Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:46 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...p-cars-removed

And good for them. There is no reason for Police vehicles to display any religious symbols. I suspect the fundies on this board would be in an uproar if those signs said, "Allah Ahkbar".
HaHaHa. Congress votes, and the POTUS signs into effect a law that declares "The Bible--The Word Of God" and states "our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures". And that Law is STILL "on the books"!
Presidential inaugurations are basically full-on Religious ceremonies. Just watch Obamas inaugurations...with giant "Family Bibles" and prayers on top of prayers. Wow!
But the FFRF goes after sayings on police cruisers, Jesus pictures in grade schools, and creches in public parks.
Cuz they don't have the guts to go after the "Alphas" that are causing the bigtime infusion of Religion into Government.
They know, that about the time they takes shots at those "Alphas", they will probably suffer, and suffer a lot.
Plus...Bullys typically come down on those they determine to be weaker than them...due to cowardice and reluctance put it on the line in no uncertain terms.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
HaHaHa. Congress votes, and the POTUS signs into effect a law that declares "The Bible--The Word Of God" and states "our national need to study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures". And that Law is STILL "on the books"!
Presidential inaugurations are basically full-on Religious ceremonies. Just watch Obamas inaugurations...with giant "Family Bibles" and prayers on top of prayers. Wow!
But the FFRF goes after sayings on police cruisers, Jesus pictures in grade schools, and creches in public parks.
Cuz they don't have the guts to go after the "Alphas" that are causing the bigtime infusion of Religion into Government.
They know, that about the time they takes shots at those "Alphas", they will probably suffer, and suffer a lot.
Plus...Bullys typically come down on those they determine to be weaker than them...due to cowardice and reluctance put it on the line in no uncertain terms.
Goldie, your rants are becoming more and more unstable. Do you need a referable to a reputable practitioner?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Goldie, your rants are becoming more and more unstable. Do you need a referable to a reputable practitioner?
No rebuttal other than dumbstuff insults, huh?
YOU are the King Ranter on this board! How many HUNDREDS of Religion & Belief bashing threads have you created? Sometimes several per day. Waaaaaaay more than anybody else I've ever seen on this board. So, who is "unstable" here? Many have noticed it...and have commented on how you are.
I've never started a thread in the over 6 years I've been on this board...not a single one.
If it is "ranting" that would determine the need for professional help...YOU would be the #1 candidate in the history of this board.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I did note that his signal was breaking up, Gldnrule, you know that if a law has been passed, there;s not a lot we can do about it other than get enough clout to elect representatives...I mean you can, I wouldn't trust our lot to elect a toilet cleaner.... who would repeal those laws.

However, the ones we do have have been very effective is stopping the insidious efforts to make fundamentalist Christianity the Theocracy of the USA.

Time and again these tactics have been stopped dead, and the Big One was at Dover. I thought they had got away with it with the slogan on police cars. I thought that, this near an election, sacking police chiefs for being Christians would not look good. They wouldn't dare.

It seems the US is an even greater country than I thought. No wonder Gldrule is getting rattled.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
No rebuttal other than dumbstuff insults, huh?
YOU are the King Ranter on this board! How many HUNDREDS of Religion & Belief bashing threads have you created? Sometimes several per day. Waaaaaaay more than anybody else I've ever seen on this board. So, who is "unstable" here? Many have noticed it...and have commented on how you are.
I've never started a thread in the over 6 years I've been on this board...not a single one.
If it is "ranting" that would determine the need for professional help...YOU would be the #1 candidate in the history of this board.
I too find your posts ranty and nonsensical. Also, you continue to trot out a resolution and insist it is the law of the land; it is not.

I'm not sure why not having started a single thread is an accomplishment? But if you need a gold star for that, here you go:

Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I did note that his signal was breaking up, Gldnrule, you know that if a law has been passed, there;s not a lot we can do about it other than get enough clout to elect representatives...I mean you can, I wouldn't trust our lot to elect a toilet cleaner.... who would repeal those laws.

However, the ones we do have have been very effective is stopping the insidious efforts to make fundamentalist Christianity the Theocracy of the USA.

Time and again these tactics have been stopped dead, and the Big One was at Dover. I thought they had got away with it with the slogan on police cars. I thought that, this near an election, sacking police chiefs for being Christians would not look good. They wouldn't dare.

It seems the US is an even greater country than I thought. No wonder Gldrule is getting rattled.
I'm not "rattled" at all.
I would prefer Organized Religion didn’t exist at all...let alone taint the government.
You claim to have me "figured out". But from what I see...you don't have any idea what my views are on this. My tolerance for the Beliefs of others that I don’t agree with, notwithstanding
I would like to see the FFRF set aside the "bully" cases...and go after the main problems and at least shed light on them.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I too find your posts ranty and nonsensical. Also, you continue to trot out a resolution and insist it is the law of the land; it is not.

I'm not sure why not having started a single thread is an accomplishment? But if you need a gold star for that, here you go:
Thanx...I do all I can.
BTW, you need to educate yourself....Public Law 97-280 is as much a law as any other:
Law 97-280
Introduced as Senate Joint Resolution 165, with thirty-three co-sponsors, and as House Joint Resolution 487 with 219 co-sponsors, a request was delivered before Congress to honor the Bible as Holy Scripture. The resolution suffered no amendments, no exclusions, no demands that it be stricken of religious references. It became law.

The 97th Congress of the United States publicly declared 1983 the national "Year of the Bible". The bipartisan document known as Public Law 97-280, was signed on October 4, 1982 by Speaker of the House Thomas P. O'Neill, President of the Senate - Pro Tempore Strom Thurmond, and President of the United States Ronald Reagan. It reads as follows:

PUBLIC LAW 97-280 OCT. 4, 1982

Public Law 97-280 ~ 96 STAT. 1211 ~ 97th Congress

The "resolution" aspect of it was how it was submitted for consideration. Whether a "Joint Resolution" or a "Bill", if passed in a vote by Congress and signed by the POTUS, it becomes Law.

That I or others don't like it does not change what it, in fact, is.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Thanx...I do all I can.
BTW, you need to educate yourself....Public Law 97-280 is as much a law as any other:
Law 97-280
Introduced as Senate Joint Resolution 165, with thirty-three co-sponsors, and as House Joint Resolution 487 with 219 co-sponsors, a request was delivered before Congress to honor the Bible as Holy Scripture. The resolution suffered no amendments, no exclusions, no demands that it be stricken of religious references. It became law.

The 97th Congress of the United States publicly declared 1983 the national "Year of the Bible". The bipartisan document known as Public Law 97-280, was signed on October 4, 1982 by Speaker of the House Thomas P. O'Neill, President of the Senate - Pro Tempore Strom Thurmond, and President of the United States Ronald Reagan. It reads as follows:

PUBLIC LAW 97-280 OCT. 4, 1982

Public Law 97-280 ~ 96 STAT. 1211 ~ 97th Congress

The "resolution" aspect of it was how it was submitted for consideration. Whether a "Joint Resolution" or a "Bill", if passed in a vote by Congress and signed by the POTUS, it becomes Law.

That I or others don't like it does not change what it, in fact, is.
And...what? Does this resolution to "honor" the Bible as Holy Scripture negate the 1st Amendment?

But I will agree with you that it is outrageous. It is obviously unconstitutional.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Perhaps you can explain what this law requires that people do, or refrain from doing, what activity the government is doing as a result of this law, what federal department is charged with enforcement, what funds that government activity, and what penalties are imposed for failure to comply with this "law."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality