Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
No he didn't - according to you he knows everything. He knows exactly what you are going to do before even you do. It's all planned out beforehand. He knows if you are going to do something wrong before you do - he foresees it - therefore you have no choice - it's already written into your destiny.
I can give my daughter a choice of 2 bowls: one containing raw liver, and one with ice cream and her favorite topping. I know which one she'll choose. That doesn't mean I choose for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I can give my daughter a choice of 2 bowls: one containing raw liver, and one with ice cream and her favorite topping. I know which one she'll choose. That doesn't mean I choose for her.
Again, the fundie attempts to equate the omnimax deity with the mortal parent.

You can give her the choice of the two but you DON'T know what she will choose. You can have a very good idea of her choice based on your experiences with her preferences but you can't know 100% because you are not able to read her mind so she could choose the liver and thus prove you wrong.

Now let's imagine that you are an omnimax deity and you know 100%, due to your omniscience, that she will choose the ice-cream. Can she choose the liver and thus prove you wrong? Of course she can't. That is why 'free-will' cannot exist with an omnimax deity.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Again, the fundie attempts to equate the omnimax deity with the mortal parent.
And it's weird how that changes to "How can you even compare God to a human/earthly parent? What makes you think God would have to act as a human parent would act?" when people ask why God doesn't take care of people in the same ways we take care of our children.

So I guess this is just another case of "whatever works to win an argument" v. "whatever the actual truth is, THAT'S what I want to know".

Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Quote:
If your daughter were Native, she might choose the raw liver./kidney Ice cream with all the toppings is unhealthy for diabetics. Whereas eating raw kidneys was common for our people. I wonder why you would not even give your daughter the choice for COOKED liver.

Must be that Christian love shining through again. Or you were just trying to come up with the worst scenario you could think of to make your point.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
If your daughter were Native, she might choose the raw liver. Ice cream with all the toppings is unhealthy for diabetics. Whereas eating raw kidneys was common for our people. I wonder why you would not even give your daughter the choice for COOKED liver.

Must be that Christian love shining through again. Or you were just trying to come up with the worst scenario you could think of to make your point.
I'm not sure of FN, but certainly Inuit would take the raw liver first. Unless it came from a polar bear. That would kill you with an overdose of vitamin A.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
And what if you gave your daughter a choice of two ice creams she DID like?

If you "knew" in that case, either

1. you "knew" it because you predestined it to be that way - a la God who supposedly has "created" every single thing to do exactly what it's going to do, per His Perfect Plan, or

2. you were psychic, which if we're still equating this to God, would mean God DOES know what's going to happen but still doesn't do anything about it, He doesn't even tell you it's coming so that you at least have a fair chance at CHOOSING the option that will prevent the bad thing from happening (if what you're choosing is going to be detrimental, even deadly, whether you knew that or not and whether you were being "obedient" or not - i.e. I might choose to drive the long way to look at the scenery as I occasionally do, and it just happens that a huge truck will be coming from the opposite direction and swerve into my lane, killing me and my children instantly).

Now. Let's suppose you give your daughter a choice between two ice creams, which is a bit of a steeper difficulty curve than giving her the choice between something she loves and something that literally makes her vomit at the sight of. But that should be a piece of cake for God, the All-Knowing. Given this scenario:

What if you knew your daughter would choose one she DOESN'T usually choose?

What if you knew she wasn't going to choose either because she just didn't feel like ice cream?

What if you knew she would have one bowl, then sneak the other bowl later, even if that was something previously uncharacteristic of her?

What if you knew she would choose her usual favorite flavor, eat it and then throw up?

Would those just be about basically knowing her nature OR would they be about literally being able to predict every single thing that was going to happen, and in which order?

Because supposedly, God does. It isn't as simple as "well, God guesses we'd chose ice cream over raw liver, duh."

So how would it be possible for you to know every single thing that was to happen, and in which order? That's another "duh," by the way. Obviously, it's either because you're psychic with 100% accuracy (but never warning anyone of anything or helping prevent disaster), OR you CREATED everything to happen in exactly the order it would happen.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
It does if you know she doesn't like liver raw or cooked.

Derp

Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
It does if you know she doesn't like liver raw or cooked.

Derp
Nonsense. She still would use her free will to make the choice of either, or nothing at all.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. She still would use her free will to make the choice of either, or nothing at all.
Against what you've predicted?

So you just KNOW she'll choose pistachio.

But because she has the free will to choose, even though you KNEW it would be pistachio, it actually turns out to be strawberry?

Not possible, I should think.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Against what you've predicted?

So you just KNOW she'll choose pistachio.

But because she has the free will to choose, even though you KNEW it would be pistachio, it actually turns out to be strawberry?

Not possible, I should think.
I never mentioned strawberry or pistachio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality