Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It was never repealed, in any way. That Law...and all it said...is still on the books. You've already read what it said.
What with how you tout it...so as to avoid hypocrisy, you should obey The Law and "study and apply the teachings of the Holy Scriptures".
Also...it is now The Law of The Land that "The Bible is the Word of God"...and, thus, Biblegod MUST necessarily exist.
Quit breaking the Law and claiming otherwise about these things.
The LAWWWWWWW said sooooooo!! Learn it--Love it--Live it!...since you always cite "The Law" and claim it to be all that.
Your law was proclaimed. 1983 is long gone and over. Time to move on you old boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
The Law is the law, for sure. But a law that had been passed to say the earth was flat would be a bad law that needed to be repealed. You can't make a god or Holy Book true or not by passing laws about it. You can only legislate about what people can do or not legally.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:51 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,655,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Law is the law, for sure. But a law that had been passed to say the earth was flat would be a bad law that needed to be repealed. You can't make a god or Holy Book true or not by passing laws about it. You can only legislate about what people can do or not legally.
One thing it DOES make true, for sure...we have had a bunch of chumps running this Country. At least as regards Separation of Religion and Government.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The ironic thing is to a non-Christian, Romans 13:4 should just be meaningless words. A person actually has to go look up the chapter and verse in the Bible to found out the message.

Even then, I don't see this as any violation of the Establishment Clause. A decal that said Christianity is the official religion of the Harper police dept. If I ever need services of a police officer, fireman or EMS, the last thought I am going to have is gee, I hope that person is a Christian. The only concern should be that they have proper training and provide appropriate care and assistance to the needed situation. You know, doing their job.
So, what happens if I'm out there and I see that logo? Can I trust the cop to do his job properly if I'm in need? Would I have to hide my religion?

If I call 911 in Harper, and the responding officer catches a glance of my pentacle, can I be certain that he won't act on a religious bias and put my life at risk? If (may it never happen) I have to go before the courts, can I trust that officer to relate the facts honestly, or will he squirrel around the truth because I'm not Christian?

When my safety and freedom are in the hands of a man who has the power to lock me up on a trumped-up charge if he decides he doesn't like me, I want to be reasonably sure that I'm still 'innocent until proven guilty'.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:38 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...p-cars-removed

And good for them. There is no reason for Police vehicles to display any religious symbols. I suspect the fundies on this board would be in an uproar if those signs said, "Allah Ahkbar".
This is old news...

Old 07-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...p-cars-removed

And good for them. There is no reason for Police vehicles to display any religious symbols. I suspect the fundies on this board would be in an uproar if those signs said, "Allah Ahkbar".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is old news...
Really? How old, oh wise one with the pithy short commentary?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:43 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
So, what happens if I'm out there and I see that logo? Can I trust the cop to do his job properly if I'm in need? Would I have to hide my religion?

If I call 911 in Harper, and the responding officer catches a glance of my pentacle, can I be certain that he won't act on a religious bias and put my life at risk? If (may it never happen) I have to go before the courts, can I trust that officer to relate the facts honestly, or will he squirrel around the truth because I'm not Christian?

When my safety and freedom are in the hands of a man who has the power to lock me up on a trumped-up charge if he decides he doesn't like me, I want to be reasonably sure that I'm still 'innocent until proven guilty'.
Officers have procedures and rules that they have to obey. There is no room to allow for personal bias. If he arrests you on a trump up charge then you have the power of attorney to fight it.

The net effect is the same, decal or not. If you think the officer is going to treat you differently because you are a non-Christian then you would be facing that same situation anyways.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Officers have procedures and rules that they have to obey. There is no room to allow for personal bias. If he arrests you on a trump up charge then you have the power of attorney to fight it.

The net effect is the same, decal or not. If you think the officer is going to treat you differently because you are a non-Christian then you would be facing that same situation anyways.

Or kills you even though you are following his exact orders. Especially if your black, like Philando Castille. A good guy with a gun gets killed by a bad guy with a gun, the one wearing a uniform.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
If the decal has no affect on either the police officer or anyone they stop, what is the rationale for having the decal on a police car in the first place? Would the Star of David, the Darwinian fish or the Rainbow flag also be appropriate? On the other hand putting up a symbol for a special occasion such as a Pope's visit, the Olympics or a bicentennial seems appropriate.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:52 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:

So, let me extend my question: why should I be 'comfortable' with a decal that suggests that a police officer -- someone with whom I trust my day-to-day safety and security -- might suddenly abandon me when he finds out I'm a witch?

Why should I have to 'hope' that I find a police officer that won't do a half-a**ed investigation just to spite me for not following his religion?

Jeff, you need to understand a few things: rules and procedures only work if we choose to obey them. Given the right incentive, any member of the human race will throw his fellows under the metaphorical bus if they think they can benefit in some way. It's cynical, but it's also human nature.

Saying 'there's no room for personal bias' doesn't guarantee that a person's behavior will be ethical or moral. Robert Dziekański died on an airport floor at the hands of four RCMP officers, who then purjured themselves to cover their own a**es in a desperate bid to escape punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality