Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Judge: HB 1523 violates religious neutrality, equal protection

Why do these clearly illegal bills crop up in the South? Mississippi's law that would make discrimination against gays legal in that State was struck down. As it should be. It only enhances a "yokel" stereotype, one that apparently many, particularly in the South, wear proudly.

The full judgment can be read at the bottom of the above link. An excerpt from the judgment of the statement by the State Attorney-General, who well understood the illegality of the Bill:
“I can't pick my clients, but I can speak for myself as a named defendant in this lawsuit. The fact is that the churchgoing public was duped into believing that HB1523 protected religious freedoms. Our state leaders attempted to mislead pastors into believing that if this bill were not passed, they would have to preside over gay wedding ceremonies. No court case has ever said a pastor did not have discretion to refuse to marry any couple for any reason. I hate to see politicians continue to prey on people who pray, go to church, follow the law and help their fellow man."
The Governor was at odds with his AG.

When will christians finally understand that their freedom of religion ends when it impacts other's rights. How many times do they have to be taken to court before they will understand this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 09:54 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,142,203 times
Based on what I just witnessed from Orlando, the more important question is when will radical Islamists understand it.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
It isn't 'the south'. The bill is clearly unconstitutional. But don't demonize 'the south' as if it's backwaters to other parts of the country. Each state is its own entity.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:02 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It isn't 'the south'. The bill is clearly unconstitutional. But don't demonize 'the south' as if it's backwaters to other parts of the country. Each state is its own entity.
I spend half my time in the South. Depending on where you go, (Northern Florida, Georgia, parts of Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi for sure) yes, the backwater applies, and people living there are proud of it. The Carolinas, especially North Carolina are rapidly changing, as are parts of Alabama. Can't speak for Kentucky, but I have my suspicions they would be part of that perspective, especially seeing that the Kim Davis's have an audience there.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:08 AM

Backwater bigotry also applies to the Northeast, as much, if not moreso. Trump isnt from Mississippi, thats for sure...and yes, people from the North are proud of him.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
A similar bill was narrowly defeated in West Virginia during the 2016 legislative session. The new majority in the legislature sure tried hard to join Mississippi in legalizing discrimination though.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Dont forget, California also struck down gay marriage when put to the popular vote. Backwater indeed.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I spend half my time in the South. Depending on where you go, (Northern Florida, Georgia, parts of Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi for sure) yes, the backwater applies, and people living there are proud of it. The Carolinas, especially North Carolina are rapidly changing, as are parts of Alabama. Can't speak for Kentucky, but I have my suspicions they would be part of that perspective, especially seeing that the Kim Davis's have an audience there.
Louisville has 1/3 of the ky population. Very progressive city.

Asheville is the 'gay capital' of the south.

Your personal experience is just that. There are very conservative parts of the south and very progressive.

Ky isn't 'south'. It's an intermediary, like Maryland

Old 07-02-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
And... Kim Davis went to jail for her beliefs. Contempt.

This state may be 'backward', and I'm not a native. But I am sick of the stereotyping.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Judge: HB 1523 violates religious neutrality, equal protection

Why do these clearly illegal bills crop up in the South? Mississippi's law that would make discrimination against gays legal in that State was struck down. As it should be. It only enhances a "yokel" stereotype, one that apparently many, particularly in the South, wear proudly.
Well, that is the one part of the country that only joins the rest of the country kicking and screaming, and then usually decades after the rest of us have moved on.

Examples abound:

*It was the last part of the country to let go of slavery (and it seceded and fought a war in a vain attempt to head off abolition even then).
*It was the last part of the country to let go of interracial marriage bans (and then only under court orders).
*While states in all other parts of the country were establishing same-sex marriage by referendum (Maine), legislation (New Hampshire, Vermont, Minnesota, New York, Illinois, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Delaware), a combination of the two (Maryland, Washington), or even by state courts (Massachusetts, Iowa, New Jersey), only the intervention of federal courts brought the South (unwillingly)into the 21st century.
*It's the hotbed of anti-science nonsense, such as creationism.

You did/will find examples of those things around the country. But it is in the South where they predominate and are embraced. As a whole, it consistently digs in its heels and obstinately clings to ideas and practices that have been amply demonstrated to be wrong and/or unjust. Those are simply the values that dominate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality