Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:11 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm not offended, but I find offensive humor enjoyable.

I do think the joke is in poor tastes, and while I'm not offended, I'm also not laughing. As a fan of comedy, this is really terrible comedy. It lacks depth and frankly just isn't clever. I've heard all of the dyslexia jokes involving misspelling a word slightly. They just aren't that funny once they've been done this much. So the sign is still trash, regardless of who it's targeting (I missed the part when Jesus explained the terms and conditions of love your neighbor as yourself) or who's saying it.

The church sign asking whoever was praying for snow was a good laugh though. I think the idea that prayer can effect weather is absurd, but that didn't stop that one from being funny. Because it was kind of clever. Just bringing that up as a point of reference before someone claims I'm saying it's not funny because I'm biased or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Might as well call this the eggshell generation. With all the major problems going on, people are throwing a fit over a church sign joke? A bit insensitive, but I seriously doubt the intent was to be disrespectful or mean to disabled people
Irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:16 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
I'm dyslexic and I am not even the tiniest bit offended. But then, I am not an atheist, so maybe that's only offensive to dyslexic atheists?

I think it is a silly thing to put on the church sign, but anyone who finds it offensive is way too sensitive.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,658 times
The sign fits well with the personalities of many Christians that I know. Especially the fundamentalist Pentecostal types like the church that put up that sign. They are some of the most hateful, judgmental, selfish, angry and bitter people that I have ever met.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM

23,169 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Stupid sign. My step father has been taking pictures of signs like that for decades, he has 100s of them and some of them are so freaking stupid but I think this one tops the list. I don't think dude meant it as mean or evil, he is just stuck on stupid.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:08 PM

20,018 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is morally wrong on all counts, without exception.
It misspells "atheist" too, although they would probably claim that as part of the joke.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Well, we could always get into palindromes. I kind of get a kick out of this one:

"dog food lid"
That's a good one, but not a palindrome (a word or phrase that is the same either backwords or forwards, such as "A car, a man, a maraca."

Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
That's a good one, but not a palindrome (a word or phrase that is the same either backwords or forwards, such as "A car, a man, a maraca."
You're correct. Heck, that's twice in two days I made a mistake on here. Still like that one though.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:44 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
You're correct. Heck, that's twice in two days I made a mistake on here. Still like that one though.

Considering that some of the Bible believers as at least one likes to be called can make more mistakes on a single post making two in two days is nothing to brag about

Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Think maybe, just maybe all that seminary schooling would have instilled some empathy into the pastor, doncha think?
Or maybe he is just tired of atheists constantly mocking and bashing Christians.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
I don't find it offensive. It's not that funny but not offensive.

I guess most of you haven't seen a comedian. You must have been in your safe place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality