Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM

611 posts, read 280,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
BBC Religion & Ethics - Why are there seven days in a week?

It was associated with the seven heavenly bodies; the Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. For this reason, some believe, marking rituals every seventh-day became important. A seven-day week based on these same celestial bodies was adopted as far away as Japan and ancient China.
Also, same information but expanded here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Week

Does that change your perception? Are you willing to accept real history? Go beyond a confirmation bias of your own?

Nice try. Evolution clearly shows us the path of development of a heart. There was no "thinking" involved.

The heart is critical to one's life. But that doesn't mean it thinks. Your examples are figures of speech.

Yes, your dictionary is using figures of speech, and the word salad of your two parallel lines, I have no idea what you mean. Parallel lines by definition do not cross.

Sorry you feel that you need an imaginary friend to make your life worthwhile. Some of us will just live the best lives we can during the years we are alive, and then happily become worm food to nutritious some other organism. It is the best way we can give back for all what we have taken from this earth.

Meh, you keep beliven' in your god. The rest of us are happy that you find solace in your imaginary friend. We will live the real life that exists.
I give you a version of seven days a week that is thousands of years old, "That it is probably from the ancient Babylonians that we get the seven-day week." --your history writer doesn't know where the idea really come from. They couldn't find those clay tablets? And Moses did not invent seven days a week according to my version of history...and how far are we along in civilization before your version of history puts us before any recorded history at all? Before the Sumerians [Isn't that the first oldest peoples we know of?], cavemen days...yet we had seven days a week that came from some inspiration, somewhere...reaffirmed in Genesis, older than Genesis and as your history writer say's: "But while the movement of Earth and Sun give us natural concepts like days and years and the Moon's phases give us the month, there is no such natural reason for a seven-day week," --and all the associations you give me for the reason we have seven days a week comes from the Roman era, millenniums after the fact?

All reasons and associations you have for the reason we have seven days a week came along how long after some Babylonians "Probably"? Let me quick check your other link...Oh, millenniums after some "Probably," --yet definitely runs straight back to the beginning of "Time" in my version of the "History Story."

Your history version has no idea where seven days a week came from.

Every reason and association you give was made up thousands of years after Genesis.
I think your history version you presented as FACT and TRUE falls flat upon its own face and wallows in a mass of probables and vain attempts made up long after the fact to justify the reason it was done. And you expect me to accept your probably and weak and vain associations as "Real History"? Sorry, can't do that. The truth is that there is only one claim existing for the reason we have seven days a week. No other claims found anywhere.

And O your religion of evolution. No thought behind anything. Quite a mindless concept. No purpose for anything. Did you flip a coin to decide that? "What is the purpose of the universe?" --mindlessness says, no purpose at all for the universe. But I ask my imaginary friend because I don't know, and he inspires me: "The purpose of the universe it that you can exist. And that you might could exist forever." And furthermore "Purpose" is a product of a mind somewhere. It takes a mind to give purpose to anything. There is no purpose in mindless activity. And your mindless religion can find no purpose for anything not man-made? You have no imagination. You are it, Mr. Bigshot. Just another black spot in front of the sun upon the earth. No reason for the sun to shine today. That would require some thought.

When did Figure of Speech become not acceptable? Then every time someone tells me the sun has risen I should accuse them of thinking that the sun still revolves around the earth? And correct them that the earth just turned to face the sun? If you are going to study the scriptures, figure of speech means everything.

Someone told me that two parallel lines heading throughout the universe would cross...and I'm not sure what that means. But I don't think the universe has any straight lines. If you think you have a straight line, put it under magnification. That line is not so straight. Straighten it out under magnification to get it straight. Then put it under a higher magnification. Straight enough seems to be about as good as it gets.

We are the universe looking back at itself. Everything you see and everything you cannot see is where you came from and where you will return to and we are just as much a piece of the universe as any planet, star, rock, tree or anything else is. And when we die the flesh goes back into the cycling always changing from one form into another, never staying the same.

I think we were just as dead 100 years ago as we will be 100 years from now, and that we only return to that same place which we came from. Eternity is a long time, how long can death last?

So...Mindlessness, no imagination and you are the mighty mind unable to grasp any meaning or purpose of it all? And you don't even have access to all of your mental activity, mindlessness is behind everything? Put all your ingredients into a box and randomly shake them around enough until one day it all mindlessly comes together again and out pops you whether you like it or not and unable to remember who you are or why you came? That just might work. It happened once didn't it? Odds are if it happened once it could happen again.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM

611 posts, read 280,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
What does it matter? If someone had settled on 6 or 8 or 10 days in a week would you be asking the same question? There was every impetus for the entire planet to be on the same calendar and to pick the one that had the most adoption and therefore the least pain and suffering for the fewest people to have to convert from other calendar systems. For all you know, god invented one of the non-Gregorian calendars and we have abandoned his system.

In any case ... what do you think inspired men to use the decimal numbering system rather than octal? Huh? Coincidence? I think not! What do you think inspired men to adopt the Western musical scale, and do you deny that serialism is the work of the devil and a misuse of that scale? Why do most people eat three meals a day instead of four? Why does everyone default to sleeping at night instead of during the day? What inspired men to put the red light at the top of traffic lights? Such amazing complexity and uniformity can't just have evolved!

I pray that you will acknowledge the truth one day -- that the Flying Spaghetti Monster decreed all these things to be so!
And evidently, you don't know any more than I do.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:49 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
What do you think inspired men to use 7 days a week? Where did that idea come from? What do you think "Inspired" us to do that? Why does the whole world now keep 7 days a week, religion or no religion? Something must have inspired that.
Our reality is vibrational and we know from music that there are seven notes in each octave based on tonal frequency. That would seem to be as basic as it gets. Just saying

Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
..... I encountered a consciousness that was all-encompassing and eliminated my atheism instantly. I have described it many times but words are inadequate. I spent the next 40+ years studying and learning to try to explain it to my intellect....
Did you experience it again? How often? How recently? Or was it just the one time 40 years ago?

Old 08-16-2016, 04:24 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Hypnogogia.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:43 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Our reality is vibrational and we know from music that there are seven notes in each octave based on tonal frequency. That would seem to be as basic as it gets. Just saying
Just don't play th brown note.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
There are 12 tones in an octave, in western music. The well tempered tonality is a western invention that is quite different from the tonality used in ancient African and Asian civilizations (and probably others).

Old 08-16-2016, 07:49 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
What do you think inspired men to use 7 days a week? Where did that idea come from? What do you think "Inspired" us to do that? Why does the whole world now keep 7 days a week, religion or no religion? Something must have inspired that.

... nipped ... for space
"patterns." that's one of the things brains evolved in. Its so simple I just don't understand how some don't understand.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are 12 tones in an octave, in western music. The well tempered tonality is a western invention that is quite different from the tonality used in ancient African and Asian civilizations (and probably others).
Precisely. It is ultimately an arbitrary division, and even the precise relation and tuning of the notes have many different schemes or temperaments that represent different trade-offs and compromises. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier was in fact an exploration of the (then-new) temperament scheme that is in general use today.

Part of the "sound" of the Hammond Organ, invented in the 1930s, is derisively referred to as "Hamburger Temperament" which is a uniform frequency division imposed by the instrument's mechanical "tone wheel" tone generators.

Beyond that there is the whole question of what the whole scheme is anchored to. The general tuning standard today (in the US and the UK, not necessarily in Europe) is that A above middle C is 440 hz, It has ranged from 415 to 444 hz in recent centuries in the West.

Much of the lush richness of orchestral music is caused by instruments being slightly out of tune with each other; its' impossible for them to remain perfectly in tune, which is why everyone touches up their tuning at the start of each performance and after intermission. Orchestral pipe organs simulate this with extra "celeste" ranks that are a few cycles out of tune with the "unison" pipes. And so even the standards aren't 100% ironclad.

Which is all another illustration that you need to be careful when proclaiming that you've found a pattern. Or that you've found certainty. Reality is quite a bit more malleable than we want to think.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:04 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You missed the smiley, but now that you mention it that could explain the 12 tribes, 12 zodiac signs, woohoo!! I am beginning to get this symbolic stuff. I can see the true extent of the vibrational impact on our cognitive speculations and memes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality