Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,642,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
An ongoing survey on the BBC site shows that 86% of those surveyed agreed, religion causes more wars or strife and less peace.

Many of us atheists are thinking, "You mean there are people who think otherwise?".

BBC iWonder - Would the world be more peaceful without religion?

We are in the 21st century, and still there are many who believe fables from 2100 years ago. Crazy, but that is the way it is.
It is difficult to rely on that poll because we do not know who are the voters.

My assessment of reality is this;

1. Currently a range of E factors facilitate Y degrees [taking this state as 100%] of wars and sufferings.
2. To reduce wars and sufferings to enable greater peace, we need to reduce all the E factors.
3. Within this E factors, one factor is the religious factor.
4. Within the religious factor, currently Islam is the worst contributor to evils and violence.
5. The contribution of evil by Islam is critical, i.e. amongst the 5 main religions Islam contribute to 90% of the existing evils and violence while the 4 religions [80%] contribute only 10% of the evils and violence.

Proof and Evidence as below: [28;714]

Islam is the only main religion that has evil laden verses that directly influence and inspire SOME [not all[ Muslims who are naturally born [not their fault] with evil tendencies to commit terrible evils and violence around the world.

Therefore if there is no more Islam [just one religion] then there will be 90% less potential violence from the religious factors. Getting rid of the other religions has an insignificant impact.

So the OP is true, the world will be more peaceful without religions and in priority without Islam.

Obviously we have to tackle all other factors [secular evils, violence, wars, crimes, immorality, etc.] that contribute to evils and violence around the world, but those are off topic at present.

Last edited by Continuum; 06-30-2016 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:41 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Didn't religion start hospitals, universities and charities?
Only as bait for the suckers.

Theists are making a pont here - Religion is not in itself to blame for all this, no more than atheism is to blame for Stalin or Pol Pot - that was a political dogma near religious in its intolerance.

But we helbound pondscum have a point, too. Religion should be denouncing this and not leaving it to us, as it is atheist polemics' best weapon. Saying it is 'someone else' or 'Look on the positive side' doesn't wash now (if it ever did) and just makes them look crafty and dishonest, which as we know, they are not.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:03 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
I've never attributed wars to religion. I think their are far too many complexities to war to simply peg the blame on one thing. Even WWI, which was largely just the egos of elites, can't simply be blamed on "rich people."

However, religion is often used to rally unjust support for wars. Look at ISIS. While we could argue back and forth on if the Koran is good or evil (I don't think it matters, personally), no one can argue, even the most aggressive of Muslim apologists, that there are things in the Koran that are beyond disgusting, no different than the Bible. Groups like ISIS capitalize on the idea that if a single part of the Koran isn't true, then the whole thing must be wrong, and to believe that makes you a sinner, so go bomb that school bus. Same logic used to get people to deny evolution (and I call it logic as that's just an easy word to understand; nothing about it is logical).

But I don't think that getting rid of religion would cause fewer wars. If religion were less dogmatic, there would be one less thing to get people to agree to ****ty wars.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:41 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I've never attributed wars to religion. I think their are far too many complexities to war to simply peg the blame on one thing. Even WWI, which was largely just the egos of elites, can't simply be blamed on "rich people."

However, religion is often used to rally unjust support for wars. Look at ISIS. While we could argue back and forth on if the Koran is good or evil (I don't think it matters, personally), no one can argue, even the most aggressive of Muslim apologists, that there are things in the Koran that are beyond disgusting, no different than the Bible. Groups like ISIS capitalize on the idea that if a single part of the Koran isn't true, then the whole thing must be wrong, and to believe that makes you a sinner, so go bomb that school bus. Same logic used to get people to deny evolution (and I call it logic as that's just an easy word to understand; nothing about it is logical).

But I don't think that getting rid of religion would cause fewer wars. If religion were less dogmatic, there would be one less thing to get people to agree to ****ty wars.
Yes. Yes. If we got rid of religion entirely, it wouldn't get rid of war. We'd find something to fight about. But Religion helps by enabling us to fight about nothing.

It is part of the Maturity curve atheism needs, to understand that getting rid of religion might indeed help to eliminate a couple of pointless conflicts, but would not alter the basic warlike instinct of humans. We have to move on from there, and understanding the evolved instinct that drives us to do it might help a bit. It might help a lot.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:56 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Only as bait for the suckers.

Theists are making a pont here - Religion is not in itself to blame for all this, no more than atheism is to blame for Stalin or Pol Pot - that was a political dogma near religious in its intolerance.

But we helbound pondscum have a point, too. Religion should be denouncing this and not leaving it to us, as it is atheist polemics' best weapon. Saying it is 'someone else' or 'Look on the positive side' doesn't wash now (if it ever did) and just makes them look crafty and dishonest, which as we know, they are not.
Religion does much good, but it's not newsworthy. While Westboro BC is yelling, "God hates ****!", millions of Christians are sharing redemption in Christ, feeding and clothing the poor, and building hospitals.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

With of without religion, war would still exist, but it would be much reduced. The whole Middle East situation is about religion, Muslim against Jew, Muslim against Muslim, Christian against Muslim and the whole thing is a cluster situation. Get rid of the religion, and some animosity may still well exist, but rather than inspiring disaffected youth from other countries to participate, it will be power struggles alone.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Religion does much good, but it's not newsworthy. While Westboro BC is yelling, "God hates ****!", millions of Christians are sharing redemption in Christ, feeding and clothing the poor, and building hospitals.
What does "redemption in christ" have to do with any goodness? There have been more Christian terror attacks ending in death in the USA since 9/11 than Muslim. Most churches gave up long ago to have a primary focus the physical well being of others as their main focus. I give the Sally Ann a pass on that condemnation, as they, even though they proselytize, actually provide for those in need.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
What does "redemption in christ" have to do with any goodness? There have been more Christian terror attacks ending in death in the USA since 9/11 than Muslim. Most churches gave up long ago to have a primary focus the physical well being of others as their main focus. I give the Sally Ann a pass on that condemnation, as they, even though they proselytize, actually provide for those in need.
Helping people with addictions, marriage problems, money problems, etc. God is in the redeeming business. We share that with people.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Helping people with addictions, marriage problems, money problems, etc. God is in the redeeming business. We share that with people.
SOME churches do that, but more and more, they have turned inwards. I'm not sure I want a Catholic priest telling me how to conduct my marriage, WTH does he know? There are professionals out there which have a much better success ratio.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
SOME churches do that, but more and more, they have turned inwards. I'm not sure I want a Catholic priest telling me how to conduct my marriage, WTH does he know? There are professionals out there which have a much better success ratio.
Every church I've been a part of does. That's the primary message of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality