self", and he created the mind. As he moved about in worship, water was generated. Froth formed on the water, and the froth eventually solidifed to become earth. He rested on the earth, and from his luminence came fire. After resting, he divided himself in three parts, and one is fire, one is the sun, and one is the air.

Thus in the beginning the world was only his self, his being or essence, which then took the shape of a person. At first he was afraid, but realizing that he was alone and had nothing of which to be afraid, his fear ceased. However, he had no happiness because he was alone, and he longed for another. He grew as large as two persons embracing, and he caused his self to split into two matching parts, like two halves of a split pea, and from them arose husband and wife. They mated, and from their union arose the human beings of the earth.

I think I like that one. Sounds really credible and a lot like the one from the bible so it must be true too.

Quote:
Let me know when you're going to. You haven't yet.
I know.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:41 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh you mean like:

The only one I MIGHT disagree with you on is the last one. I've never been dead and I don't know anyone living now who has been, so I cannot call it FACT yet. When I'm dead, I will let you know.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You heard? And you believed them? Where was your critical thinking then?

I would decline a Subway coupon. Not even to give away to another. If I will not eat it, I would never give it to another. Subway is pretty awful stuff.

Let me know if anyone is offering Starbucks.
I had to Google that. Apparently Ray Comfort had $25,000 in Subway cards he wanted to give to the atheists....tucked inside a copy of his book. Can we say "Promotional Giveaway" boys and girls?

Were I there I'd have given Comfort a map with a big red arrow showing where the poor live in D.C. and happily told him to take his $25,000.....and put it to good use.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I honestly haven't seen a lot of real, sound, critical thinking and logic from the atheists here, or elsewhere.
Critical Thinkers can see the obvious contradictions and errors in the New Testament, why can't you?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It really is amusing to see Theist apologists perform

"And I've observed that you can lead an atheist to evidence but you can't make him believe
. "
Not when the evidence doesn't stack up and we are told that we ought to have Faith.

"just answer me one question: How did life begin? And don't make any assumptions "

Suppose we say "We don't know?" what then? It doesn't mean that Goddunnit is the only answer. What is the evidence for it? And don't say "The Bible".
It's the only one that answers the question. But as I've pointed out before..you guys aren't really after the answers, are you?
Quote:

"The Bible is a book of myths and fiction.
" The Fact is that it has failed to stand up as credible .

"God is a sky fairy -" Jeff, you are letting your annoyance with us boil over. The Fact s that there has been no very credible evidence presented for God's existence, and whether we call it a Sky Fairy or Cosmic mind is nothing to do with the argument.

"There is no life after death -" The Fact is that no really credible evidence has been presented for it, and NDE's are beginning to wilt as 'Evidence' under the scrutiny. And even f it was shown to be credible, it does not prove that it anything to do with Biblegod.

If you bods can't even put a coherent case, how can you expect to be taken seriously?
-
If you want to have a serious discussion, calling our God a "sky fairy" really isn't helpful. That sort of thing makes a person look rude. It doesn't portray a nice picture of you. Is it possible to maybe just be nice and respectful?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I love low carb, very healthy. Starbucks is my road beverage. Cup of coffee, with three shots of espresso and a tiny drop of cream. My hair stands on end, but it works for a 15 hour drive.
I have 3-4 cups of coffee every morning with some artificial sweetener and some real cream, along with 3 hard-boiled eggs. It will usually tide me over till dinner. I sometimes split an avocado for lunch with my wife.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:50 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
If you want to have a serious discussion, calling our God a "sky fairy" really isn't helpful. That sort of thing makes a person look like a rude jerk. Is it possible to maybe just be nice and respectful?
What if someone says that Christianity is a noble lie, just like all other religions ever made? Is that also being rude?

Because that's about as nicely as an atheist can put it. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality