Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 05:42 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What does anything you said have to do with the church paying for five houses, including utilities, for the Meyers family?
You should start up a collection for poor Joyce...in case she needs spa-time or sumthin to help her cope with all the stress this must be causing her. Or maybe we could pay to fly June there to administer some Talk Therapy to make her feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 05:47 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
If she had one nice house, I really wouldn't give a damn. I don't expect her to live in a cardboard shack (we have far too many people in that situation already), but I would expect someone to whom pride is supposedly a 'deadly sin' to be a bit more mindful of appearances.

And yeah, the IRS would have nailed her if she was really doing something 'wrong'. That's not my point.

My point is that she owns five homes. Why? Answer that one simple question: why?

What can she possibly do in her ministry with five homes that isn't possible with just one?

Why do you think it's 'justifiable' that she lives the life of a Tom Cruise or a Will Smith, when humility is one of the core tenets of the Christian faith?

Why is she buying five houses when there are approximately 3.5 million people in the US that don't even have one? Isn't that an expression of 'greed'? That's another of the 'seven deadlies', by the way.
I wonder when exactly in the history of Christianity (excluding the Roman Catholics) that pastors began living high on the hog?...

Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Top 15 Ways Pastors Get Rich.

1. The Multilevel Marketing Pattern

2. Books

3. DVDs

4. Hyped Conferences

5. The Christian Speaking Circuit

6. Pastor Owned Businesses that Feed Off the Flock

7. The Honor the Pastor Scam

8. High Pressure Offerings

9. Cathedral Building Wars

10. Siphoning Cash into Property

11. Excessive Wages

12. Perks

13. Nepotism

14. Their Fabricated Tithing Doctrine

15. The Carrot and the Stick

-http://tallskinnykiwi.typepad.com/tallskinnykiwi/2012/01/top-15-ways-pastors-get-rich.html

Old 07-09-2016, 07:16 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
All 5 or 10 of them?
Personally I believe it should only be the house you live in, not 2 or 5 or 10.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What does anything you said have to do with the church paying for five houses, including utilities, for the Meyers family?
Their church agreed to it. If the members had any brains in their heads they'd stop supporting such a crooked woman, stop attending her church and start attending a different one. Doesn't change the fact that it's a religion's choice to support her lavish lifestyle. And that decision by that religion is legally tax exempt.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 07-10-2016 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Comments were political, rather than pertaining to religion. As such, off topic.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,685 times
Just to get the facts straight, there is no church, there are no parishioners and there are no "parsonages." Joyce Meyer is a Christian teacher who has a ministry. She has written a bazillion books. I see them on sale at Walmart, KMart, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. Many people buy them, not just Christians. That's probably where a lot of her wealth comes from. Beyond that I don't know. But let's at least start with the facts.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:27 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Just to get the facts straight, there is no church, there are no parishioners and there are no "parsonages." Joyce Meyer is a Christian teacher who has a ministry. She has written a bazillion books. I see them on sale at Walmart, KMart, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. Many people buy them, not just Christians. That's probably where a lot of her wealth comes from. Beyond that I don't know. But let's at least start with the facts.
Your point is well taken. The URL cited by the OP is from a Christian site and is referring to her as a pastor but what she operates is what is technically termed a "para-church ministry", essentially she is an author and public speaker on Christian topics but she is not a "pastor" and does not operate a "church".

I think the OP can be forgiven for assuming that a sympathetic Christian source is accurately referring to her in articles it posts, but this article probably reflects contention within the church pitting the so-called "prosperity gospel" promoters against those who oppose the notion. So the article is probably not as biased in her favor as one might initially suspect.

That said, she still operates a 503(c) non-profit and has to abide by the IRS rules for those ... and the qualifications, ethically speaking, would be very similar to those of a church pastor, particularly of a megachurch.

It looks like the IRS has let her off the hook and she has taken a more defensibly transparent method of operation since. She used to donate her book royalties to her non-profit ministry and now keeps them for herself, which means she pays taxes on her book royalties which are no longer offset by "donating" them to her ministry. And while she can no longer benefit from those "donations" being used to buy her personal things, it has probably cut the overhead of the non-profit and improved its ratings as well. In fact her nonprofit is now certified by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Your point is well taken. The URL cited by the OP is from a Christian site and is referring to her as a pastor but .....she is an author and public speaker on Christian topics but she is not a "pastor" and does not operate a "church".
yet another thread started by cupper where he can't even get the story straight, but resorts to his rabid frothing, fraught with inaccuracies. she is not a pastor, she does not have a church, and she does not have parishioners. She is a successful author.

once again cupper and his knee jerk National Enquirer mentality and lack of credibility,
yet another example of he "read it on the internet so it must be true"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-10-2016 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 06:54 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
The tax exemption for churches need to be abolished. NO reason why a church and the employees should be exempt from taxes.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yet another thread started by cupper where he can't even get the story straight, but resorts to his rabid frothing, fraught with inaccuracies. she is not a pastor,
From the linked article, she is quoted as saying: "You can be a businessman here in St. Louis, and people think the more you have, the more wonderful it is … but if you’re a preacher, then all of a sudden it becomes a problem.”

Quote:
she does not have a church,
The article repeatedly refers to her ministry, and it's tax exempt status.

Quote:
and she does not have parishioners.
The article makes reference to her followers.

Quote:
She is a successful author.

once again cupper and his knee jerk National Enquirer mentality and lack of credibility,
yet another example of he "read it on the internet so it must be true"
So cupper linked to a Christian site talking about her ministry, her tax exempt status, her followers, and the fact that the organization provides housing for her. I think he pretty much nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality