Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What if someone says that Christianity is a noble lie, just like all other religions ever made? Is that also being rude?

Because that's about as nicely as an atheist can put it.
That is acceptable. I get it -- you think it's a lie. But intentionally using mean-spirited language about our religion and misstating what we believe is just not nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I had to Google that. Apparently Ray Comfort had $25,000 in Subway cards he wanted to give to the atheists....tucked inside a copy of his book. Can we say "Promotional Giveaway" boys and girls?

Were I there I'd have given Comfort a map with a big red arrow showing where the poor live in D.C. and happily told him to take his $25,000.....and put it to good use.
I'm surprised that he wasn't giving away bananas, after all god made the banana perfectly for humans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yArPNtiQDcM

Old 06-23-2016, 03:14 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's the only one that answers the question. But as I've pointed out before..you guys aren't really after the answers, are you?
Answers is what we are after. You bods are not because you know all you need to, right? At the risk of projecting yet another blasted evolooshun thread, the only account of how Goddunnit is in Genesis. The evidence contradicts Genesis, so Genesis loses credibility as an explanation. The evidence however suggests that life evolved from very simple beginnings. So, logically, working back we get to the simplest you can get before you have lifeless biochemicals, and that (using what evidence we have) is the best explanation, especially as there are now plausible models, and the Creationist objections are either irrelevant (nobody was there to see it) or debunked (statistically it is impossible). As explanations go, it is not only the best going, but the only credible or feasible one going.

Quote:
If you want to have a serious discussion, calling our God a "sky fairy" really isn't helpful. That sort of thing makes a person look rude. It doesn't portray a nice picture of you. Is it possible to maybe just be nice and respectful?
I know. I looked at a you tube where a claim for animals could be on the Ark was commented on by a panel of atheists and frankly I was uncomfortable at the raucous mocking and would rather have seen a reasoned objection. I try to be nice and respectful if I can, but it isn't easy when, as you and Jeff did just now, you toss in in a number of polemic squibs that are really not very well thought out or have been answered many times before.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Answers is what we are after. You bods are not because you know all you need to, right?
What?
Quote:

At the risk of projecting yet another blasted evolooshun thread, the only account of how Goddunnit is in Genesis. The evidence contradicts Genesis, so Genesis loses credibility as an explanation. The evidence however suggests that life evolved from very simple beginnings. So, logically, working back we get to the simplest you can get before you have lifeless biochemicals, and that (using what evidence we have) is the best explanation, especially as there are now plausible models, and the Creationist objections are either irrelevant (nobody was there to see it) or debunked (statistically it is impossible). As explanations go, it is not only the best going, but the only credible or feasible one going.
Even if we toss out Genesis, the evidence still points to a Creator. If you have a better idea, let me know. the biochemicals and all that stuff simply has not been shown to provide any explanation. Science USUALLY teaches that life comes from life, so the basic assumption that you can get it from non-life goes directly against any type of scientific explanation.
Quote:

I know. I looked at a you tube where a claim for animals could be on the Ark was commented on by a panel of atheists and frankly I was uncomfortable at the raucous mocking and would rather have seen a reasoned objection. I try to be nice and respectful if I can, but it isn't easy when, as you and Jeff did just now, you toss in in a number of polemic squibs that are really not very well thought out or have been answered many times before.
I appreciate your sentiment there. I'm willing to try to have an intelligent conversation. I'm sorry if what I said offends you, and I will attempt to be nicer. I sometimes tend to react in the same manner I'm spoken to--and that is a failing of mine that I need to work on.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
I have 3-4 cups of coffee every morning with some artificial sweetener and some real cream, along with 3 hard-boiled eggs. It will usually tide me over till dinner. I sometimes split an avocado for lunch with my wife.
I'm a bit odd...I have a favourite breakfast (having cut the bacon because I have a bit too much girth already) of eggs, granary toast, beans and mushroom. Every day. Coffee and treating myself to ground Myanmar every three days, brown sugar and full milk. Eaten while looking at the roses in the garden, now at full bloom.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:19 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
That is acceptable. I get it -- you think it's a lie. But intentionally using mean-spirited language about our religion and misstating what we believe is just not nice.
I agree with you there. It's not right to intentionally misstate things or be mean-spirited.

I believe that religion is a lie, but one that gives its believers hope and purpose. If it makes people sleep better at night to believe in a God that cares about us, gives us eternal life and things like that, then I can see that as a positive. So, that's why I say it's a noble lie.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Do you have a better explanation?
That's not really an explanation. That's a lame ass unsubstantiated and evidenced claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm a bit odd...I have a favourite breakfast (having cut the bacon because I have a bit too much girth already) of eggs, granary toast, beans and mushroom. Every day. Coffee and treating myself to ground Myanmar every three days, brown sugar and full milk. Eaten while looking at the roses in the garden, now at full bloom.
I'm actually down almost pounds in the last 4 months. I've still got about 100 to go to reach my goal. I was a really large guy and I am striving to fix that. That would put me at about what I graduated high school at. Should be doable, because I have a lot less muscle mass now (I used to bench press 350).

What is Myanmar? Is that a porridge of some type?

1,504 posts, read 851,239 times
I am slightly baffled by Muslims who think Christians are the enemy. Christ is clearly mentioned and respected in the Koran. If Mohamed respected Christ...then Muslims should also. The reality is that Islam is a corporate religious body...Christianity was never meant to become an institution or religion...It was just a higher mindedness- the embracing of truth that is commonly called REALITY. Atheists exist because religion poison the idea of GOD.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:23 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh you mean like:

The Bible is a book of myths and fiction. - FACT

God is a sky fairy - FACT

There is no life after death - FACT

Yeah umm, facts are proven. Those are not proven.
Well then, 'God exists' is not a fact - according to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality