Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:02 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You just can't admit you were wrong on the evolution, past flood and last Temple threads can you?
Why should I as everyone who can read saw that you have no claims that stood up, you were either profoundly or willfully uninformed on the subject and ended up with the usual denial and backchat. Game over, sunshine, whether you admit it or not.

Tell me old mate, why do you do this? Is it like Charlie Brown "I think you get a sort of weird pleasure out of losing all the time." or it is just your old "Nobody can beat me!" remark, or what? Why do you never remember the discussions and we have to go through it all, time and again? Is it like denying that you got beat means you can try to win all over again? How can you with the same material? I get even more information, but you have to drop some arguments (Polystrates, for instance, once one of your staple arguments). I find it very ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6MkESn1v1w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:12 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
FFRF warning more than 1,000 school districts about new “Noah’s Ark”

- See more at: FFRF warning more than 1,000 school districts about new

Pleased to see that the FFRF is reminding schools not to mix religion with school, and advising them of what the law is.

Of course, we know there will be a backlash from the fundevangelicals, but their sects never do accept that church and state really, really have to stay separate.
Well with that logic, a trip to the Sistine Chapel would be a violation. This is getting really stupid. A trip to see a building is not establishing religion.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
I want to see that albatross float. If it claims to be true to form, they should make it float.

I would rather go to Disney.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I want to see that albatross float. If it claims to be true to form, they should make it float.

I would rather go to Disney.
But here is where it is screwed up, the parents and kids who desire to go cannot be permitted , that's just as bad as an established religion and telling you that you are not permitted to worship or not worship as you choose...

Old 07-07-2016, 07:46 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
But here is where it is screwed up, the parents and kids who desire to go cannot be permitted , that's just as bad as an established religion and telling you that you are not permitted to worship or not worship as you choose...
Nonsense. Individuals who wish to visit the new theme park certainly are free to do so.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Nonsense. Individuals who wish to visit the new theme park certainly are free to do so.
Did you read the article?...Those that desire to have a class trip there are not allowed...

Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
Did you read the article?...Those that desire to have a class trip there are not allowed...
Yes, I did. Do you understand the difference between an individual and a government-funded public school?
If I want to visit the theme park, I can. Nothing is stopping me. If I want to take my family along, I certainly can. If I want to take other people's children, during school hours, and get the taxpayer to subsidize the trip, that's tough cookies.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well with that logic, a trip to the Sistine Chapel would be a violation. This is getting really stupid. A trip to see a building is not establishing religion.
The Sistine chapel is an artwork. The Hammy Ark is a work of Creationist propaganda; nothing more. Creationism is not permitted in a science class, and indeed, since it was shown to be merely religion dressed in a Lab coat, isn't appropriate in school at all, and you can't get around it by taking the class to the Creationism.

There is nothing to stop people going, and I am sure the ever - ingenious Creationist teachers will find a way of getting around it, but the marker is down. You don't do it as an overt school trip.

Petunia straightened Richard out admirably. It was a matter of wonder that it needed to be done. I really wonder whether the Believers properly read these articles or stop to understand them. I think they just get a flash of: "Christians stopped from doing something religious" and they immediately start screaming.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-07-2016 at 08:22 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 08:16 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Mom and Dad are still free to take their kids.

Churches are still free to take their Sunday School class.

Private schools run by churches are still free to take their kids.

Public schools are not free to take their kids. That's the point.

I would suppose that the workaround for a public school is to take a comparative religion or sociology class to the park to study it for what it is. Sadly, unlike, say, the UK, I don't believe such classes exist in American primary or secondary education today. It is anathema to teach the Bible as literature, mythos, ideology, or anything other than "historic truth" and "the word of god".

Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:

Nothing is stopping home- schooled parents from taking their children. Nothing is stopping parochial schools from going.

Public schools are a different matter. Public money should not be spent to take children to this Ark.

The parents of public school students are free to organize a trip without using public school funds, and time. They simply rent a bus and take them on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality