Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Hold your fire, Pet. I think Griff is on our side (Theistic evolution). I could be wrong.
It's not meant to be fire. I think a lot of unbelievers become unbelievers in just this way. You pull one frayed thread and the entire mess unravels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Not that it matters to anyone what I think, but for the record I DO believe in evolution, and as far as deities are concerned, I don't default to the belief in them, though I acknowledge I could be wrong. Whether or not a god or gods exist is simply more than any human knows.

I certainly don't feel there is a specific deity or gods-pantheon we can point to (Yahweh, the Norse or Greek gods, et al.) and say "Ah. This god is real, and you can read this god's biography in the holy texts of this or that culture." That's nonsense, though I think most cultures' scriptures contain beauty, wisdom and philosophical truth.

At base, I suppose I most identify as an apathetic agnostic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's not meant to be fire. I think a lot of unbelievers become unbelievers in just this way. You pull one frayed thread and the entire mess unravels.

Thanks. Both. I don't know how the exchange started, but clearly, evolution isn't the issue. And sortagod belief isn't either. It is organized religion that is our agenda and atheists, agnostics and irreligious theists even can share mess tins about that.

And even if we can (once the untoward influence of Church on State has been eliminated) live and let live with religion(s) there has to be one thing upon which all people with their heads affixed correctly, religious or not can agree. Crackpot cults that bilk millions of dupes of their dollars and waste it on building Biblebased Potterland fantasies cannot be tolerated. They and their nonsensical creation museums have to be shown up as muddle-headed flummery, and dangerous flummery too.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-11-2016 at 05:39 AM..

Old 07-11-2016, 08:01 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
Last night I was texting with a friend about this bs and how they have dinosaurs on the Ark. To which I joked that if Noah could take dinosaurs why didn't he take a unicorn.

Quote:
"Visitors will see life-size models of animals inside the 510-foot replica of the ark, like elephants, UNICORNS, komodo dragons and velociraptors.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Last night I was texting with a friend about this bs and how they have dinosaurs on the Ark. To which I joked that if Noah could take dinosaurs why didn't he take a unicorn.

I'm going to risk it...

When I first heard the claim that dinosaurs were on the Ark, I wondered "Why?" The Flood surely was the explanation for the extinction. Why on earth have dinosaurs on the Ark when you didn't need to? I found out later that Creationists were forced to put dinosaurs on the Ark when they decided which were the strata laid down by the flood and then it was pointed out that there were dinosaur tracks in the flood levels.

Therefore dinosaurs had to have survived the Flood and thus Noah must have had dinosaurs on the Ark, too. That really meant that he needed to have ALL prehistoric animals on the ark.

This made things much harder than just present species (which they had to get around by reducing them to a few basic "Kinds" and proposing a lightning evolution after they were let out). Not only had you doubled the "Kinds" that needed to be on the Ark, but the fossils below the 'Flood" levels showed no Baryma or Basic "Kinds" but hundreds of species, all of which needed to be on the Ark.

Thus (aside that you need all the prehistoric amphibians and insects as well as dinosaurs), Hamm's token Juvenile produce -everything Baryma dinosaur models are totally at variance with the facts and if he doesn't know that, he ought to. Either way it is banking on his potential audience not knowing any better.

Thus we are obliged as a social duty to disabuse the people of the wool that these people are trying to pull over their eyes.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I'm going to risk it...

When I first heard the claim that dinosaurs were on the Ark, I wondered "Why?" The Flood surely was the explanation for the extinction. Why on earth have dinosaurs on the Ark when you didn't need to? I found out later that Creationists were forced to put dinosaurs on the Ark when they decided which were the strata laid down by the flood and then it was pointed out that there were dinosaur tracks in the flood levels.

Therefore dinosaurs had to have survived the Flood and thus Noah must have had dinosaurs on the Ark, too. That really meant that he needed to have ALL prehistoric animals on the ark.

This made things much harder than just present species (which they had to get around by reducing them to a few basic "Kinds" and proposing a lightning evolution after they were let out). Not only had you doubled the "Kinds" that needed to be on the Ark, but the fossils below the 'Flood" levels showed no Baryma or Basic "Kinds" but hundreds of species, all of which needed to be on the Ark.

Thus (aside that you need all the prehistoric amphibians and insects as well as dinosaurs), Hamm's token Juvenile produce -everything Baryma dinosaur models are totally at variance with the facts and if he doesn't know that, he ought to. Either way it is banking on his potential audience not knowing any better.

Thus we are obliged as a social duty to disabuse the people of the wool that these people are trying to pull over their eyes.
I wonder how thick those gopher wood floors would have had to be, to support the weight of two brachiosauruses, which weighed 80 tons each.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:00 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I had a pet bird that could reason. That bird was an eye opener. I had no idea just how smart birds can be. Chickens not so much but my chicken knew how to ask for earthworms to be dug for her. I wish I had made a video of her doing that. But chickens are pretty dumb. My myna bird on the other hand was smart and playful and cheeky (what fun!) And birds do dream! OK, so they don't do math and intellectual stuff but just look at the size of their brain. It's tiny! I would give it wine or cheese as per it's request (answer to my question actually). It would come when called and once said "no". Amazing experience.

Animals can reason.
Alex the gray parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXoTaZotdHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I've had plenty of experiences growing up with dogs and cats. Guess what, they pretty much all act the same! If I want a friendly energetic dog, I go get a lab because guess what, they pretty much all act the same. A room of 10 human beings vs a room of 10 dogs of the same breed is not even remotely equivalent when gauging distinct personality traits.
You need to watch the videos of Koko the gorilla here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCOHUXmEZg

Old 07-11-2016, 10:09 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
I'm going to risk it...

Therefore dinosaurs had to have survived the Flood and thus Noah must have had dinosaurs on the Ark, too. That really meant that he needed to have ALL prehistoric animals on the ark...
See, I've actually heard the "argument" that the fossil record was placed here by The Devil to fool people. I've heard folks say that in a few different places online and in print, and recently.

I mean, that's no more outlandishly ridiculous than having all these extra prehistoric creatures suddenly having to be included in the ark's cargo of fauna.

Why not just go with that?

Another "argument" I've heard is that the ark didn't contain live animals, but fertilized eggs which were brought to term on dry land after the flood.

You heard that one?

Talk about goal-post moving.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
See, I've actually heard the "argument" that the fossil record was placed here by The Devil to fool people. I've heard folks say that in a few different places online and in print, and recently.

I mean, that's no more outlandishly ridiculous than having all these extra prehistoric creatures suddenly having to be included in the ark's cargo of fauna.

Why not just go with that?

Another "argument" I've heard is that the ark didn't contain live animals, but fertilized eggs which were brought to term on dry land after the flood.

You heard that one?

Talk about goal-post moving.
I would like to have seen those fertilized eggs rolling or bouncing along, making their way to the Ark.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,946 times
"Duggar sister earns mockery after posting photos of her Noah’s Ark trip."

Duggar sister earns mockery after posting photos of her Noah’s Ark trip

Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I wonder how thick those gopher wood floors would have had to be, to support the weight of two brachiosauruses, which weighed 80 tons each.
You didn't need them. Ken Ham's wooden barred cage on the Ark contains a couple of plastic Diplodocus -like juvenile Baryma about the size of a small pony. This of course overlooks that all the dinosaur species existed before the Flood and it is those that needed to be on the Ark, not a starter - kit for all the dinosaur species to super -evolve after the Flood. There is a get - out hypothesis, but I'll let him think of that - if enough people think of it and start asking awkward questions.

I can't believe I am even having to explain this mad idea in the 21st c, but it was just same in the days of the Flat earth -believers cult up to the seventies. But of course they didn't manage to get the flat earth seen as an article of Faith upon which your salvation depended. If they had, they'd have been flying Learjets from flat -earth Museum to Flat earth Encounter -park, giving lectures telling schoolkids that the flat earth should be taught in the Geography class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality