Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 03:06 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Or maybe he is just tired of atheists constantly mocking and bashing Christians.
Be honest, how often does that happen outside of this forum. I've rarely seen it happen. The few times it does is when someone (on either side) is making a spectacle of themselves in a public space. I've yet to see someone walk up to a Christian in a Walmart and mock them for wearing a cross necklace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 03:16 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Be honest, how often does that happen outside of this forum. I've rarely seen it happen. The few times it does is when someone (on either side) is making a spectacle of themselves in a public space. I've yet to see someone walk up to a Christian in a Walmart and mock them for wearing a cross necklace.
It's part of the "We poor Christians are so mistreated and persecuted--just like Jesus said we would be!" paradigm espoused by so many.

The fact is, 80% or better of all Americans self-identify as Christians. Even more so in earlier times. You cannot drive 6 blocks in any town across this nation without seeing at least one church, a mega-church, or a church billboard. We have had "faith-based initiatives" as well as "sin taxes" and "blue laws" that are nearly all the result of Christian belief. Christians have their own chains of businesses, clothing lines, publishing companies, television stations, radio stations, record labels, and so on and so on. And that is all well and good, and how it should be. This is a free country. People should be free to worship how they want and if Christians and some churches want to worship mammon and get into Capitalism and reap profits, more power to them. Whatever.

But don't then turn around and act as if Christians are some heaped-upon, marginalized group that is treated shamefully or have to hide their faith or can't proclaim their beliefs without being mocked, etc.

That's the biggest pile of steaming, stinking nonsense imaginable. It's a pure lie. It doesn't jibe with reality at all, in any way. It's delusional.

Yes, I do believe there are "militant atheists" and people who truly do hate the idea of this or that religion, etc., but just as not all Muslims are terrorists and not all Christians are members of the KKK, most atheists are not like that.

Atheists simply disbelieve in gods. Disbelief doesn't equal hatred.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Leaving the misspelling aside...

I have a feeling this church was trying to be cool and funny in order to appeal to rather than (as usual) turn off atheists.

Proof that the very religious realize how much cooler and funnier atheists are. (I kid, I kid...)

But it's kind of like somebody's dad coming into the living room where the teenagers are hanging out and going, "What it is, all my sick homies? What's the 411? Put 'er there, Jack" and extending one hand backward.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But it's kind of like somebody's dad coming into the living room where the teenagers are hanging out and going, "What it is, all my sick homies? What's the 411? Put 'er there, Jack" and extending one hand backward.
Ha! That cracks me up because I do this sometimes purposefully (and ironically) to embarrass the heck outta my teenage daughters when they have friends over. Just trying to "play" that "pathetic father figure trying so hard, and failing spectacularly, at being hip."

Oh, they hate it when I do that. And their friends have no idea how to take me after that. Am I actually funny? am I just a sad joke? Do I really think I'm being cool and with it?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not huge on political correctness, but don't accept making fun of disabled either. I'll leave that to the Trump supporters.

Church sign making fun of dyslexia, atheists has many offended - Story | WJBK

A local school administrator said this:
"I was offended by it," she said. "People who have dyslexia, they have a disability. It's very insensitive to put something like this in the public eye."
It's a lame attempt at an old joke. I've heard that one before by stand-up comics and on facebook memes.

Many churches routinely try to post funny stuff on their signs. I never really have seen the point. It's not my thing.

Nothing better to whine about today?

Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Ha! That cracks me up because I do this sometimes purposefully (and ironically) to embarrass the heck outta my teenage daughters when they have friends over. Just trying to "play" that "pathetic father figure trying so hard, and failing spectacularly, at being hip."

Oh, they hate it when I do that. And their friends have no idea how to take me after that. Am I actually funny? am I just a sad joke? Do I really think I'm being cool and with it?
Your so cool beans with me, sound like a wonderful father, Dang the bad luck though, I only have one daughter, so mad that I don't have 7 daughters at least. Heard some guy say in a movie that he would murder the whole world behind his daughter lol, kinda the way I feel about it. If I had to a choice, sorry guys, all ya''ll gonna die.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I'd be more impressed if their sign said:

Food Bank Open
All Are Welcome

Old 07-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd be more impressed if their sign said:

Food Bank Open
All Are Welcome
Well, apparently I can't rep you again right now, but--right on.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Well, apparently I can't rep you again right now, but--right on.
I tried to rep Dew drop for you but it said he wasn't a real person.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I tried to rep Dew drop for you but it said he wasn't a real person.
Ha--I want to rep you too, but can't for awhile. Besides, your last few posts said nice things about me and I didn't want to seem like I was capitalizing on that. But, back at'cha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality