Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 08:24 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This is old news...
So is Stalin, but we still get it chucked at us, occasionally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
One thing it DOES make true, for sure...we have had a bunch of chumps running this Country. At least as regards Separation of Religion and Government.
I'm almost inclined to agree with you. But politics is not about getting at the facts; it is about winning. And education does not teach the critical skills needed to see through the rhetoric they use to get their own way if they can.

By the way, what is separation of religion and Government? Separation of Chuch and State I know about, but I never heard of that one. Is it something you invented?

You see, old chum, I have developed a few critical thinking skills, and it is rather easy to see though your ploys and misdirections.

p.s or at least when one has seen it. I have to admit that interpreting this Separation as meaning that the State had no business to interfere in the administrations of various states doing whatever they liked ...to have their government officially endorsing, promoting and pushing a particular religion..was a rather clever one.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-08-2016 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 09:12 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Should the Atheists refuse to get paid because the currency has a religious term, "In God we trust"?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:31 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Should the Atheists refuse to get paid because the currency has a religious term, "In God we trust"?
Why, don't atheists get direct deposit like the rest of us?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:35 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bow and scrape before you and your wisdom, o' Mighty Queen!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:52 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The ironic thing is to a non-Christian, Romans 13:4 should just be meaningless words. A person actually has to go look up the chapter and verse in the Bible to found out the message.

Even then, I don't see this as any violation of the Establishment Clause. A decal that said Christianity is the official religion of the Harper police dept. If I ever need services of a police officer, fireman or EMS, the last thought I am going to have is gee, I hope that person is a Christian. The only concern should be that they have proper training and provide appropriate care and assistance to the needed situation. You know, doing their job.
Of course YOU wouldn't, jeff It's so ironic that the police department would paste a Bible reference on their cop cars. When people are having a life threatening emergency, they don't pray the emergency away; they dial 911, depending on help from HUMANS. As an aside, I met and worked closely with Annie when I was involved in an FFRF case with her. She is a physically tiny woman, rather reserved, and acts meek and defenseless, but her wallflower appearance is only a facade. She is a tiger in the courtroom and rarely loses a case. I admire her greatly.

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 07-09-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 10:37 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm almost inclined to agree with you. But politics is not about getting at the facts; it is about winning. And education does not teach the critical skills needed to see through the rhetoric they use to get their own way if they can.

By the way, what is separation of religion and Government? Separation of Chuch and State I know about, but I never heard of that one. Is it something you invented?

You see, old chum, I have developed a few critical thinking skills, and it is rather easy to see though your ploys and misdirections.

p.s or at least when one has seen it. I have to admit that interpreting this Separation as meaning that the State had no business to interfere in the administrations of various states doing whatever they liked ...to have their government officially endorsing, promoting and pushing a particular religion..was a rather clever one.
My "Separation" statement of "Religion and Government" comes from the wording in the Constitution: In the 1st Amendments' Establishment/Free Exercise clause the term "Religion" (not "church") is used, and "Congress" equates to "Government" much better than "State", IMO.
So, yeah...I guess it is my "invention".
That "Separation of Church and State" was years after the Constitution was written...and just part of a letter Jefferson was writing to the Danbury Baptists. He attended Religious services held in the Capitol days later. No greater hypocrite has the world ever known.
As you know...I can't stand Jefferson (slavemaster, gender oppressing, genocidal, barbarian...while touting "All are equal") and rate him lower than Hitler and Genghis Kahn (at least Hitler and Kahn layed their cards on the table).
So there is a "Jeffertosis" factor to my changing it as well.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Being a mere Limey (and potential Ex European )...
Same here old thing.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I bow and scrape before you and your wisdom, o' Mighty Queen!

So do I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good one. Pay for everything with card on the grounds that religious scruples prevent you from handling dollars. If the shopkeeper refuses to accept the card and insists on bulls, sue him for infringement of your religious freedom.

How you like that one, Cardinals?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Same here old thing.
What? Spexit??? My Peru mate came up with the headline of headlines..if the Mods let it pass... "Britain Fuxit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Of course YOU wouldn't, jeff It's so ironic that the police department would paste a Bible reference on their cop cars. When people are having a life threatening emergency, they don't pray the emergency away; they dial 911, depending on help from HUMANS. As an aside, I met and worked closely with Annie when I was involved in an FFRF case with her. She is a physically tiny woman, rather reserved, and acts meek and defenseless, but her wallflower appearance is only a facade. She is a tiger in the courtroom and rarely loses a case. I admire her greatly.
She sounds fantastic. I mean "Great" not "imaginary".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-11-2016 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality